formally just lawns

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLismore Nsw
  • Business Name:Matthew's Lawn Care

Whats Really Pissing Me Off Today

crap like this pricing is FLOODING my area.

i slog my #### off,  and these a-holes come in with bunnings cheap equipment or equipment their fathers used to own  and underqoute making the rest of the legit guys wonodering why they bother

16998989_406866533001756_197129902703171

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Dale's Mowing
Dale's Mowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationRedcliffe, Queensland
  • Business Name:Dale's Mowing

Nice response. I've been so tempted to write something similar to all the cheapie guys around me, but don't want to come across as an arrogant #### (which I probably would do).

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

He'll burn out in 6 months working for peanuts like that, I get  them every few weeks wanting to buy my clients. They get lazy towards the end. As annoying as it is look after yourself and ignore them, the better man will survive..

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

formally just lawns
formally just lawns

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLismore Nsw
  • Business Name:Matthew's Lawn Care

normally i wont respond but this was the 3rd add for the 3rd beer boy id come across within a few minutes and after having 2 customers cancel tooday to the $25 tossers   id just had enough

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

I rang a house cleaner the other day that was charging $30/h (Sydney) including product and equipment and told her to put her prices up, she was busy enough but just didn't have a business head on her or the value of her work. She said her customers wouldn't pay more,

Facebook seems to be very efficient at connecting cheap customers with cheap work. Any request gets a stack of responses and even more messages. I guess you get a proportionate result for your marketing effort.
Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

martin89
martin89

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationtamworth
  • Business Name:Martins Gardening Service

I know no ones going to agree with me!

but how many of us though are happy to shop/pick up a bargain at Bunnings etc which is doing the same thing to smaller family owned hardware stores etc. these guys will either realise they need to up there price, go out of business or if they can survive charging that low then that's there business & no one elses. there providing a cheaper/less professional service for people that cant afford more expensive professional services or they just don't really care about getting there edges perfect etc. how many clients that they pick up would you really want anyway, there most likely not going to a grade clients. every gardening business isn't the same so therefore they shouldn't charge the same & should charge accordingly. its better to have different levels of gardening service so the public can choose what level/price is best for them & there garden. if you cant survive in your area providing your level of service then you need to look at your own business etc or maybe theres just no demand for your higher quality service in your area. I started off charging $30 an hour now I'm on around 100k a year. by all means suggest to them that they are very cheap & let them know what the usual going rate is for the area. but at the end of the day stop whingeing about other peoples business & how about focusing on your own business which you are in complete control. it sounds like woollies & coles complaining about aldi. there not going away so deal with it.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

TXL
TXL

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Don't be concerned about what the other guy is doing look at what you got and how is it running !

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I dont even bother reading them let alone replying to them. (nice reply by the way!!)

They turn up every summer. Gone again in winter with broken equipment and no cash reserves.

If your losing regular customers to the beer cowboys then you are not providing a "PERSONAL" service. Take 5 mins and converse with your clients.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

lawnboy
lawnboy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEast Sydney

he wont last at $25 per hour for mowing, whats that say 6 lawns a day at $25 a piece. plus all ongoing expenses.. he may as well get a job flipping burgers at mcdonalds and would make alot more money and its alot easier on the body not to mention

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

bellarinelawns
bellarinelawns

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Business Name:premier mowing and home service

The advert says $25 but does he actually mow a lawn at that price? There was a bloke in south eastern suburbs who advertised lawns from $6, never ever mowed a lawn at that price, it was a teaser, he got the calls and then did the spiel to get the mows at a higher price. Maybe some of these low ballers have the solution, advertise low prices and get the calls and not the problem, advertise high and get no phone cals. Noticed a high pages request recently from a landlord wanting a lower mowing quote. He has Jims mowing lawn, who originally did it for $20 and now $40, but doesn't do a good job. Lawn area is small.
Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

someone doing work for $25-$35 p/h  so he doesn't have to claim the dole, isn't that bad.   good on them.  they fill a spot in our industry.  most lawnies are flat out and have full schedules. 

I suppose if you advertise a low rate your going to get calls.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Don't even react to this sort of stuff , there will always be some joker willing to work his #### off for nothing in this industry . They last 2-3 years max before the work out that it doesn't pay. Several things to remember , he has no experience , he has no equipment and he can't afford to employ somebody . There is only so much he can do and it shouldn't hurt a good operator.

Don't even react to this sort of stuff , there will always be some joker willing to work his #### off for nothing in this industry . They last 2-3 years max before the work out that it doesn't pay. Several things to remember , he has no experience , he has no equipment and he can't afford to employ somebody . There is only so much he can do and it shouldn't hurt a good operator.
Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Well said Martin, agree entirely.

Focus on your business, customer service.

Don't sell yourself short.

Always do a perfect job.

Pay attention to what the client says (listen and be interested).

Be reliable (turn up when you say you will).

Have a sense of humour (your going to need it).

Stick to these guidelines and you should be charging $60 p/h minimum (because your worth it). And like me you'll still be mowing in 14 years time. (bugger, that's where I've been going wrong!)

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

mark4879
mark4879

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFar North Queensland

Focus on your own business and forget the competition. If I worried about it I would be out of business having given up. I started in 2005 and am still going.

My lowest charged mow is $25 for a 15 minute job. I was asked to quote a mow a few years ago and stated $40. The owner said they got it for $10. I asked why they wanted a re-quote and the answer was that the mower guy was crap. I told them it was because they paid crap money!! I walked out a minute later.

There are plenty of clients who are happy to pay for a quality job. I use the fact that I don't just mow, I have a horticultural qualification and garden.

I know lawn mow guys who charge $25 for a cut but don't blow or don't edge!!!! Some won't get off a ride on to do the cut, even though the lawn area is small.

I was recently asked to do a mow, so turned up and during the job was also asked to whipper the weed in the garden beds. That was not quoted on the phone and stated so. The next time it came to mow the guy next door did it for beer money. The client stated that they would get me to do it before the rental inspection in 3 weeks. I told them that it was not going to happen as I run a business and am not a charity for them. I told them to respect the property that they were renting as I don't perform miracles for them to pass their inspection!!

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

You can tell by their mannerism when they ask to a quote over the phone if they are one of those cheap clients. I had a rude woman that was intoxicated phone me on Sunday demanding I come and trim her hedges for "her" price ($40 lol), the best way to handle that situation is to palm them off, it's not worth the effort to even go to quote.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:44 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

^^ spot on John, not worth the effort...anyone mowing lawns at $25 is on the dole/pension and not declaring their extra income

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

AVC
AVC

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Business Name:Handy Van

I wont get out of the van for $25.
Maybe not even out of bed!
And if someone wanted me to mow for cheap and not edge, I'm not interested. I have a reputation to uphold.
Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I had a convo with a crew i know well at the tip a few days ago at about 1pm

"Luke, what do you charge for the avg lawn?"

Me- There is no avg lawn i try to earn $60 an hr.

"Wow..we charge $30 for two of us"

Me- Arnt you stupid.

"Luke do you have customers who tell you how much they will pay you?"

Me- Ummm no.....Anyways fellas nice chatting im going home for a beer.

"What a beer its like 1pm?

Me- I charge twice more than you i work 1/2 the hours..seeya.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

I had a convo with a crew i know well at the tip a few days ago at about 1pm

"Luke, what do you charge for the avg lawn?"

Me- There is no avg lawn i try to earn $60 an hr.

"Wow..we charge $30 for two of us"

Me- Arnt you stupid.

"Luke do you have customers who tell you how much they will pay you?"

Me- Ummm no.....Anyways fellas nice chatting im going home for a beer.

"What a beer its like 1pm?

Me- I charge twice more than you i work 1/2 the hours..seeya.

Plenty of fools going around doing under paid work and then wonder why the get nowhere or can't afford to buy new machinery.
Seen them come and go after about 3 years see them no more .
24 years and still going and have no debt and own all my gear and home and always had plenty of work .
I always say whilst they cutting that job for crap money I'm picking up a good paying job .
Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

I've been thinking about this a bit lately as we come into winter in QLD (Yeah right! 30+deg all next week) - maybe I watch the news too much but it seems like Australia could be blundering and drifting towards some pretty hard times - I'll never be a $25 beer boy but, if I have to drop my rate a bit to get plum lawns close to home I will - $45-50/hr in the hand on some jobs is better than zip or fragile customers who'll drop you in a flash - just my 2c

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales