lawnorder
lawnorder

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Business Name:Lawn Order

Another Topic On Pricing

Hey Grasshoppers,

Taken on some more properties and got asked for a quote. Its a 3/4 acre block, ride on of course, flat, minimal obstacles. Client wants a mow and trim. Is $70 for the job low/high? I reckon it would take a little over an hour, maybe 1.5 hours. What are your thoughts?

Also, a larger corner block with minimal obstacles and flat, she wants to pay me $45 for mow and trim. Am i in the right bracket?

Thanks alot

Terry

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Another Topic On Pricing

Without seeing it the corner block sounds a bit skinny Terry. I've got more of these than I'd like and the cheapest is $55 - I try for $60/HR minimum.

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 818 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Another Topic On Pricing

Yes you are a bit under Terry, most of my larger corner blocks are $60. But it depends on the area you work in and what they are prepared to pay. Dont let the customer set the price for you, be firm and you'll usually get the job. From past experience those that barter or complain about price never amount to a good long term client that sees you through the tough times.

Cheers

John

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

lawnorder
lawnorder

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Business Name:Lawn Order

Another Topic On Pricing

I see where you guys are coming from. I am just thinking that because I live in the country, everything is a bit cheaper here as opposed to city regions. I feel like I dont want to knock back any jobs which I know is not the right way to go about business, but when just starting out in the game I am thinking along the lines as a lot of people i suppose in that any business I get is a foot in the door. Gee this pricing thing is so hard! I hope I get a handle on it soon. I appreciate your input guys, especially that i have jumped into this and i dont know anyone in the area or other lawn care blokes around.

This place is priceless being able to seek advice on. What did the poor buggers do pre internet, probably talked verbally i suppose.

But thanks again. Time is key to get a handle on the prices i suppose.

Terry

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 818 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Another Topic On Pricing

I thought you may of been outside of the city, the prices will be a bit lower than what some of us get in town. My advice is stick it out, with time you'll get more confidence and be better with your quotes. Most folk once you get to know them will have no problem with a price rise further on, the good ones will even put it up for you.

Cheers

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Another Topic On Pricing

Hear Ya Terry - I've only been back mowing since October and am going through the same stuff - thinking it's better to have some business even though it's cheap - walking around behind a mower is easy - quoting is hard - but it gets better - go for it anyway (if you could nudge her to $50 so much the better)

Lucky here has valuable advice in talking to the client about what they actually want - maybe they don't need the "Gold" service every time - edge every second cut? - mulch rather than catch? - leave the clippings behind the shed? - anything you can agree on to get the job and get your time down.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Another Topic On Pricing

BTW - corner blocks are the bane of our existence IMHO - in my area most are happy to pay $45 for an average lawn that might take you 35-40 mins - but good luck trying to get more than $60 for a corner that takes you over an hour - different if I had a ZTR I guess? - never owned one so I can't say.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Another Topic On Pricing

I see where you guys are coming from. I am just thinking that because I live in the country, everything is a bit cheaper here as opposed to city regions. I feel like I dont want to knock back any jobs which I know is not the right way to go about business, but when just starting out in the game I am thinking along the lines as a lot of people i suppose in that any business I get is a foot in the door. Gee this pricing thing is so hard! I hope I get a handle on it soon. I appreciate your input guys, especially that i have jumped into this and i dont know anyone in the area or other lawn care blokes around.

This place is priceless being able to seek advice on. What did the poor buggers do pre internet, probably talked verbally i suppose.

But thanks again. Time is key to get a handle on the prices i suppose.

Terry

I live in a small town..try for at least $1 a minute working on a walk behind mower. If a ride on saves you time thats fantastic but your now using something that costs more to run. So ALWAYS work on a walk behinds price.

3/4 acre flat block with a SP mower should take you about an hr. I have a few and charge $70. 

I have a couple of large corner blocks that take me round 45 min and charge $50.

Tip: time every job you do, Its really interesting and an eye opener.

Easy way to get your time on job down? Did they ask you to catch? No? Then mulch. Never offer to catch- ever. I can go all month without catching a lawn.

Dd they ask you to weedspray? no? Then why are you doing it for free? Its all time and a waste of a $10 upsell.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Another Topic On Pricing

Dd they ask you to weedspray? no? Then why are you doing it for free? Its all time and a waste of a $10 upsell.

Ditto that - starting out I usually offered a quick Roundup spot spray as part of the quote as a sweetener to get the job - now it's just a pain in the butt extra 5 minutes on the job - no more.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Renegade Lawn Care
Renegade Lawn Care

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Business Name:Renegade Lawn Care

Another Topic On Pricing

Great information guys had a fellow lawn care/DIY mate of mine tell me im dreaming if i think people are going to pay my rates. Well some do and some dont. Im not worried because i work part time and have another job on the side. Also putting every dollar back into the business upgrading equipment. Ya win some ya lose some no skin off my nose. Got one customer who pays me $100 i quoted $60 job takes little over an hour.
Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:24 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Another Topic On Pricing

Yes you are a bit under Terry, most of my larger corner blocks are $60. But it depends on the area you work in and what they are prepared to pay. Dont let the customer set the price for you, be firm and you'll usually get the job. From past experience those that barter or complain about price never amount to a good long term client that sees you through the tough times.

Cheers

John

I have found this too,especially never let them set the price.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Another Topic On Pricing

Terry, price low until you fill your roster to 70% capacity and then price all new jobs higher.  undercutting the competition isn't low balling its investing in your business.   the best advertising is having customers, word and mouth and been see actively working in the community.

$40 a hour should pay basic expenses and pay a basic wage. but it wont give you money for annual leave and major machine upgrades

if your a a non GST business and aiming for a 75k a year turn over.  Take on everything until you get it up to 50k and then start pricing higher.  then when you get to 70k give all the low ones a price rise or cut them.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales