Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Hrx217 Thread - Tips, Spares, Maintenance, Operation.

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic
john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

This is why you never increase the revs on a 217 to excess. Broken cam pulley destroyed the engine, not one of mine. This is the weakest part of the engine that a 216 doesn’t suffer from. I wouldn’t go above 3200 tops on the 190.

Attached Files

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

Can't stand those GSV motors.No sump & no head.I'm not sure what's worse those motors or a plastic mower chassis

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:01 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Try running over your 216  :)

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Plastic is fantastic.

I don't know why all mowers are not made out of the same stuff that the 217 is.

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNZ

To look for what or do you mean literally with my hilux.

I'm aware of the buffalo's short comings in certain areas where there needs thicker material & front axle wear.

The gxv motor doesn't have issues normally apart from maybe water or grit in the fuel bowl or that plastic jet .If anything needed doing at any time that was major it would be i guess a valve grind & seat cut.Splitting a motor in half to me seems daft just to get to them,if it was ever required on one of those gsv's.It's an unnecessary amount of extra work.They need to come up with a better way if they want ohc.It's like the old saying keep it simple

As for polymer chassis.That's just weird & would require a lot of practice at plastic welding if a hole developed from a stone or whatever that gets picked up due to some toe rag leaving stuff behind

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Randomly getting a strange air release noise from my 217, transmission issue?   Anyone had to replace the transmission on a 217, I see them on boats for $77 but looks like a mission to install.

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

When I thought mine was acting up I bookmarked this guy's pretty thorough coverage of the procedure:-

I think $77 sounds a bit cheap? - when I thought mine was faulting I looked them up on boats and recall it was around $180US?

Mine's done 3 seasons now and I think it's time to move it on - I'd buy another one with what I know about them now and the mods to do on them - just for the mulch quality alone.

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

As for polymer chassis.That's just weird & would require a lot of practice at plastic welding if a hole developed from a stone or whatever that gets picked up due to some toe rag leaving stuff behind

They give a lifetime warranty on the deck in America.

Arfa has backed over one with his truck to no ill effect and has hit deer antlers. By all accounts the deck is stronger than their alloy counterparts. I think mines 3  years old now and apart from where I dropped it on the edge of my steel tailgate the deck is in fantastic condition.

Engine seems to get allot of slack but mines been pretty reliable. I wonder if anyone fits the Briggs 850 to them?

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Part of the advertising on initial release was driving over it.

Exclusive to Honda's HRX mowers, NeXite was developed to resist dents, rust and corrosion. NeXite has similar strength and impact resistance to polymer materials commonly found in football helmets and car bumpers, where it's critical to have a strong, yet lightweight material.

NeXite is amazingly strong. In fact, while we don't recommend you try this at home, our engineers like to demonstrate these decks' durability by driving over them with a Honda Pilot.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Spent 20 mins today greasing the pinion gears, and another 3 hours stuffing around trying to fix the drive not working before I realized I had put the gears on backwards.  Fail

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Hi Plucka, did you lube the axle bushes behind the pinion gears when you had it apart? - if you take off the next circlip behind the gears and couple of washers and you can spray bit of drylube or similar a few times into the bushing - they definitely gum up over time - at least mine did and it was getting pretty hard to pull the mower backwards.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

For shits and giggles rang a local honda dealer and asked for a price on a new transmission, was told $1000 plus shipping (not including labour).  What an absolute joke, almost the price of a new mower.  Found the same part in the US for under $200US.    Thanks Honda Australia, go f yourself.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

For shits and giggles rang a local honda dealer and asked for a price on a new transmission, was told $1000 plus shipping (not including labour).  What an absolute joke, almost the price of a new mower.  Found the same part in the US for  $232US.    Thanks Honda Australia, go f yourself.

Is part number 25 here:-

http://www.boats.net... (2)/parts.html

what you need? - $182US

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

For shits and giggles rang a local honda dealer and asked for a price on a new transmission, was told $1000 plus shipping (not including labour).  What an absolute joke, almost the price of a new mower.  Found the same part in the US for under $200US.    Thanks Honda Australia, go f yourself.

Honda Australia spare parts is a joke.

About time they stopped ripping off the Aussie public.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNZ

Some price gouging going on there.It's always pissed me off parts can come to more than a mower if bought individually

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Thats always been the case in spare parts.

When i worked in parts years ago we worked out that buying the parts individually was like buying at least 4 (or there abouts ) of the original. In that case a Toyota Landcruiser.

I think it was Walker Mowers who advocated changing the machine every 4 years minimum for that reason, (boosts sales for them of course) With the longer warranties nowadays why not?

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Is part number 25 here:-

http://www.boats.net... (2)/parts.html

what you need? - $182US

Thanks, Yeah I think that's it, I had trouble finding it on boats for some reason.  My only concern is I have the K5 model and boats only seems to have K4 and earlier, most likely the same transmission but would need to confirm.  Anyway I'm probably fussing over nothing, the drive is still working fine and going full speed, just making a few odd noises from time to time it didn't used to.

Had to order some new rear wheels from boats this week, one of mine the tyre is ripped and coming off.  Machine has 200 hours on it now.  Only US$20 for a pair, I'm sure that means over $100 from Honda Australia :)

Something good I found out to yesterday- Honda dealer here in Brisbane I found knocks $100 off the price of a new 217 if you're a contractor, good to know.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales