75 replies to this topic
FREDO
FREDO

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Business Name:JOHN'S GARDEN SERVICE

Honda Hru216

After holding off getting a new mower I finally made up my mind and went with another Honda.

Had my HUR215 for years and it would not die but now the gear box is not working and turning it from a two speed to a one speed and now a no speed push mower and with summer on its way I thought it was time to up date to make things a bit easier.

I was looking at the Kubota W821 but when I looked into the price of parts I was turned off.

The bag was $235 and no after market bags around like the Honda.

After setting it up to my liking by putting the revs up a bit putting extra cable ties on the cables and putting a pin in the blade brake lever to keep it engaged and just pulling the pin out when I want to disengage the blades ( I found it a pain having to push the plunger down and pushing the lever in every time I let go of the lever) maybe I needed more time to get use to it but this way I feel comfortable with it quicker and It;s still quick to disengage when I need to. 

Also was given 2 high lift blades but have not fitted them yet. I was told four high lift blades work better than the standard set up of two high lift and two flat blades.What are your thoughts on the blade set up. 

I used the Honda 216 for the first time today with catcher and Mulch plug and it was great.

Good cut good mulching ( customer thought I used the bag on the entire yard but mostly it was mulched.) 

I don't need to cut long wet grass and all the lawns I have done with the old HRU215 never gave me any problems clogging the chute so this new one should be OK.

Would of liked to give the Kubota a try but with the price of parts and dealers not holding stock of parts I stuck with what I know.

Thous using the HRU216 M2 have you found anything that could give problems or anything that I need to do to make this even a better mower than it already is.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

Honda Hru216

I have a HRU216 M2 I usually mow with the plug in, I've been caught out a couple of times… needed the catcher but it was back at the shed!

EDIT: ps. Can't fault it, and the handle hasn't broken yet!

EDIT: I still use Rover for wet grass. (weight and chute clearance)

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Honda Hru216

The only other thing , I find the cheap catcher bags breath better than the one with the plastic base. You will notice it when you cut wet grass . The one that comes with the mower will keep the dust down. And try getting used to the blade brake, once you do you will love it

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Honda Hru216

True Markp. Once ur use to the blade brake it becomes second nature and love it.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Honda Hru216

Wouldnt be without it now 

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

FREDO
FREDO

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Honda Hru216

True Markp. Once ur use to the blade brake it becomes second nature and love it.

I think It will be great the more i use it.

What blades are everyone running ?

Are ASP blades any good?

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Honda Hru216

Up the rev,s so its 3600rpm when the blades are ingaged.

get thinner catcher bags you can see through.

PS; if you havent got another catcher frame get one on them aswell,

run 4 high lift

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

FREDO
FREDO

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Honda Hru216

Up the rev,s so its 3600rpm when the blades are ingaged.

get thinner catcher bags you can see through.

PS; if you havent got another catcher frame get one on them aswell,

run 4 high lift

Hi Macka

I have a new see through bag that I got for the old 215 and the frame from that will fit but what reason do you suggest to get an other bag frame?

Yes I have the High lift blades ready to go on. 

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Honda Hru216

They break at the welds mate, another tip is to blow out the chaff that builds up around the driveshaft regularly.

Get a Rover or Victa air fiter for the snorkle hose at the top of the handlebars.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Honda Hru216

Hi Macka

I have a new see through bag that I got for the old 215 and the frame from that will fit but what reason do you suggest to get an other bag frame?

Yes I have the High lift blades ready to go on. 

I always take two catches with me, fill them both and use the mower to carry both back to the car,  never carry a bag to the car ever again.  With blade brake It mean you have a self propelled cart.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Honda Hru216

there are a few places the handle break after about 2000 lawns,

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Honda Hru216

Are ASP blades any good?

Sorry Fredo, I dont have the mower your talking about. But on swing back mowers i tend to run 4 hi lift. (wet, thick tassie grass down here)

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Honda Hru216

Are ASP blades any good?

I dont use one anymore but i have used ASP for years

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:00 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Honda Hru216

I have given Honda hru216 mowers the flick , they are useless in wet grass. Recently bought 3 w821 kubotas and they never clog the Shute in wet grass.also in relation to your worry about catcher price , the 216 Honda frame and bag fits straight on the Kubota so no need to buy the dear version. Better cut , better chassis , better price.
Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

TXL
TXL

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Honda Hru216

I have given Honda hru216 mowers the flick , they are useless in wet grass. Recently bought 3 w821 kubotas and they never clog the Shute in wet grass.also in relation to your worry about catcher price , the 216 Honda frame and bag fits straight on the Kubota so no need to buy the dear version. Better cut , better chassis , better price.

So those Kubotas had some under deck fan installed to help the lawn clippings go into catcher,good to hear it works.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Honda Hru216

anyone saying the HRU216m2 wont catch wet grass or the chute blocks  obviously haven't made the basic changes to the machine.

Up the revs to 3600rpm when the blades are engaged

Use 4 high lift blades.

Get the cheap thin full mesh catcher bags you can see through.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Honda Hru216

Too true Macka!

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Honda Hru216

We all use hi lift blades , the cheap catches last about a week before you blow holes in them . We mow 30 plus jobs a day and have been for 23 years , the Hondas won't catch wet grass full stop not like a kubota w5021 or w821 which use Hondas blade set up.
No more Honda mower for me.
Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Honda Hru216

We all use hi lift blades , the cheap catches last about a week before you blow holes in them . We mow 30 plus jobs a day and have been for 23 years , the Hondas won't catch wet grass full stop not like a kubota w5021 or w821 which use Hondas blade set up.

4 high lift blade do nothing if you don't up the revs to 3600, the mowers are also to slow with the standard rev setting.

Heavy duty bags don't let much air through and are useless, I have the original bags that came with the mowers that have never been used.   

I get about 300 lawn out of a $30 catcher bag that 10cents a lawn.   even if you getting only 150 lawns out of a $30 bag its only 20 cents a lawn. 

http://www.ebay.com....=item2a25b29d24

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Honda Hru216

They clog the shoot real easily. The 1/2 shoots are good on short damp grass but any length and there just isnt enough space for it to go into. The shoot becomes a bottleneck.

Even with flap up, revs up and sharp blades it clogs. I do mow allot of wet thick long grass though. I keep saying it but ill have to invest in a full shoot SP mower. 

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales