45 replies to this topic
The Lawn Prospect
The Lawn Prospect

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCentral Queensland

Need Help For First Push Mower

Just starting a mowing business for second job in central QLD.

Want to buy something decent to get me through the early stages of the business till i decide to invest further. ie zero turn.

Have owned a Masport for a while and never had a drama. 

Been reading lots about the Hondas and ROVERS also here on the forums. 

I have a budget up to about 700

I like the masport side chute and mulch options. What size deck would you reccomend starting out?(mostly residential with a little commercial)

Cheers for the advice

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

The Lawn Prospect
The Lawn Prospect

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

http://www.victa.com...-mowers/VGMA484

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

In the Victa range this one:-

http://www.victa.com...-mowers/VGMA489

would be a better bet for commercial use - it has a more powerful Briggs IC (Industrial/Commercial) engine.

Your budget is just a shade low to get a new commercial grade 19", alloy deck push mower IMHO - if you can stretch to $800-$900 you'll have more choice.

Alternatively, I bought a Honda HRU196D secondhand in pretty good condition on Gumtree for $350 - it's been my main mower for the last month or so and seems unstoppable (probably shouldn't have said that :( )

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Staying with Victa for a moment

http://www.victa.com...-mowers/VGMD489

A bit more than your budget but as a couple of blokes here have found Oh what a difference a self propelled makes  :)

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:06 PM

The Lawn Prospect
The Lawn Prospect

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks heaps. I like the idea of having a self propelled option and the hard catcher.

So honda or that model honda is quality?

Any other models anyone reccomends?

Appreciate it
Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

Irishjim
Irishjim

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Business Name:Gnomore mowing and gardening

Rover procut 50 pushie can be picked up for under $600(not sure in QLD though)also Chinese honda196 copy with kohler xt 7/brigs 750 engine $550 or under..
Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:09 PM

Bruce
Bruce

Advanced Member

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

I'd be interested in seeing how the Victa commercials work out for contractors. But I can't comment on them.

As for starting out with very little in the kitty, that's exactly what I had to do due to circumstances at that time. I'd only offer this advice, to get the best commercial quality equipment you can - as soon as you can, even if that means delaying starting a few weeks or a few months, especially now we're entering the slow time anyways.

If you're still keen on going low cost to begin, then put everything aside that you have from then on in order to upgrade to better quality commercial gear as soon as possible. Which means the extra grand on top of the $700 you're considering starting with for the mower alone. Tho this considerably increases costs during the start up phase of the first couple of years.

Which from my own experience is serious false economy - with major hassles at almost every step of the way, as well as extremely more expensive in equipment costs in rapid replacements.

I had no choice than to start as I did at the time, with very little $$. I made my way and quickly started raking in the $$, and its changed my life ever since for the better. But my biggest mistake that I would redo over every single time - was that I put that money from the first year or two into wages and not into better commercial equipment.

My biggest mistake when starting out, was not my advertising, or pricing, or business name, or insurance, or car or trailer, or being slow/inefficient at my work. It was poor quality gear that only lasted a few months to a year, that broke down regularly in between time, that did a poor quality job - and inefficiently - and with greater stress on the body.

Do whatever you have to do to make a start. It's worth it. No matter what.

As soon as you can, buy the good gear.

My experience. Food for thought  :) Best of luck with the new venture !!

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

For all administration enquiries regarding Lawn Club, The Lawn Guide, Buffalo Lawn Care, and Lawn Care Advice websites, please click here to contact a representative of the website owners: Ozbreed or contact Ozbreed offices directly. All content on all sites is the exclusive property of Ozbreed P/L.

The Lawn Prospect
The Lawn Prospect

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks heaps irish jim and steve!

Think im gonna stretch to 800 odd like you said. Go for a bit more qualtity / commercial.

Masport 700AL, Rover pro cut 50, Masport president 6000AL SPV combo ic,

Toro timemaster 30, honda hrx217??????

Thanks again for any advice or experience !
Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

I'd be interested in seeing how the Victa commercials work out for contractors. But I can't comment on them.

As for starting out with very little in the kitty, that's exactly what I had to do due to circumstances at that time. I'd only offer this advice, to get the best commercial quality equipment you can - as soon as you can, even if that means delaying starting a few weeks or a few months, especially now we're entering the slow time anyways.

If you're still keen on going low cost to begin, then put everything aside that you have from then on in order to upgrade to better quality commercial gear as soon as possible. Which means the extra grand on top of the $700 you're considering starting with for the mower alone. Tho this considerably increases costs during the start up phase of the first couple of years.

Which from my own experience is serious false economy - with major hassles at almost every step of the way, as well as extremely more expensive in equipment costs in rapid replacements.

I had no choice than to start as I did at the time, with very little $$. I made my way and quickly started raking in the $$, and its changed my life ever since for the better. But my biggest mistake that I would redo over every single time - was that I put that money from the first year or two into wages and not into better commercial equipment.

My biggest mistake when starting out, was not my advertising, or pricing, or business name, or insurance, or car or trailer, or being slow/inefficient at my work. It was poor quality gear that only lasted a few months to a year, that broke down regularly in between time, that did a poor quality job - and inefficiently - and with greater stress on the body.

Do whatever you have to do to make a start. It's worth it. No matter what.

As soon as you can, buy the good gear.

My experience. Food for thought  :) Best of luck with the new venture !!

This is the very best advice you can take on.

I started out with what I had, bought a few things twice. 

You will notice the reliability of proper equipment. You will spend no time being annoyed at it, and less time maintaining it.

I started with the procut 50, upgraded to the 216 after 8 months. You do get what you pay for.

Dan

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:51 PM

liljohn
liljohn

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Business Name:M&K Lawns

im just starting out for myself aswell and i just spent $1149 on a 19" honda heritage push mower, $599 on a shindaiwa t260 and $300ish on a husqvarna blower/vac so ive layed out over 2k just to get 3 decent machines to start out with and at the moment i have 1 $40 job fortnightly.

reason i went with commercial gear is i used to be a small engine repairer and you wouldnt believe how regularly the local contractors that were using victa/masport residential gear were back for repairs. theyre just not built to stand up to abuse day in day out so if i was you id be looking at tripleing your budget to get qualty gear the first time as what you save by buying cheaper gear you will probably spend on repairs over the next 12 months unless you can do all your own repairs

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Thanks heaps irish jim and steve!

Think im gonna stretch to 800 odd like you said. Go for a bit more qualtity / commercial.

Masport 700AL, Rover pro cut 50, Masport president 6000AL SPV combo ic,

Toro timemaster 30, honda hrx217??????

Thanks again for any advice or experience !

I've been looking at the Rover Procut 50 or 560 - spoke to a store here in Brisbane, Bill Jacksons Mowerland. From their brand list it seems they have a bit to do with contractors. He strongly recommended going with the Kohler engine over the default "910". He couldn't comment on the durability of the drive unit as he said they hadn't been back on the market long enough after their recent company change. I may buy one next spring as I'm seeing the benefits of using a self propelled mower having always used push types in the past.

I've mainly used Honda mowers. I currently have HRU195, HRU196 19" push types and an HRU216D self propelled (recently bought on Gumtree). I've found their engines to be extremely reliable (with proper maintenance of course). No complaints with the chassis either (except he handle on the 216 feels a bit weak for a heavy mower)

The only issue with Hondas I've become aware of since returning to the game is grass clogging in the infamous "half-chute" self drive models - to accomodate the selfdrive unit the engineers narrowed the chute that feeds the catcher. I can confirm that's the case with my 216D - can't fault it on dry lawns but even a heavy dew on a thick couch lawn will cause me to have to unclog the chute  several times per mow. I'm not sure what the situation is with their current range. Others on here have way more experience than me using these models but something to be aware of when you're shopping. It's one reason I'm considering the Procut or maybe the Victa self propelled.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

Ill put up with the clogging of the honda over the rover anyday.
Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

Rob the Lawn Man
Rob the Lawn Man

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWinston Hills NSW
  • Business Name:Rob the Lawn Man

I've got an Ariens/Gravely self propelled with the Kawasaki fj180v engine. Goes great and like the Honda has a half shute that clogs. It's only a minor issue in my opinion.
Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Ill put up with the clogging of the honda over the rover anyday.

What are the negatives for you with the Rover Dan? I know nothing about them, just what I've googled. Productreview has a thread on them with a lot of good reviews for the older models, before the restructure but some negative ones on the new models.

Cheers

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

The Honda Heritage wont have a clogging problem as its a full shoot. Does have an engine break instead of the blade brake as its downfall.

For about the same price as the Heritage you can own a self propelled HRX217 (RRP $1199 ish)..... The HRX217 has allot of advantages over the Heritage/others and has a decent size shoot as well. I'm loving mine so far.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

The Honda Heritage wont have a clogging problem as its a full shoot. Does have an engine break instead of the blade brake as its downfall.

For about the same price as the Heritage you can own a self propelled HRX217 (RRP $1199 ish)..... The HRX217 has allot of advantages over the Heritage/others and has a decent size shoot as well. I'm loving mine so far.

But lets not forget on a push mower the blade brake adds 5kg to the weight

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

liljohn
liljohn

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Only thing im considering doing to my heritage is removing the engine brake and fitting an engine kill switch as the throttle assembly has the hole for the factory switch but ill wait a while and see how annoying it gets first. 

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 763 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

The Rover and the Victa have unreliable drive systems, Rover have not made any changes that I know of, you would only buy one for a wet day mower if you like mowing in the rain lol. The clogging chute in the wet on the 216 is not a problem with a few mods.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

The Lawn Prospect
The Lawn Prospect

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

thanks for the input

been looking at the red commercial range from masport , particularly the 800 st 3n1 SP

http://www.masport.c...-s21-3-n1-sp-ic

what do you guys think? had any experiences with it?

cheers

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

liljohn
liljohn

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

thought about a chonda? can get the old shape 216 copy with genuine honda motor for $999 plus postage 

https://www.dmcmower...lled-mower.html

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales