84 replies to this topic
panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Business Name:Pan Horticulture

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

The Honda dealer is fine, he was just a bit more relaxed about it. Like the air filter is really good, check it but you'll probably only need to replace it once a year.

The model I was looking at is the HRU216M2 @ $1749 and he did say a 4 year warranty, which I thought is unreal!

Seems worthwhile paying an extra $150 and going for the Honda as there just doesn't seem to be enough feedback on The Toro commercial yet...

The Rover is significantly cheaper but we want minimum downtime or workshop time on our machines and everyone seems to rave about the Hondas.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

https://www.toro.com...90-9264_21.ashx

Honda powered Toro,s whatever will they think of next :-)

At least one dealer in Oz has a Honda powered Toro for sale

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

The model I was looking at is the HRU216M2 @ $1749 

or save $600 and buy the 217.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

A few places in Melbourne have the 216 on their websites at $1449 so might be worth checking around you area

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Also a question for the forum - the paper inner element - how to clean? (I don't have a compressor so I brush it with a soft bristle brush - and I put a smear of grease on the plastic mating surfaces at reassembly) - and how often to replace? - (I just go visually and if it's discoloured I replace - probably twice per summer season)

Oil change interval 50 hours but I probably do mine at 1/2 that - oil is cheap and again it doesn't take long.

Air filter - leave the outer filter dry, it's basically a rock/grass stopper. Oiling them only makes it harder to clean and risks ruining the inner paper filter.    The paper filter as already said - tap it out (tap it on the tyres of the mowers front wheels = doesn't damage the filter metal case) blow out with compressed air. 

If you're really keen, you can soak/agitate the filters in weak detergent solution for 10 minutes  and rinse them with running water to get out heavy clogging. Let them dry a couple of days and blow them with compressed air. This will recondition a fairly stuffed air filter, but be carefull not to tear the paper when wet. You'll get away with this once, but more than that on a filter and you're asking for trouble.

For changing the oil, the blades are a good indication because they wear depending on how hard the mower is working and how dusty the conditions are. 

Change the oil when you change the blades

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

cannon
cannon

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Business Name:Gardens Plus

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I had a company running 35 employees and we ran the Toro commercial mower .. they were reliable and far more productive than the Honda was .. especially in a mulching environment.

Now days I work alone and have a Honda 21 and a Kubota 21 along with the Toro 30 inch cutter for the bigger area jobs. The Toro is amazing .. very fast at getting the work done

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:54 AM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

A few places in Melbourne have the 216 on their websites at $1449 so might be worth checking around you area

Wonder what the freight would be...worth buying off the local dealer for kudos points or save a few hunge getting it shipped in

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I had a company running 35 employees and we ran the Toro commercial mower .. they were reliable and far more productive than the Honda was .. especially in a mulching environment.

Now days I work alone and have a Honda 21 and a Kubota 21 along with the Toro 30 inch cutter for the bigger area jobs. The Toro is amazing .. very fast at getting the work done

How long did you have the Toro commercials for and did you have any issues with the belts?

I will be purchasing soon but am swaying towrds the Honda because I have had found so much more feedback on it.

Why did you end up keeping a Honda and not the Toro then??

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

cannon
cannon

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Business Name:Gardens Plus

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

The Toro mowers were used over a period of 2 years.The mowers were used at huge retirement village sites where they were running nearly 6 hours a day.  You can get wear on the belts. The trick is to replace the pulley at the same time as the belt as sand will wear the pulley which will wear the replacement belt quicker.

When I dropped back to just working by myself I didn't have a Toro supplier nearby at the time. I now do .. so I bought a 30 inch Toro. I will most likely buy a Toro when my Honda wears out.

For most the Honda is most likely a safer option. All my mowing is mulching and the Toro does a better job than a Honda. Also I get bored using the same product as everyone else ...lol.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Wonder what the freight would be...worth buying off the local dealer for kudos points or save a few hunge getting it shipped in

I would probably buy from the local dealer but if you check other dealers in the area they may also have better prices which you could possibly use to negotiate a better price with your local dealer as $1750 is rrp and as such not a good price.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Chris Petersen
Chris Petersen

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMorayfield, QLD
  • Business Name:Garoyda Garden Grooming

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

How long did you have the Toro commercials for and did you have any issues with the belts?

I will be purchasing soon but am swaying towrds the Honda because I have had found so much more feedback on it.

Why did you end up keeping a Honda and not the Toro then??

Hi panhorti, I have been a commercial lawn mowing contractor for 15 years. My current Honda HRU216 has been going strong for 7 years now. Worn the tread off 2 sets of rear wheels. It just won't die. My only complaint is that the paint on the "tin top" has faded. These commercial Honda mowers are bullet proof if they are maintained properly and not abused. If you need any tips on maintenance and/or repairs, I'm happy to help. Happy mowing, Chris G.G.G.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:21 PM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Hi panhorti, I have been a commercial lawn mowing contractor for 15 years. My current Honda HRU216 has been going strong for 7 years now. Worn the tread off 2 sets of rear wheels. It just won't die. My only complaint is that the paint on the "tin top" has faded. These commercial Honda mowers are bullet proof if they are maintained properly and not abused. If you need any tips on maintenance and/or repairs, I'm happy to help. Happy mowing, Chris G.G.G.

Thanks Chris

Appreciate your feedback.

Think I will go out and purchase one this week. What are your tips on maintenance ?

Cheers

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:53 PM

mowjo
mowjo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast NSW
  • Business Name:Mowjo Lawn & Garden

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Wonder why? Kawasaki engine, Blade Brake Clutch,1 blade,  3 speed transmission. I wouldnt mind talking to some one who has used  one long term.

I have a Toro commercial and it is awesome. I have had the Honda's as well but the Toro leaves them in its wake.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Mixed feedback now, it's a close battle between the honda and the toro.

I will be purchasing a new mower in the new financial year.

I'm finding it really difficult to choose between the 2!!

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

The Toro is marginally cheaper (about $200 ) has a larger fuel tank ( good for longer jobs). Put the $200 aside  just for fuel. Parts in the short term shouldnt be an issue.

If i have to buy another 21'' next time it,ll be a Toro. On the other hand it could well be one of the cheaper ($700) Honda self propelled  :)

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

mowjo
mowjo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

The cheap Honda's I have seen are Honda mowers on cheaper decks.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

http://powerequipmen...estic/HRR216VYU

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

mowjo
mowjo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

Thanks Drew.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

I guess if your deciding between the two and mulch as much as you can it looks like Toro would be the pick. As long as the drive system is reliable it would be a good machine.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

mowjo
mowjo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Toro Vs Honda Vs Rover

there are two blade options for the Toro depending what you do most. Mulch or catch.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: toro, honda, rover

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales