panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Business Name:Pan Horticulture

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Hi there,

I've recently started up business and had been doing more gardening and maintenance but lawns seem to be good money makers too.

I have a few lawns and am looking at buying a few commercial runs off someone who is getting out of the business. I have been using an old Rover self propelled but I really need to upgrade now.

The Toro commercial nearly sold me especially with 6months interest free @ $1600, I had a look at the Honda 21" today and that looks like a beauty but at $1750 , hmmmm.

Then you can get a commercial Rover for nearly half the price at around $900 - $1k.

What is your opinion with your experience? Is it worth to spend the extra now and buy a Honda?

Are these Toro's any good? The salesman rep tells me they are the beez neez!!

Mowing is only 30% of my work at the moment, I am finding there are so many expenses but come spring summer those fortnightly mow jobs are sweet.

Thanks for your advice

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I,ve got a Rover pro 20'' cut, good in the wet grass, but we didnt have much of a wet this year so it didnt get much of a workout.

Have a HRX217, apart from the 4 height adjusters it,s good, but does clog in the  thick wet if you push it too hard.

Just started using a Toro Timemaster also, so far so good, not many hours though.

On paper the Toro commercial looks good, only know of one bloke with one.

If money isnt an objection buy the best you can afford up front. The best isnt always the dearest though. 

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:29 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

The Rover is a good "wet" mower as Drew suggested, but it and the Toro will have much more down time if used regularly compared to the Honda.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Wonder why? Kawasaki engine, Blade Brake Clutch,1 blade,  3 speed transmission. I wouldnt mind talking to some one who has used  one long term.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Of course the dealer recommends the toro, that's what he sells.... I have had a commercial toro, and yes they do mulch well, but if you are like most contractors you will mulch some and collect some, and throw some out the back. The best mower for this is the Honda, that's why most contractors use them. Some guys like the 217 and some the 216. If you go with either you will be happy.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Wonder why? Kawasaki engine, Blade Brake Clutch,1 blade,  3 speed transmission. I wouldnt mind talking to some one who has used  one long term.

The Kwaka engine is more like an old briggs design than a modern Japanese (honda) engine. The Kwaka F180 I had on a proscape mower was sluggish, hard to start, and generally a pig of an engine.

Toro are generally either really good or utter crap, 

Honda have the best reliability engines, Briggs tend to have more real power. 

Rover cuts/catches the best in the wet.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

HRX217.  value for money...?... gotta be the best thing on the market IMO.

Only has one downside ive found, and im in TAS. Does not like wet thick lawn. Morning dew, light shower= no problems. Thick , wet lawn use a full shoot mower with the flap up.(my only other mower i carry-husqy push). 

Minor downside is its smallish fuel tank.

Upsides are huge. Mulches like a piranha, FAST. cheap for a push, plastic deck, inbuilt mulch lever, ability to mulch lawns with the bag on, longer blade life.....190cc...adjustable handle.....HUGE bag.......looks like star wars.......weight.........i think it may be 2wd not 1 wd........

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Business Name:Pan Horticulture

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I should note too, the Honda dealer said they come with a 4 year warranty!! That's huge for a commercial mower. 4 blades too for a high cut and low cut, that sounds like precision mowing to me.

The last thing I want is to be messing around with a mower that keeps having issues, I just want to mow and not worry.

Toro dealer told me to check air filter daily, Honda dealer told me just replace air filter once a year nothing about having to check it every day.

Toro has a 6 month interest free finance option too!

If I go Honda it will be on the credit card with a bit tax deductible interest....

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

liljohn
liljohn

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Business Name:M&K Lawns

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I should note too, the Honda dealer said they come with a 4 year warranty!! That's huge for a commercial mower. 4 blades too for a high cut and low cut, that sounds like precision mowing to me.
The last thing I want is to be messing around with a mower that keeps having issues, I just want to mow and not worry.
Toro dealer told me to check air filter daily, Honda dealer told me just replace air filter once a year nothing about having to check it every day.
Toro has a 6 month interest free finance option too!
If I go Honda it will be on the credit card with a bit tax deductible interest....

Just to correct what you got told about the blades on the Honda, there high and low lift not high and low cut. One pair mainly cuts and the other pair cuts and lifts the grass to throw it in the catcher. and if you appreciate your machine you'll check/clean the filter at least every service if not once a week if in dusty conditions.
Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

It only takes a couple of minutes to check and clean the air filter so in dry dusty conditions i would recommend everyday or 2 at the most

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Check you cleaner regularly. Sounds like the salesman is not very professional.

And what part of the machine (and which model) has a 4 year commercial warranty? Id be very surprised if the deck does.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

From the Honda website

''Of course, the HRU216M2 Buffalo Classic comes standard with an impressive 3-year Commercial Engine Warranty in addition to a 4-year Domestic Warranty, giving you complete peace of mind when purchasing your investment.''

The 217 DECK has a lifetime limited warranty (although i cant find it in writing)

If the Honda dealer suggests changing air filter once a year as a contractor i,d probably find another dealer. :-)

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

From Honda

In order to take advantage of the HONDA limited warranty, you must have maintenance performed according to the schedule (contained in the relevant owners manual supplied with this product), by an authorised HONDA dealer.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

change the air filter once a year no need to check it... classic...

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

This is from the Honda GXV160 manual:-

http://www.manualsli...160.html?page=4

Check air filter every day, clean every 25 hrs but as everyone else here has said - if it's dusty I'd be doing the foam element every day or every 2 at the most - doesn't take long - I also put a few drops of light oil on the foam element and work it though after I clean it.

Also a question for the forum - the paper inner element - how to clean? (I don't have a compressor so I brush it with a soft bristle brush - and I put a smear of grease on the plastic mating surfaces at reassembly) - and how often to replace? - (I just go visually and if it's discoloured I replace - probably twice per summer season)

Oil change interval 50 hours but I probably do mine at 1/2 that - oil is cheap and again it doesn't take long.

Lastly I've just put these on my gear:-

http://www.ebay.com....CAAAOSwxp9W19Og

Cheap insurance at 10 bucks and helps you stay regular :)

And yeah Panhorti, I wouldn't trust much that salesman said - and maybe go somewhere else for repairs.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

From Honda

In order to take advantage of the HONDA limited warranty, you must have maintenance performed according to the schedule (contained in the relevant owners manual supplied with this product), by an authorised HONDA dealer.

Ian, the local Honda shop I've bought a bit of gear from since starting up has said they'll "Square it with Honda" as far as honouring any warranty claims goes even though they know I do my own maintenance. They've come good on this so far with a problem I had with a UMK425 where they replaced the carby under wty but it's a pretty grey area I know.

I guess the practicality of enforcing Honda's stated warranty conditions comes in to play here - without hour meters as a standard fitment and the dealer keeping an independent record of hours at each service how can they really enforce it and keep goodwill with their customers?

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

This is from the Honda GXV160 manual:-

http://www.manualsli...160.html?page=4

Also a question for the forum - the paper inner element - how to clean? (I don't have a compressor so I brush it with a soft bristle brush - and I put a smear of grease on the plastic mating surfaces at reassembly) - and how often to replace? - (I just go visually and if it's discoloured I replace - probably twice per summer season)

Paper element: Tap the element several times on a hard surface to
remove excess dirt, or blow compressed air [not exceeding 30 psi
(207 kPa)] through the element from the wire screen side. Never try
to brush off dirt; brushing will force dirt into the fibers. Replace the
paper element if it is excessively dirty.
4. Foam element: Clean in warm, soapy water or nonflammable
solvent, rinse and dry thoroughly. Do not use gasoline as a cleaning
solvent, because that would create a risk of fire or explosion. Dip
the element in clean engine oil, then squeeze out all excess oil.
Excess oil will restrict air flow through the foam element and may
transfer to the paper element, soaking and clogging it

Before taken them out move choke lever to choke helps to stop dirt getting in :-)

I was sure it said somewhere dont use oil on the outer filter :blush:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

From the Honda website

''Of course, the HRU216M2 Buffalo Classic comes standard with an impressive 3-year Commercial Engine Warranty in addition to a 4-year Domestic Warranty, giving you complete peace of mind when purchasing your investment.''

The 217 DECK has a lifetime limited warranty (although i cant find it in writing)

If the Honda dealer suggests changing air filter once a year as a contractor i,d probably find another dealer. :-)

That makes more sense, the engines as we know go for donkey's years. The decks dont.

Ive never seen or heard about the lifetime deck warranty on the 217. 

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I was sure it said somewhere dont use oil on the outer filter :blush:

Yep, I reckon I've seen that somewhere too - I use sewing machine grade oil and just work it through with fingers and squeeze any excess onto paper towel - I'm sure it's fine as long as you're cleaning regularly.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

on the TPE and 196 i wash in petrol squeeze excess out then apply some engine oil and squeeze again  :D  on the 197's i have  snorkels fitted so run with Vita long filters in the top and no foam in the bottom hope to change the TPE's over to a snorkel and do away with the foam before this summer

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: toro, honda, rover

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales