Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Acreage - Weed Infested, Client Won't Water, How To Manage?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Help me out here guys, I have a client with a holiday home on about 4 acres that I look after. They visit a handful of times per year but won't leave the electricity (and therefore the water) on between visits.

There's enough moisture around for the weeds to go nuts but grass struggles on most of the property except for a few damp spots where it gets pretty lush.

I don't even know whether to mow or spray any more. I've been doing a combination, mowing any tall grass then spraying weed'n'feed over everything else, but it just isn't working. Today I gave up after an hour (normally I'm there 2-3 hours) because my tyres were encrusted with khaki weed seeds.

What else can I do? Just roundup the whole place and hope that wetter weather lets the grass come back?!

i've tried telling them many times that they need to fix their irrigation and leave it on a timer for the grass to crowd out the weeds, but I get nothing back from them.

Don't really want to give them the flick as they pay just fine, but I'm running out of ideas and to be honest it is becoming depressing. I had to stop at the carwash today and try to wash the khaki seeds out of the tyres but they wouldn't budge, so I'll have to get a wire brush onto it.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 717 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

If it's getting depressing and the owner seems to not care there is only one option, move on and give them the boot. I know they pay fine but i would not keep going at that property. Think about the time YOU are wasting trying to improve their property for no thanks, and your equipment is now getting knocked around costing you more. Time to move on mate!.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Or just mow and go and dont worry about it, they obviously arnt.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Ditto - you say they're good payers - you've informed them of the issues with maintaining the "lawn" - they don't care so why should you - as long as it's not flogging your gear and you can factor in "X" minutes at the end to scrub the tyres clean and still make a good buck out of it.

But if you're not short of work and you just find the job frustrating and unsatisfying then let it go - that's why we're self employed  :) 

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

bakes
bakes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

I'm with Drew and Croc, they don't seem to worried about it and they pay well.

No stress Red.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Thanks guys, maybe I'm caring too much.

It makes me feel like crap to know that I'm spreading the weed seeds around their place, and then potentially spreading them to other clients if I'm not super careful.

But it's the kind of property I'm set up for - I have a 60" deck and a spray tank on the Kubota, and I love turning up to a big property with nobody home and just doing my thing in peace for 2 or 3 hours and sending them an invoice.

Maybe I'll just toughen up and treat it as a mow and go. Or divide it up and do the worst areas with the backpack sprayer.

Do you reckon I should persevere with weed n feed or just hit it all with roundup?

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

As for spraying, instead of glyphosate (Round Up):

Choose a selective herbicide that is recommended for use with the type of grass you wish to keep and encourage. Ask at your local agro/farm supplies.

Spray the weed patches and skip the mowing of that area until your preferred lawn grass gets a good start.

Follow the label instructions, at the most two applications gets the majority of weeds sorted then pick on remnants with the occasional spot spray.

Avoid weed n feed type products.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

I shop here http://www.eem.com.au

Get friendly with your local same type of business and use your state government Ag/DPI services.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I shop here http://www.eem.com.au

Get friendly with your local same type of business and use your state government Ag/DPI services.

One I've had good service and advice from too is Globe chemicals -

http://www.globegrow...lutions.com.au/

They have outlets in every state I think.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales