10 replies to this topic
Jake95
Jake95

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Business Name:Jakes lawncare services

Belts

G'day everyone, have a john deere 0-turn 48" cutting deck with full catcher setup. Have just recently lost my belt supplier in Mackay. I go through alot of deck belts (a148's) as i look after over 86 permanent lawns. I have been getting the nexon brand and they were 34 bucks a pop. Have shopped around and the best price now i can get is 85ea... my frustration is then brought here to ask if anyone has come across a cheaper price at there local shop and if they can post in bulk. Thanks guys
Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Belts

Hi Jake, Is this the right one:-

https://www.allmower...8-vee-belt.html

You can also see them on the GaSpares website but you need a login to see pricing

http://www.gaspares....RENT=Y&PAGENO=2

You can just order them online.

Cheers

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Belts

I have learnt to buy genuine when it comes to belts, my 48'' Husky has done 400 hours on the same deck belt. Cant say the same for the belt that drives the deck though.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Belts

I learnt about 20 years ago that genuine belts are a rip off - belts for for cox I get for about $10, genuine about $100

I'd check out somewhere like this and buy a dozen  http://www.vbeltsupp...assic-belt.html just be sure the spec's are right

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Jake95
Jake95

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Belts

Thanks alot guys ended up buying a few of these a148's https://www.allmower...8-vee-belt.html
See how they go, cheers
Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Belts

use belt grip and your belts will last longer

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

Belts

I suggest that expensive flat corded moulded soft polymer notched belts are worth the money.

Do not use lubricants or anything sticky.

If you get your belts from an industrial engineering supplier they cost very little.

This is the Gates bible.

https://www.gates.co...sign_manual.pdf

Download the pdf and keep it handy (25MB).

A V drive belt is a generic part with a V angle in degrees, a top width, an outer diameter and an inner diameter.

There is no such thing as a genuine part (these are cheap rubbish designed to suit the supplier, not you).

Any belt with a central cord is rubbish (these usually have a fabric wrapping or no visible cording).

Cheap belts eat pulleys, bearings and tensioner assemblies. These all cost a lot more to replace than the price of a high quality belt.

Machines are built to a market price not a utopian ideal. The best service and pulley, bearing and gearbox life comes from fitting high quality belts from new and relegating the originals to the 'spares' box.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Belts

I suggest that expensive flat corded moulded soft polymer notched belts are worth the money.

Do not use lubricants or anything sticky.

If you get your belts from an industrial engineering supplier they cost very little.

This is the Gates bible.

https://www.gates.co...sign_manual.pdf

Download the pdf and keep it handy (25MB).

A V drive belt is a generic part with a V angle in degrees, a top width, an outer diameter and an inner diameter.

There is no such thing as a genuine part (these are cheap rubbish designed to suit the supplier, not you).

Any belt with a central cord is rubbish (these usually have a fabric wrapping or no visible cording).

Cheap belts eat pulleys, bearings and tensioner assemblies. These all cost a lot more to replace than the price of a high quality belt.

Machines are built to a market price not a utopian ideal. The best service and pulley, bearing and gearbox life comes from fitting high quality belts from new and relegating the originals to the 'spares' box.

Cheers Grae, Great information here. As with so much of life generally,  belts ain't belts, Sol.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Jake95
Jake95

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Belts

Thanks mate very familiar with my belts as im a heavy diesel fitter, i purchased a wraped belt from vanderfield heavy duty meant for heavy slipage but a high grip rate aswell. Lasted around 45 minutes on my dad's farm... yet a standard transmission type belt will last me 3 - 4 weeks. Thought expensive would be better for my application about a year ago tryed and failed so I'll just stick with what works, just needed to find anouther cheap supplier.

Ahh the satisfaction of a clean yard...
Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

Belts

Jake.

Something is wrong

spray coat fast dry paint in the V's of the pulleys, let the paint dry

Set the belt up and give it a quick run until the paint wears off.

Decide what to do after you check the paint wear results.

Check that the belt is not sitting too low in the V and bottoming on the lower roll in.

It sounds like it is worth spending the time getting it sorted

Slipage and grip smells a bit funny to me!

Belt goal is near to zero slip!

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

Jake95
Jake95

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Belts

All is good man as i said i have a very high work load and am very fussy about my running gear, replace all idlers and pulleys inc. Tensioner spring every 6 months to the date. I do get slip on wet mornings but fines up, splits on back edge of belt before the v which is a good sign of getting life out of my belt in my eyes. As i said i have over 80 lawns to maintain over a fortnight before i start again..
Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales