Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Gutter Cleaning

Ive started doing some gutter cleaning for extra income. Im charging $50 an hr min. (was at a place today and was there 10min- but they are not all like that..lol)

I dont know if im cheap or not...anyone else do it and what do u charge?

Im using a ladder and brickies gloves and a bucket and an L shaped type tool from the hardware store.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

MattsMowing
MattsMowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Business Name:Matt's Mowing

Gutter Cleaning

i dont charge per hour, just by job for gutters,    

basic small to medium size single level home i charge $60

large size single level i charge $70-$80 depending on the size.

personally dont do multi level homes  but im sure people would charge more for working at the extra height

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Gutter Cleaning

When i was silly enough to do gutters I was charging $60-$80 that was about 5 years ago,before i fell off my pergola roof ( actual fall was only about 6-8 feet) and broke a couple of ribs and fractured my ankle and couldn't work at all for a week and barely work for a number of weeks and it took months to fully recover and i realised climbing ladders and doing gutters just isn't worth what  people will pay

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Gutter Cleaning

When i was silly enough to do gutters I was charging $60-$80 that was about 5 years ago,before i fell off my pergola roof ( actual fall was only about 6-8 feet) and broke a couple of ribs and fractured my ankle and couldn't work at all for a week and barely work for a number of weeks and it took months to fully recover and i realised climbing ladders and doing gutters just isn't worth what  people will pay

Oh i concur!! I recall being stuck up a very tall single stem Palm and the ladder falling away. Forget me for ladders and saws etc etc

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

Chris
Chris

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Gutter Cleaning

$100 minimum for a single story unit/ 2 bedroom house with a low pitched roof and less than an hours work. Double story, 4 bedroom with a decent pitch and it's easy $450. They don't like it I don't care, not getting on a slippery roof for any less than that, even with my $700 harness system. I'm all for the danger pay if I can do it safely.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:03 PM

Dazzah
Dazzah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Gutter Cleaning

Not to rain in yer parade here guys, but two things.
One, be very wary of getting on tin roofs these days what with Bunny Sparkys
running their home mods... not forgetting the roof bat saga and what may have
been missed in subsequent inspections. A simple voltage tester can be had from
that same Bunny store.
Next, OH&S require restraints/safety lines above 3M in many places.
Safe as you may be there are the Louvre Lils owning speed dial to Regulators.
Just recently a builder friend had to "greensheet" one side of his site to stop
the local wannabe 'inspector' from seeing enough to ring OH&S officers.

Trust it helps ...
Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:39 PM
Caveat: Following this Bull you can look at the tracks or look under the tail. You take away what You see.
[panorama] 'Back to the Future' scene from "Finding Bazza"..see-Dazza on Bazza(YouTube)
Dazza2015_pana.jpg

Sando
Sando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Business Name:Sando's Home Services

Gutter Cleaning

The fact is, most jobs are going to be redundant because government scum and scam insurance companies keep intruding and using the imperfections of people and the what ifs as a way to extort money from people. Some call it revenue raising. That is too nice a term though. It is EXTORTION.

Now why did i say this? Because simply cleaning gutters is not cleaning gutters anymore. The rules are that you must have your feet below 8ft and you must be able to choose the right way to carry out a job, using all the steps to get to the best choice.  NOW.....Who is going to pay for all this garbage. You are told to clean your gutter, to prevent fires etc but to clean them you need hundreds, even thousands of dollars worth of equipment such as harnesses and scaffolding and everything else, which makes the job not even worth quoting, because people are just going to laugh, when you give them the figure.

Everything is just getting thrown back onto the little person including the amount we earn, meanwhile these scum use all of our hard earned money to do it the way they say. Drive around in hundred thousand dollar truck fitted with the best of cherry pickers and everything else and have 10 man crews, while we get laughed at because we have to do it as they say. And make no mistake, whether you have a white card or no card,  it will always fall back on you, eve though you were just trying to survive in this corrupted hunk junk world by trying to do the right thing and work. No wonder there are so many drugged idiots now who don't care. What is the use i guess, if you are continually fighting just to survive. that aint living, that is just imprisonment.

My point is, $50, $60 etc all sounds good but if you did it the right way it would cost you thousands and the customer would need to pay for that and in the end, you would get no work due to this. If you fall and break you ribs, you will be told how naughty you were and that you should have worn a harness. Not only that, if you landed on Mrs Jones' pot plant and smashed it, you now have to pay for that too, out of nothing because you now can't work due to injury to pay for it.

This is why everything is dying in the ####. Not many people can see it but i can. Have to pay $250 to get a working at heights ticket. Now when you do gutters, there has to be procedures in place (anchor points etc) $300 harness kits, that could be damaged after the firsy job. The anchor point has to be done by a licenced builder. If using scaffolding, it has to be installed by a licenced erector. If using cheery picker, You have to have an EWP, which is $500 or something. Not to mention all the extra time it takes to use all the things, compared to jumping on a roof and scooping out the debris.

Your quote is $4238

And customer says GFY.

Once again you are treated like dirt for doing the supposed right way and folling supposed laws that you and the customer apparently approved of, because they asked you remember? Thats right, they asked me and apparently we all agreed to this new rubbish laws. Now they can do all these things to whatever they like, charge as much as they like, be paid what they like and it all comes from your pocket, inb the form of tax (extortion).

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Gutter Cleaning

Well said Sando!, I don't do gutters at all anymore having more than enough "safer" work to do keeps me busy. On a side note is everyone aware that you need a herbicibe distribution licence just to spray weeds?, it's easy to get and keeps everything legal should the worst occur.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

martin89
martin89

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationtamworth
  • Business Name:Martins Gardening Service

Gutter Cleaning

I use a stihl gutter cleaner attachment on my blower. Does a good job, fairly quick & only need to use ladder to check gutters before & after job. I quote $80-$100 per hr but usually finish them a lot quicker
Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

martin89
martin89

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationtamworth

Gutter Cleaning

Maybe i could attach a mirror to a long pole so i wouldnt need a ladder at all lol
Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gutter Cleaning

I use a stihl gutter cleaner attachment on my blower. Does a good job, fairly quick & only need to use ladder to check gutters before & after job. I quote $80-$100 per hr but usually finish them a lot quicker

I have one of those to.

It does an OK job when the gutters are dry. You will do a better job getting up onto the roof and walk around the gutter.

I bought a wet and dry vac to modify for a cheap gutter vac system. Ill have to get back onto that project soon. Gave up around 16 gutter jobs this financial year due to weather and the approach of winter. (i do around 20 a month in spring and summer easy)

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

martin89
martin89

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationtamworth

Gutter Cleaning

Got this today, seems to work pretty well. maybe worth looking at for those who use ladders.

Attached Files

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

formally just lawns
formally just lawns

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLismore Nsw
  • Business Name:Matthew's Lawn Care

Gutter Cleaning

I have one of those to.

It does an OK job when the gutters are dry. You will do a better job getting up onto the roof and walk around the gutter.

I bought a wet and dry vac to modify for a cheap gutter vac system. Ill have to get back onto that project soon. Gave up around 16 gutter jobs this financial year due to weather and the approach of winter. (i do around 20 a month in spring and summer easy)

let us know how you go with that project,

could make a few of our lives easier 

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gutter Cleaning

let us know how you go with that project,

could make a few of our lives easier  

I'll be using one of these https://www.kincrome...-s-pto-dual-mot as the base. Just need to make up some Pvc tubing and get a Genni to run it..

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

Bazz61
Bazz61

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Business Name:Dix Property Maintenance

Gutter Cleaning

where is the anchor point on a house ?....there are none ...you could put a static line over the roof and tie off but if you did fall then the gutters would take all the weight ...and still risk hitting the ground as most fall arrest system need 5 odd meters plus ..unless you use a retractable  lanyard but even then they are only supposed  be used vertically  .the best option is a mobile scaffold but only good on flat ground ....really it is a mine field with safety

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales