Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Hrx217 Thread - Tips, Spares, Maintenance, Operation.

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic
crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Morning All,

There's few of us using these now so I thought it would be good to have a central resource thread for them to save searching through posts.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago but had minor surgery then and won't start using it till this week.

I plan on adding the spacer to step the blades down lower in the deck (cheers Arfa for all you've shared on these). I don't have the capability to make one safely so I like the idea of using the first set of wornout blades to cut them from (cheers Drew I think?)

This snorkel seems to be unavailable everywhere now:-

https://www.allmower...t-af07881a.html

Anyone know where you can still buy them?

Failing that, I found these air filters on eBay:-

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1436.l2649

They come with foam prefilters - I'll check my filter box dimensions out to see if they might fit - anyone else tried something else - I can see them needing replacement pretty frequently otherwise.

Arfa, it would be great to have your mods photos and guide in here if too you're OK with that.

As far as using the Versamow lever to get a blend of clip/mulch, I saw a post of Arfa's on Indmowing I think that said putting it in the middle will just clog the chute faster if the grass is anything but dry - disappointing if true but not surprising I guess with a half-chute design - going to experiment over the next weeks anyway.

Over to you guys

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Thanks Crocster

Should be good for air filter  according to that E Bay site.

Original part numbers:
Briggs:       491588S / 399959 & 271933 / 491435 / 493537
Honda:       17211-ZL8-000 / 17211-ZL8-003 / 17211-ZL8-013 / 17211-ZL8-023

Air filter suits the following engines*:
Briggs: Most 3.5 through 6.75 Gross HP Quantum® (12 CID) and 6 HP (13 CID) vertical engines
           3 thru 5 HP horizontal engines.
Honda: GC135, GC160, GC190, GCV135, GCV160, GCV190, GSV190

GCV190 thats us.

And the worn blade idea was Arfa not me  :)

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Great idea for a thread Croc, hope your on the mend mate.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Business Name:Groundworks Property Care

Croc

Ive been using one in Brisbane for the last 18 mths and can't imagine the need to lower the blade.
I rarely cut lower than 1.5 and I think we work similar areas (inner north brisbane).
Maybe if you are cutting tennis courts youd need to cut lower than factory setting 1.

Good luck with the recovery.

Trev
Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Thanks for the wishes John, Trev, My gall bladder wanted a divorce - surprisingly easy surgery and a quick recovery - 12 days and I'll be cutting tomorrow no worries - none of the bad after effects you see if you Dr Google it.

Trev, I'll be mowing with it for the first time tomorrow and see how it goes - first 2 I usually cut pretty low - 2 notches showing on a Honda Buffalo - see how it goes - do you use the versamow much to catch some and mulch some?

Cheers

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

I think what Arfa and others have said was the geometry of the deck, wheels, and cutter bar caused the deck to "catch" on undulations/dips on low settings and dropping the bar meant you could have more clearance for the deck for the same cut height. We'll see anyway.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Arfa, it would be great to have your mods photos and guide in here if too you're OK with that.

Sorry to hear you're crook matey.

I'm technologically retarded - barely get the stuff up on the forums, so if anyone can do all the magic transfer stuff of whatever you feel is appropriate for mods and stuff , ya got my permission (if it's even needed)

Just noticed my original  HRX is over 4 years old now - and still going strong. Never had a HRU go anywhere near that.

Most important mods in my opinion are (in order of preference)

-drop the blades (stops the mower hanging up on thick grass)

-rework the clutch lever and blade brake lever (and fit a gear/throttle lever guard)

-metal plate to cover the leading edge of the mulch ramp

-auto choke spacer (to hold the choke off ASAP)

-up the revs about +800rpm

Good work Croc.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I have been using one fore some months now. I dont see the need to lower the blades either. Lowest I go is 2 at rear and 1 and 1/2 front. (thats a pretty low cut IMO)

I either use for bag or full mulch (mainly mulch or open flap as i dont catch many lawns at all).

I havent had to replace my air filter as yet, I have blown it out once or twice with some air. 

I was going to mod the blade brake and yellow tab but got used to the system before i got around to it. Wont bother now.

Revs have been upped.

Only tip i have is when clogged get ur hand in there and get the grass on top of the blade other wise she will stall again 8 times outa 10. Good idea to restart with the blades engaged to.

O..other tip is be prepared to get sore legs the first week or so cause they are fast

Hope ur feelin well fast Croc.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Croc
I only go full catch or full mulch, the shute isn't that wide that half/half would be much good imo.
My tip is keep your catcher bag clean by blowing out after jobs and a good pressure ckean regularly. Makes the biggest difference to the finish, especially couch.
Im mulching more often than catching at the moment which is good but still need a new bag from when I first started.
Priced one locally for $60 bag only, had a look on boats.com but couldnt work out the exact part number.
Trev
Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin

1 81320-VH7-000 FABRIC, GRASS BAG $50.96

2 81330-VH7-000 FRAME, BAG $42.38

USA prices 

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin

O..other tip is be prepared to get sore legs the first week or so cause they are fast

Or learn how to use gearbox  :P

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Sorry to hear you're crook matey.

I'm technologically retarded - barely get the stuff up on the forums, so if anyone can do all the magic transfer stuff of whatever you feel is appropriate for mods and stuff , ya got my permission (if it's even needed)

Just noticed my original  HRX is over 4 years old now - and still going strong. Never had a HRU go anywhere near that.

Most important mods in my opinion are (in order of preference)

-drop the blades (stops the mower hanging up on thick grass)

-rework the clutch lever and blade brake lever (and fit a gear/throttle lever guard)

-metal plate to cover the leading edge of the mulch ramp

-auto choke spacer (to hold the choke off ASAP)

-up the revs about +800rpm

Good work Croc.

Cheers Arfa, I'll paste some of your tweaks soon.

I'm interested in that rev raise too - how is that done? (if you've posted elsewhere about this let me know and I'll find and put that on here as well)

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Croc
I only go full catch or full mulch, the shute isn't that wide that half/half would be much good imo.
My tip is keep your catcher bag clean by blowing out after jobs and a good pressure ckean regularly. Makes the biggest difference to the finish, especially couch.
Im mulching more often than catching at the moment which is good but still need a new bag from when I first started.
Priced one locally for $60 bag only, had a look on boats.com but couldnt work out the exact part number.
Trev

Cheers Trev, I'm going to be doing a fair bit of stealth mulching from now on I reckon.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

1 81320-VH7-000 FABRIC, GRASS BAG $50.96

2 81330-VH7-000 FRAME, BAG $42.38

USA prices

Thanks Drew
Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Or learn how to use gearbox  :P

go flat out and get to the pub sooner!

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Cheers Luck,

I have trouble keeping up with my 216 now! - might have to load up on V drinks :)

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:40 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin

go flat out and get to the pub sooner!

Try going flat out up here in the build up and wet  you,ll need an ambulance to get to the pub  :)

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Something to keep an eye on with them.

Inspect the axle on a regular bases. If some twine or fibers wrap around the axle they can get in and pop the seal. This causes an oil leak and a chewed up transmission. At $700 bucks its not a cheap fix.

This did happen to me and was replaced under warranty and it seems to be an extremely rare problem. But do keep an eye on it.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Thanks Luck - remember you posting this elsewhere - but not the price - outrageous on a $1200 mower - I will be checking.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

First impressions on mine:-

• Individual height adjusters no big deal - I'm mowing on "1" or "1 1/2" all round for the vast majority - and it's so light compared to the 216 that I don't even jack it up to put it up the ramps.
  • Typical half-chute issues - Southern Brisbane is bone dry but I clogged it a few times on an overgrown lawn - stalled a couple of times re-engaging blades too - smelt clutch material - ended up mulching the overgrown section - cutting somewhere else to let the mulch dry and then going over it on "Bag" for a good result.
  • Solid cutter bar is a concern - I hit a polypropylene rope dog's pull toy hidden in the above lawn and it stopped the mower dead with thump - I'll be keeping it for my good regulars at this stage - I've got an old Buffalo thumper for the cr@ppy stuff
  • Will be making a spacer with my first set of used blades - felt the deck front bog a few times - 7mm might make the difference.
  • Speed is ample - I was using about 3/4 most of the time but I expect to speed up a bit as I get back into it after surgery.

Haven't had a look at the air cleaner element - it was a dustbowl so will be interesting to see.

Still to use it on mulch - the ones I did today hadn't been done in 4-6 weeks and were pretty untidy if not long so I decided to bag to tidy them up - next cut will be mulched.

Overall no regrets - still learning how to use it - my sense is it will be a great mower for the bulk of my work with a utility mower for any bush bashing/first cuts etc.

To be continued

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales