zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Tips On Better Quoting

good point raised here,to firmly stipulate the quote you give is as of now-i.e I come and do this work for this price within the next few days,not three weeks later when its more over grown and they expect the quote from weeks ago.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Cuttin
Cuttin

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay Qld
  • Business Name:Cuttin it Close Lawn Mowing

Tips On Better Quoting

i must be something wrong i just bought the new honda 216 every time i try and mulch the grass i make a hell of a mess and end up remowing with the catcher and advise please

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:35 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Tips On Better Quoting

Dont try to mulch if the grass is really long or very wet. If it is really long start really high and work down, mulching works good on regular lawns, sometimes it is better ( timewise) to squirt it out the back/side and then mulch/collect or just leave it depending on the job.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Tips On Better Quoting

i must be something wrong i just bought the new honda 216 every time i try and mulch the grass i make a hell of a mess and end up remowing with the catcher and advise please

I'm a recent starter to mulching and my experience is that it works best on dry regularly cut lawns in winter, spring, autumn in S E QLD - in summer, if it's long, wet and particularly if it's thick, forget it - I've just cut one - mix of couch/carpet grass - 2 1/2 weeks old - probably round 100+mm long and we've had showers in the last 24hrs - started out with the 217 set to mulch - OK for about half a dozen rows then you can hear the engine start to labour before it starts to spit out clumps of green paste - and when you stop the engine a couple of kilos of goo which has been held up by the updraft drops down (usually onto the driveway, staining it green) - I used it on one patch then went and got my full chute pushie with the flap tied up to finish the job.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Tips On Better Quoting

I'm a recent starter to mulching and my experience is that it works best on dry regularly cut lawns in winter, spring, autumn in S E QLD - in summer, if it's long, wet and particularly if it's thick, forget it - I've just cut one - mix of couch/carpet grass - 2 1/2 weeks old - probably round 100+mm long and we've had showers in the last 24hrs - started out with the 217 set to mulch - OK for about half a dozen rows then you can hear the engine start to labour before it starts to spit out clumps of green paste - and when you stop the engine a couple of kilos of goo which has been held up by the updraft drops down (usually onto the driveway, staining it green) - I used it on one patch then went and got my full chute pushie with the flap tied up to finish the job.

Might it have been better to set 217 at bag (without bag) first up ? I must try it without top blade just for non mulching/catching

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Tips On Better Quoting

Might it have been better to set 217 at bag (without bag) first up ? I must try it without top blade just for non mulching/catching

Just wanted to see how it would do - the patch I started on was the shortest with the most carpet grass and I thought it might handle it

And taking out the mulch blade is something I've seen recommended on American forums for people who want to catch most effectively - seems sensible - chopping it up finely is OK when it's dry - it'll still blow into the catcher OK - but when it's wet you get the paste which sticks and doesn't throw as well - I'm going to try it too.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Tips On Better Quoting

It should be good with the new improved rinso er bag. Cutting blade higher though?

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

Tips On Better Quoting

Direction of debris throwout and major buildup in the under deck - is almost always to the right hand/starboard side of the deck.

If you are catching make your passes with the uncut grass on the right hand side (picks up spills on the next pass).

If mulching or throwing keep the uncut grass on the left hand side (so you are not running over the windrow).

EDIT: If no catcher, make the first pass or 2 so it throws the debris away from paths, fences, buildings, then run the rest of the passes so the waste ends where it makes your life easier.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

Tips On Better Quoting

Cut every lawn in ever decreasing laps towards the centre unless the customer demands 'cricket oval lines'.

Spiral clockwise with the catcher on, spiral anticlockwise if throwing.

EDIT: Open the corners and tight spots with the line trimmer before you mow so you are not tempted to use the mower as a whippy.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Tips On Better Quoting

This was a large block with damp knee to waist height grass. All mulched with a 216 with the flat blade mod I spoke about in the other thread. No clumping, just 3600rpm and taking a smaller cut. To bag it would of been every 3 strips.

Attached Files

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Tips On Better Quoting

It should be good with the new improved rinso er bag. Cutting blade higher though?

I'm putting the bag on today - with a new set of blades - blades about 3-4mm thick so not much height difference - was going to cut down a mulching blade to use as a spacer but think I'll just go with one blade as long as the bolts don't bottom out - see how that goes.

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Tips On Better Quoting

This was a large block with damp knee to waist height grass. All mulched with a 216 with the flat blade mod I spoke about in the other thread. No clumping, just 3600rpm and taking a smaller cut. To bag it would of been every 3 strips.

Did it need to be mulched though?

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Tips On Better Quoting

I'm putting the bag on today - with a new set of blades - blades about 3-4mm thick so not much height difference - was going to cut down a mulching blade to use as a spacer but think I'll just go with one blade as long as the bolts don't bottom out - see how that goes.

Let us know how it goes,thinking ( cause i cant be bothered going out and looking ) that lowering the blade might be a must,  you could run 2 cutting blades though, just for a trial.         .  Havnt received my bag as yet.

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Tips On Better Quoting

Let us know how it goes,thinking ( cause i cant be bothered going out and looking ) that lowering the blade might be a must,  you could run 2 cutting blades though, just for a trial.         .  Havnt received my bag as yet.

I'll put reply over on the 217 thread.

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

GommsGarden
GommsGarden

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Business Name:Gomm's Gardening & Home Maintenance

Tips On Better Quoting

Hi all, some great advice on here.Hoping to get to know a few of you and learn about your businesses.I started up my Gardening & Home Maintenance business Nov 15.
I agree with not quoting on the spot.Best to get an email address, go home and think about it.So many times I have been pressured on the spot by clients.Only to then go home and realise I have missed something or under quoted.
Also a tip I use when quoting.Look at the job, estimate the time and add 1 to 2 hrs of labour on as a buffer.
Also for particular jobs make up a checklist.
Say Hedging.
Height - ladder request
Thickness of branches - looper or pole pruner
Clean up time -
Rubbish removal
Cheers
Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

CTY Mowing
CTY Mowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Business Name:CTY Mowing, Grounds and Property Maintenance P/L

Tips On Better Quoting

You could always just set your hourly rate and stick to that. Time yourself on various jobs, apply your business costs and profit (one third labour, one third running costs and one third profit), and that way, long or short, you will get paid what is fair. Add on sprays, green waste removal etc outside of that. As you get better, your quotes will be more accurate.
Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales