john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Wombat, I agree with what you say regarding the newer model. It does have the advantage of being able to drive over gravel ect without the blades engaged. Also emptying the catcher without everything blowing in your face is great. But it’s much heavier machine and nowhere near as manoeuvreable as the older model. I have four of them!.

Blair, the driveshaft is easy, remove the rubber boot and there is a c clip with a pin that wears over time. It normally fails when the pin shears and flogs out, replacement bags in the thin material are best online from DMC mowers. I generally buy blades from the local dealer in pairs of 10. These vary in the hardness of the steel and can be very good or poor in terms of how they last. I don’t replace bolts and nuts every time, though it’s technically a legal requirement now.
Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:34 AM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Thanks John. 

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Love the HRU216M2  with the blade break, i have 3 x older HRU216D's  but the M2 is the best at every lawn.

they are not heavy to operate once you learn to use them as they are designed, you never push or pull them, effortless pivot turns and use the gears to go forward.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

I upped The revs on my 196  ..Thing is on song now !   *sweet*

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Locationpacking up and retiring to Tassie

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Love the HRU216M2  with the blade break, i have 3 x older HRU216D's  but the M2 is the best at every lawn.

they are not heavy to operate once you learn to use them as they are designed, you never push or pull them, effortless pivot turns and use the gears to go forward.

+1

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Does anyone have a better source for HRU216D drive wheels than this:-

https://www.ebay.com...ZEAAOSwmaBaeRyU

The ones on mine now are a cheap shiny plastic tyre section - there's tread still on them but they slip a lot in the wet - the Greenacres ones seem to have rubber tyres but if anyone has a supplier of good quality ones I'd appreciate hearing.

Cheers

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Mate I have found those white wheels are crap they go out of shape after a while. So I buy them from DMC they have the grey ones listed I find they last better . This goes for the m2 also unless you buy genuine.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

I agree with Mark, EBay ones fall apart. I just use genuine wheels, never had any major problems.
Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Cheers Guys, I checked out the DMC ones - I'll get a price on genuine from my local shop and decide from there.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

New scroll about to go in after hitting a brass sprinkler left in long grass grr.

Attached Files

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

I asked the dealer how much to fit as I’m between houses and packing. $80 lol, just remove the axel and gearbox and it’s a 10 minute replacement.

Attached Files

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

To safely increase the revs to 3600 locate the governor spring and relocate to the lower hole as per pic. Remove the security plastic housing covering the lower screw. Wind that counter clockwise to allow it to rev properly.

Attached Files

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Reverse Drew??, jokes aside they probably will lol. :P

https://www.toro.com...-recycler-mower

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

thats a accident waiting to happen, i never pull the mower backwards,

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:43 PM

Chris Petersen
Chris Petersen

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMorayfield, QLD
  • Business Name:Garoyda Garden Grooming

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Attached File  Lawn Mower RPM settings.jpg   113.4KB   0 downloads

To safely increase the revs to 3600 locate the governor spring and relocate to the lower hole as per pic. Remove the security plastic housing covering the lower screw. Wind that counter clockwise to allow it to rev properly.

https://www.facebook...?type=3

Most new lawn mowers Maximum RPM is set way too low to cut and catch long or wet grass (about 2850 on HRU216) which is why their shutes clog and catchers don't fill. RPM limiter should be reset to above 90 M/sec but not greater than 96 M/sec blade tip speed.

I have my HRU216 set to maximum RPM of about 3,450 coupled with 4 high-lift blades...The only time I get a blockage is from operator error (failing to empty full catcher)...After all these machines are designed to be "finishing mowers" and not walk behind grass catching "paddock slashers".

Anyone trying to catch excessively long grass without blockages should consider the following: 

1. Mow more frequently.

2. Mow clippings into windrows and collect using a hay-baler. (could then donate or sell bales to farmers).

3. Buy to right tool for the job. (a good trades person doesn't blame their tools).

Yours in property maintenance,

Chris Petersen.

For Garoyda Garden Grooming.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

What an informative post lol.
Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hru 216 Tips, Mods Ect

Here is a tip for anyone who is silly as me. When you go to change your blades, don't undo the middle bolt on the disc. If you do the whole disc falls down and a spring and some other bits and pieces. When you go to put it back together you won't be able to because the middle bolt from the disc isn't quite long enough to reach the thread. I had to take mine to the mower shop after I undid the middle bolt on the disc.

I asked the them how they managed to get it back together. What they do is chuck out the original bolt that comes from the centre of the disc and replace it with one that's slightly longer in length. Not sure if that all makes sense but you'll understand if you do take the centre bolt out of the disc by mistake and try to put it back together.

Anyone else done that?

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales