Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Rover 2 Stroke Suzuki Power Push Mowers.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic
zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Curious to hear if anyone has had much to do or use Rover push mowers with Suzuki 2 strokes,came across one the other day,seemed very robust and owner said it had heaps of power.Never really seen these before,the owner said not a huge amount were made and they were too good and taken off the market.apparently there was two models.Interested to find out more about them.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

the owner said not a huge amount were made and they were too good and taken off the market.

Gosh ''too good and taken off the market'' If you believe that i have a couple of bridges i can sell you cheap.

If they were too good every man and his dog would own one. :)

I think someone else mentioned it, To do this job long term and save your shoulders Get a Self Propelled. I know a bloke who was very fit (used to run etc ) but had to give mowing away due to his shoulders, he always used Pushies.  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Excellent motor!, when it first came out it would run on 50:1 with Castrol super outboard 2 stroke oil. It puts out just under 5hp and is very light and will outlast 3 chassis. The air filter is a big piece of foam and blocks easily, you just keep a few spare ones oiled. I'd grab it in an instance.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Had the Honda's top models-all useless-the self propelled one broke down,worked with other contractors,all had same experiences with these big heavy mowers-would never go back them,they were not good for my health and made no money.Gone back to smaller and much lighter 2 strokes,has me using less energy and make a lot more money than larger self propelled 4 strokes. Most of my garden business is using Hansa C13 chipper and trimming,the mowing is more a side menu item,the tiny two strokes are very light and can be in ute all the time,I have three cost me about $100 each-earned $1000's from them.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

As long as your happy with an old Victa and it works for you Chris that's the main thing mate. I get given lots of mowers to take away from new clients, and there's never anything wrong with them. There is a fellow that takes the good Victas off me for $100 and that is all he will use for his business The older Honda S/P are a tank when looked after, I have 5 of them, many cannot use or maintain a S/P or know the simple mods to improve it then when it fails they blame the machine. Though I do agree with your last purchase, no way would I use it either.

Cheers

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

There's a case for both types I reckon Chris - when I returned to mowing last Oct I had never used a self propelled - I had an old Honda 19" with GXV140 motor - perhaps a little underpowered but I only run 2 blades and it is LIGHT - on smaller or fiddly lawns you can't beat it - then I bought an HRU216 self propelled and it is HEAVY - I named it the Bismarck - you can't have them in drive all the time and when you've got to flick them around you feel it (I'm not 25 anymore) - but on a big block, catching the grass with that big 88ltr bag you can't beat it.

So I'm happy to have the best of both worlds - I'm buying a new HRX217 in the next month or so - self drive, big bag catcher and versamow - and I'm buying a new Briggs 850 IS motor (slightly lighter than my GXV140 but much more grunt) to go on the 19" push base - horses for courses.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

As long as your happy with an old Victa and it works for you Chris that's the main thing mate. I get given lots of mowers to take away from new clients, and there's never anything wrong with them. There is a fellow that takes the good Victas off me for $100 and that is all he will use for his business The older Honda S/P are a tank when looked after, I have 5 of them, many cannot use or maintain a S/P or know the simple mods to improve it then when it fails they blame the machine. Though I do agree with your last purchase, no way would I use it either.

Cheers

Thanks-yes will keep my eye out for an old Honda,I might get to meet up with 'Crocster' one day,after he purchases' his new mowers-I am keen to take a look and try them.

BTW I really enjoyed your post and photos of your trailer and set up for your honda mowers,best I have ever seen-Brilliant! I did wonder where you keep spare-but imagine you have that in your ute. cheers

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Yep she's a good setup, plenty have asked me to build one and yes the spare is in the ute. You'd be welcome to try one of my older tanks if you were in Brisbane Chris, you may change your mind lol. But again jokes aside trying to work that machine you had would of broken many of us. My neighbour got one when they first changed over, I tried it on my own lawn and there was no way I could use it full time. Keep an eye out for an older 197 with the 6.5hp donk, I only use 2 blades on mine and it goes like a train.

Cheers

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Attached File  13133094_10209620031122940_2279865064501410016_n.jpg   92.95KB   1 downloads

A real mower. I wish they did classic shapes with new tech. 

Love the hood ornament!!

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Excellent motor!, when it first came out it would run on 50:1 with Castrol super outboard 2 stroke oil. It puts out just under 5hp and is very light and will outlast 3 chassis. The air filter is a big piece of foam and blocks easily, you just keep a few spare ones oiled. I'd grab it in an instance.

Bought one today,the old chap that does them up is doing some fine tweeks as the governer needs adjusting its surging a bit-seems a common trait,but worth fiddling-the power and lightness of these mowers is great,might try and hunt a few down,most of my jobs just would not really suit refined self propelled mowers.But as time goes on I may get more yards suited to them,keen to check these Honda HRX217's out when other contractors on this page in Brisbane get them.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

hjl
hjl

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Business Name:Lee's Lawnmowing

I use a Rover push mower with the 2 stroke suzuki motor. Really like it.

I also use a big bob mower with a suzuki on it. I have just got my mechanic to put a suzuki motor on a 18 inch rover utility mower. Really like them all.

Just for info someone is selling chinese copys of the Suzuki on Ebay.

Cheers

hjl

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

those suzi donks were brilliant

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Yes,still got this Suzuki mower,only use it on my own lawn,its amazingly powerful.

Will look around for others but seem few and far between.Yes seen the China knock offs on ebay

I am sure they would not be in the same league as the older Jap made ones.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

+1 Those Suzuki motors were reliable and pretty powerful. They revved around 4,500rpm which meant they caught the grass really well too. 

Commonly died due to ignition module failure, which were hard to find replacements for. Otherwise fantastic.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

hjl
hjl

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Business Name:Lee's Lawnmowing

Good to see you here Arfa.

Cheers

hjl

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Good to see you here Arfa.

Cheers

hjl

Very nice of you - Thanks.

Not dead yet, but gettin' there.

Hope the weather is treating you gently.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Rocky
Rocky

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've just "cruised" thru the start of the mowing season here on the east coast with my Suzuki. Smooth running, heaps of grunt etc. It's an amazing machine! I was told about these mowers from a retired engineer in Griffith who restores old mowers. From his recommendation I searched for over a year to find a good one. Cost me $180 without a catcher but my good friend from Griffith sent a catcher up to me. It's such a great mower.

Attached Files

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales