29 replies to this topic
Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

Looks like stand-on mowers are becoming more popular in Australia - and I think I may be in the market for one - so I thought I'd start a thread and post what I can find. Obviously if you can add anything - experiences, thoughts, dealers, pricing - please do!

OFFICIALLY IMPORTED MODELS:

Gravely Pro Stance 36" - RRP: $11000, street: $8800

Scag V-Ride 36" - RRP: $13500, street: $TBC

Scag V-Ride 48" - RRP: $14600, street: $TBC

Toro GrandStand 36" - RRP: $10250, street: "low $7000's"

Toro Grandstand 40" - RRP: $TBC, street: $TBC

INTERNATIONAL / GREY MARKET MODELS:

Bad Boy Outlaw Stand-On

EverRide Scorpion

Exmark Vantage (Same as Toro GrandStand?)

Ferris Evolution

Ferris SRS Z2

Great Dane Surfer

Hustler SS

Jacobsen SZT

John Deere QuikTrak

Mean Green Stalker

Wright Stander

Still waiting on some call backs so I'll update / add as I can.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Stand-On Mowers 2016

There was a guy imported a Wright 50 odd " on another lawn site.

There is a Toro on EBay

http://www.ebay.com....jkAAOSw-jhUEShT

My Scag is on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.c...eere/1105336406

Why am i selling it? Well i have a 20''Rover, 21''Honda, 30'' Timemaster, 36'' Scag and a 48''Husky. The Scag (1.9 hours) gets by far the less use, i always tend to take the Husky, so Scag can go.
Oh did i forget to mention i have a Deutscher due to arrive, it did already but was badly damaged so dealer sent it back, the new new one is just about here.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

bardy
bardy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Business Name:bardy enterprises

Stand-On Mowers 2016

Wow a few mowers there

So got pics of the gear
Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

It's actually surprisingly tricky finding images of the 36" models. The bigger decks look much better, so the mfrs tend to use those images a lot more. But:

Officially imported models:

Attached File  gravely-prostance-36.jpg   22.87KB   0 downloads Attached File  scag-vride-36.jpg   16.7KB   0 downloads Attached File  toro-grandstand-36.jpg   24.74KB   0 downloads

Grey market models:

Attached File  wright-stander-36.jpg   20.48KB   1 downloads Attached File  badboy-outlawstandon-36.jpg   16.23KB   0 downloads Attached File  johndeere-quiktrak-36.jpg   19.2KB   0 downloads

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

The front of the deck is offset so turning is done toward the short side (thats the theory anyway )

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Stand-On Mowers 2016

In theory would a smaller deck mulch better?, I'm thinking about one but it would need to be a 36 or 38 to get through most gates.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

In theory would a smaller deck mulch better?

What's your thinking behind that John?

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

In theory yes John with a set of ''gator'' blades or cross blades. I intend to fit a set of gators with standard blades on the Scag if i keep it, that should work really well in the wet for discharge.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

http://www.scag.com/...mmendation.html

Blades!! Hover the mouse over each blade

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,012 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

In the late 80's mulching was uncommon, most ride ons had the catcher at the back with the big tube, or just side discharged. As I worked in a dealership selling MTD they were at that time looking at a gator type blade and setting the mowers up for mulching. I lived on acreage with my parents so I did lots of testing. The machine that cut the smaller path eg 36' would do a much better job than a 48' deck. Just like my older 197 that rarely gets used does a better finish than the 216. I hate seeing clumps left behind and so do my clients, I might hit a local dealer up for the loan of a demo model and try it out for a day when it gets busy again.

Cheers

John

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

Good luck with the demo model :)

I think 2 blades are ok in small machines but 3 for say 48'' upwards and baffles help too. My new 30'' doesnt have a front baffle so i ordered one for mulching and remove it for long sd work.

Redgums Husky ZTR pick has no baffles at all, with the right blades must discharge well.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

It's actually surprisingly tricky finding images of the 36" models. The bigger decks look much better, so the mfrs tend to use those images a lot more. But:

Officially imported models:

attachicon.gifgravely-prostance-36.jpg attachicon.gifscag-vride-36.jpg attachicon.giftoro-grandstand-36.jpg

Grey market models:

attachicon.gifwright-stander-36.jpg attachicon.gifbadboy-outlawstandon-36.jpg attachicon.gifjohndeere-quiktrak-36.jpg

Notice only one of those has a decent air cleaner  ;)

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:48 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

If you are serious about buying a mower I would be talking to drew about that scag, and how you could get it freighted to you. You wont pick up a better second hand machine than that one , it looks brand new. I wouldn't mind it myself.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,012 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

It does look good freight to Brisbane would be about $400, I'm just tossing up if I need one "yet".

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

If you are serious about buying a mower I would be talking to drew about that scag, and how you could get it freighted to you. You wont pick up a better second hand machine than that one , it looks brand new. I wouldn't mind it myself.

It is certainly a good deal on a top machine but I'm a long way from Darwin unfortunately. I've dealt with Northline before (probably arranged a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of freight over several years) and their only response to missing or damaged items was to shrug their shoulders. Can't afford that.

I'll make some more enquiries though, it is a lovely machine.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

In the late 80's mulching was uncommon, most ride ons had the catcher at the back with the big tube, or just side discharged. As I worked in a dealership selling MTD they were at that time looking at a gator type blade and setting the mowers up for mulching. I lived on acreage with my parents so I did lots of testing. The machine that cut the smaller path eg 36' would do a much better job than a 48' deck. Just like my older 197 that rarely gets used does a better finish than the 216. I hate seeing clumps left behind and so do my clients, I might hit a local dealer up for the loan of a demo model and try it out for a day when it gets busy again.

Cheers

John

+Drew Webb ......can attest to the effectiveness of the "X" or "cross blading". Works well for me with tall grass. Dan at the Trimmers channel did this on his gravely and it seem to work very well with tall grass and he was pleased. Seems like the more "horses" you have running your mower the better off it is. The lower HP mowers seem to struggle a bit and drink lots of fuel. Indeed, any cross blade system will consume a bit more fuel but the rewards in regards to time saved and having the grass obliterated verses clumps on the lawn is a big pay off as we know that leaving clumps will cause unsightly spotting. Recently ran X blade setup on a 22in Husq and push mowed 2 yards one of which was moist. Result - no double cuts. Usually 1 tank does both lawns when dry. With X blades took about 1.75 tanks. Ran in the side discharge mode but removed the chute. Got much better dispersion with the open chute. I'll go back to a single blade on the 22 in Husq as I just wanted to see what this would do for a push mower and I think it's underpowered for 2. Have 2 friends here that have been in lawn care for years and also run X blades on their mowers. They claim they haven't scraped decks in years since doing this. I can say that it does work well on a Ferris FW35!

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Stand-On Mowers 2016

What is the advantage of a stand on, compared to a small ZTR ?

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

Maybe a better question is What is the advantage of a stand on, compared to a ZTR. :)

These guys made the first stand on and now make them both.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Stand-On Mowers 2016

Essentially speed and productivity - you can step off a stand-on really quickly to deal with something, then hop straight back on and keep going - you barely even stop the machine, let alone put it in neutral and move the control arms out of the way and climb out etc.

You have a smaller footprint and better visibility all round the machine. You can duck under overhanging branches. You can swing your weight or step off and push to deal with a slope or loss of traction.

Sitting on a ride-on is great for large areas where you are going to be mowing for hours at a time, but if you are on the move on smaller properties a stand-on just strikes me as a far more natural and nimble way to go about business.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Stand-On Mowers 2016

Cheers

John

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales