Well that was not fun at all. Spent 6 hours in hospital yesterday having my eyes flushed out (4 litres of water in the left eye, 5 in the right).
I was asked by a real estate agent to trim back and cut down by half a couple of trees/bushes. Got there and there were 2 Pencil Cactus plants well and truly thriving. Easy job though so I did the job, did my tip run at the end of the day and went home to clean up.
I had the milky-white sap from the cactus all over my hands so I had a shower and thoroughly (I thought) washed myself. Towards the end of the shower I ran my hands over my face and eyes. That's when the burning sensation started!
So beware when working with these nasty suckers. The sap is highly toxic, and can potentially cause blindness (not in my case thankfully). Now I'm off to the eye specialist team at the Royal Brisbane to have my eyes thoroughly checked out.
Pencil Cactus.jpg 192.75KB 4 downloads