45 replies to this topic
harry
harry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Business Name:Harry and son

Need Help For First Push Mower

I have been in the business for nearly 30 years now and have push mowers self propelled and hustler z turns in the fleet , the one mower ive been impressed at a good price is the victa self propelled corvette with the DOV motor,A very reliable mower a bit slow but at my age of 61 love it...from memeory its was around 750 to buy and has a full shute a good in the wet and long grass,also i have the rover pro 50 self propelled and bit quick for me but ok as well

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

Chris76
Chris76

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIpswich, Brisbane

I have'nt been mowing lawns as a fulltime job for long and am going to upgrade my mower shortly, my current mower is a domestic Troy-Bilt with a Honda GCV160 I bought it long before I ever started this venture out (only started mowing out of necessity love it though!) and chose it mainly because of the 21" cut and the Honda motor a motor brand I'd never owned before. To date it's done a fantastic job for a cheapish domestic mower I do find the motor to be a bit tempermental though, the base is strong but the handle is garbage I had to modify it as the wingnut bolt setup they come standard with broke when I was using the mower for only domestic use.

The reason I've given that background is although my mower is only a $600ish mower I've in a round about kind of way used it as a trial I guess to see what a Honda motor is like before spending $1000+, admittedly I do believe the motor is a bit tempermental but if I maintain it regularly I have no problems with it, the little bugger is super powerful to! 

At the moment I'm still on the fence as to which one I'll buy although I must admit I'm swaying strongly towards the Honda HRX217HYU the only thing putting me off is the blade brake function. I also like the specs of the Victa 19" Corvette Alloy SP the only thing I don't like about the Victa is the 19" cut I love the thought of using a Briggs & Stratton though had Briggs for years and found them to be brilliant.

Not sure if I've helped at all........

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:39 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

You might like the Blade brake if you do happen to hit something Chris 76.  :)

Horses for courses of course but 19" isnt as big a demon as some folks make it out to be. A 19" with a 30" sp or 34/36 rider will cover everything.

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

GreenT
GreenT

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I started using the Masport 800AL SPV last year and can't fault it. It was the only mower I had for a while and it took on some real ferrel's no problem. I'm near the coast so I wanted an alloy deck. With the big engine she's a bit on the heavy side for rear yards up stairs. I'll will be looking for smaller push mower soon to over come this and have a backup.
Buying from your local mower guy might cost a little extra $ but he will save you in the long run when needed.
Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I have'nt been mowing lawns as a fulltime job for long and am going to upgrade my mower shortly, my current mower is a domestic Troy-Bilt with a Honda GCV160 I bought it long before I ever started this venture out (only started mowing out of necessity love it though!) and chose it mainly because of the 21" cut and the Honda motor a motor brand I'd never owned before. To date it's done a fantastic job for a cheapish domestic mower I do find the motor to be a bit tempermental though, the base is strong but the handle is garbage I had to modify it as the wingnut bolt setup they come standard with broke when I was using the mower for only domestic use.

The reason I've given that background is although my mower is only a $600ish mower I've in a round about kind of way used it as a trial I guess to see what a Honda motor is like before spending $1000+, admittedly I do believe the motor is a bit tempermental but if I maintain it regularly I have no problems with it, the little bugger is super powerful to! 

At the moment I'm still on the fence as to which one I'll buy although I must admit I'm swaying strongly towards the Honda HRX217HYU the only thing putting me off is the blade brake function. I also like the specs of the Victa 19" Corvette Alloy SP the only thing I don't like about the Victa is the 19" cut I love the thought of using a Briggs & Stratton though had Briggs for years and found them to be brilliant.

Not sure if I've helped at all........

I have HRX217 and very happy so far.

I like blade brakes. Easy to empty bags and clean shoots

People do mod the blade brake to a separate lever on the bar. You could also bend the clutch lever under the blade brake lever and then just zip tie the yellow button. You could also zip tie the yellow  bottom and then cut the blade brake lever on the far left side (just after the yellow button) so its like the old victa  with the left hand side lever...so there is a few options. I havnt bothered with any of those yet but may go down the separate lever on the bar route....

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

lawnorder
lawnorder

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Business Name:Lawn Order

Im another Victa Fan. I just bought a new Victa Commercial 19' and absolutely love it! Does a pristine job! It has the Vanguard engine and I cant get the thing to stall no matter what abuse I throw at it! Failing that, I wouldnt be too keen on spending big money at the early stages, just grab a Victa 2 stroke somewhere and get in an mow! Make money! Thats the main aim of the game at the early stages. People dont really care what type of mower you have, they only care that their grass is cut and looks tidy! Good luck with it, its a good honest game you are playing!

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales