23 replies to this topic
Silverlane
Silverlane

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Business Name:Silverlane

Advertising Budget

Do you set aside a budget for promotion? If you do, what kind of marketing campaign do you do and how much does it bring customers to your business?

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:17 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Advertising Budget

I dont.

I did do Flyers printed at home now its just word of mouth.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:51 AM

formally just lawns
formally just lawns

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLismore Nsw
  • Business Name:Matthew's Lawn Care

Advertising Budget

I dont.

I did do Flyers printed at home now its just word of mouth.

should upload a example

my flyers are getting nothing,   then again i just noticed 2 seperate guys offering to do lawns for $20  on local facebook pages so maybe thats my problem

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

Cuttin
Cuttin

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay Qld
  • Business Name:Cuttin it Close Lawn Mowing

Advertising Budget

i dont use any thing sometimes i use the buy swap and sell sites on face book but thats hit and miss and usually you get the customer whos looking for a bargain lawn cut that dosent want too pay

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Advertising Budget

should upload a example

my flyers are getting nothing,   then again i just noticed 2 seperate guys offering to do lawns for $20  on local facebook pages so maybe thats my problem

Yea..FB and beer guys dont help.

How many fliers have you dropped for how many quotes?

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Advertising Budget

Kids are all back to school next week, should fix some probs  :)

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationWhere spring has sprung, weed city

Advertising Budget

Knock back every dog and kid toys lawn, and if all professionals did that the chop and run boys will be kept busy enough.

I wrote that one, they are dads pet hates (dogs, toys and cowboys). DJ

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

formally just lawns
formally just lawns

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLismore Nsw
  • Business Name:Matthew's Lawn Care

Advertising Budget

How many fliers have you dropped for how many quotes?

2000 flyers,  got around 5 qoutes,  got 3 of the jobs

mind you 2 of those jobs were so overgrown that the beer boys wouldnt have the equipment or know how to do them

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Advertising Budget

2000 flyers,  got around 5 qoutes,  got 3 of the jobs

mind you 2 of those jobs were so overgrown that the beer boys wouldnt have the equipment or know how to do them

Thats about the same strike rate as i got. But I probably had a slightly higher quote to conversion rate (I have a sales back ground). People do keep them and u will get calls years later (i kid u not. Made $600 last Monday for 3 hrs work hedging due a customer who kept a flier from years ago)

When i dropped them i dropped 300 once a week for a few months. Its cheap targeted advertising. Only drop them the days the letter box catalog guys dont.

Yes u get the big jobs..the people who dont need you already have a lawnmower or a lawn contractor. Its up to you to turn those jobs into a regular.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Advertising Budget

I dropped about 8000 flyers in my first year, estimate I got about 30 regulars from them, and probably another 20 or so one off jobs.  Free Gumtree and Yellow Pages online, about another 5-10 each, maybe 10 from my website, a few from word a mouth and a few from my trailer signage.  Probably a handful from google search/google my business.  I think 1 from facebook.  I tried hi pages for 6 months and got about 7 or 8 one off jobs through that.

After 1 year I''ve got enough work that I can handle so apart from the website ($150 PA) and free web listings I don't actively market/advertise anymore.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

Gipps
Gipps

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern Melbourne

Advertising Budget

I am near the end of a 3 month online marketing campaign with True Local, Not Worth the Money.

It included on line Ads on well none Web Pages with links to my web & facebook pages.

The daily campaign performance is reported on a Web Page, it shows phone calls as a result

of the advertising which is totally WRONG.  I have already advised them it will not be renewed.

I will be keeping to drops of flyers, with a basic Google My Business & Facebook Business Pages

in future. Referrals from existing customers work well.

Page Boosts on Facebook didn't work for me either. 

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Advertising Budget

I have ordered my first 1,000 flyers from Vista, can't wait to drop them off. Here's my design.
At the moment, I am getting leads from SEO and AdWords.

A6-FLYER.png

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Advertising Budget

Are you guys all happy with operating alone? To Plucka, are you not looking to expand and happy to operate alone? What about turning it into a $500,000 business hehe? 

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Advertising Budget

I dropped about 8000 flyers in my first year, estimate I got about 30 regulars from them, and probably another 20 or so one off jobs.  Free Gumtree and Yellow Pages online, about another 5-10 each, maybe 10 from my website, a few from word a mouth and a few from my trailer signage.  Probably a handful from google search/google my business.  I think 1 from facebook.  I tried hi pages for 6 months and got about 7 or 8 one off jobs through that.

After 1 year I''ve got enough work that I can handle so apart from the website ($150 PA) and free web listings I don't actively market/advertise anymore.

Are you not looking to expand and happy to operate alone? What about turning it into a $500,000 business hehe? 

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Advertising Budget

Are you guys all happy with operating alone? To Plucka, are you not looking to expand and happy to operate alone? What about turning it into a $500,000 business hehe?

In this game the bigger you go the more headaches and hastles you have.

I find being a family owned and operated business we can maintain a high level of customer service and quality of work with my offsider and myself.

Customers apperciate this but when you have a lot of staff and you personally cant be at each job the quality and personal touch that you put into your work gets lost so to speak.

I completed my apprenticeship with a very large landscaping company and i seen all the problems they had with staff and jobs its not worth it in my opinion.
Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Advertising Budget

I have ordered my first 1,000 flyers from Vista, can't wait to drop them off. Here's my design.
At the moment, I am getting leads from SEO and AdWords.

A6-FLYER.png

If your going to do that type of work as in the pic get a bull handled whippy at least, much quicker. A side discharge mower would be quicker again, something like a Victa MulchMaster and dont advertise discounts  :)

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Advertising Budget

If your going to do that type of work as in the pic get a bull handled whippy at least, much quicker. A side discharge mower would be quicker again, something like a Victa MulchMaster and dont advertise discounts  :)

Thanks Drew, I got a Masport that we go over after. Can I go over with the Victa without first using a whipper? I am not advertising for that type of work, I just like that image as it has the sign too.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Advertising Budget

In this game the bigger you go the more headaches and hastles you have.

I find being a family owned and operated business we can maintain a high level of customer service and quality of work with my offsider and myself.

Customers apperciate this but when you have a lot of staff and you personally cant be at each job the quality and personal touch that you put into your work gets lost so to speak.

I completed my apprenticeship with a very large landscaping company and i seen all the problems they had with staff and jobs its not worth it in my opinion.

Argh OK, that totally made sense. Thanks for that info.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Advertising Budget

Thanks Drew, I got a Masport that we go over after. Can I go over with the Victa without first using a whipper? I am not advertising for that type of work, I just like that image as it has the sign too.

Most side discharge machines ( ride on or walk behind ) will eat that stuff. Advertise or not you,ll get it, goes with the job  :D

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Advertising Budget

Yeah :D - I want a ride on for sure, waiting to make back the investment first then upgrade that. 

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales