Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Truck Set Up

Hi all,

thought i would share with you all my new set up. it may be of some help to you guys looking to upgrade your work vehicles or deciding what to buy when first starting out.

i decided to ditch the Ute and trailer some months back and have not looked back since.

The ute and trailer set up was good for me when starting out in the business especially having a side and rear tipping tray. But i soon out grew it and it started to become a pain. As i do structural landscaping as well as lawn maintenance i needed to be able to carry a few tons of material or a few m3 of green waste. 

so my only choice was a tray back truck that would tick all the boxes. i ended up getting an Isuzu truck with a 4.5 x 2 meter alloy tray. its been great i now have room for all the mowing gear and green waste. with the added bonus of not having to tow a trailer every where.

ive got plans to get sign writing on the tray sides and also getting a cage made up to lock the push mowers in. 

i hope this might be of some help to anyone making a move to the light truck set up.

if any one has any ideas or ways i can improve my set up feel free to let me know.

cheers,

smokey

Attached File  20161019_112355.jpg   86.47KB   11 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170211_093817 (1).jpg   64.83KB   7 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170213_113815.jpg   100.57KB   7 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170302_184829.jpg   75.63KB   6 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170302_184540.jpg   62.16KB   7 downloads

Attached Files

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Truck Set Up

Nice set up

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

Nice set up

Thanks lucky its taking shape

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Truck Set Up

looks good - how scary is it driving the toro up/down the ramps?

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

looks good - how scary is it driving the toro up/down the ramps?

thanks mate the ramps i got are custom made. There 3 meters long and 500mm wide each ramp so its not that steep to go up or down but it was a bit scary the first few times until i got used to it.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Truck Set Up

Nice one Smokey. Have you noticed a difference between the running costs of the ute and truck?

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

ROBBO
ROBBO

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Truck Set Up

Looks like a great practical setup, sunken tie down points in the tray could help save the side gates from possibly bowing with the ratchet straps.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

TXL
TXL

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Truck Set Up

I have some catching up to do

Attached File  bike-lawn-mower.jpg   86.46KB   3 downloads

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

hi guys 

thanks for all the positive feedback.

Blair the running costs of the truck are around the same as the hilux. rego and insurance are the same cost. It uses slightly more than the hilux but has a lot more power from the 5.2 litre diesel compared to the 3 litre hilux.

service costs are the main difference the hilux would cost me around $ 250 a service the truck costs around $600. but all in all thats the only difference.

thanks Robbo ive got plans to put eye hooks in the tray to strap the machine to so i can still drop the side gates and like you say i wont bend and buckle the aluminium. just havnt got around to doing that yet.

ha ha txl i love the bike not many overheads and running costs your profit margin would be huge  :)

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:06 AM

TXL
TXL

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Truck Set Up

@ smokey

That set up is really nice to see that some people can take this profession seriously 

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

@ smokey

That set up is really nice to see that some people can take this profession seriously 

thanks mate i put a lot of pride and passion into my work and setup like a lot of people do. Its sad that this industry is largely unregulated and because of this it attracts a lot of cowboys and fly by night operators.  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Truck Set Up

Good stuff Smokey.

Have had my Mazda T4000 dual cab tipper now for 20yrs, its been fantastic !

Used to pull a trailer with it but a mate of mine built a triple level toolbox which holds everything nicely, never looked back.

Still has a 4-5m3 green waste capacity which is more than enough for me, partic if its condensed properly.

Working the inner/middle burbs of Melb, the traffic is nuts & trailers are a pain.

One clutch & no other mechanical repairs, just consumables since Ive owned it.

Its a bit of a slug but, it was built to work & be reliable, & it is !

I think that trucks are a great way to go if you know your in for the long haul.

Looks pro & it may even help you win the odd job even with higher pricing because you look committed.

Do go the advertising, wish I had from the start, Ive been driving around the same area for a long time now & Im sure that over that period it would have been noticed & brought in business.

They really aren't that expensive to run, the rego perhaps a little high but Im surprised I don't see more gardening truck set ups?

Each to their own, I suppose.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

cheers Fred its good to hear feedback from others running tucks. i to am surprised that i don't see more trucks set up for mowing.

the old Mazda trucks are bullet proof and go for ever when i was an apprentice the boss had a few of them and your right their no rocket but will work all day.

ill definitely be getting signage done in the winter. Sick of people walking up to me asking for a business card or people leaving their number on the windscreen and needing to call them back.

cheers,

smokey

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

Truck Set Up

How do you go getting the Honda on and off the truck ? 

I use ramps on the back of my ute and it is now wearing thin 8 plus lawns a day sometimes. 

Dan

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

Hi Dan
If my apprentice is with me we just lift it off the truck together. Other wise I have aluminum loading ramps and just wheel it off. But it does become a bit of a pain setting and packing up the ramps
Cheers
Smokey
Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Truck Set Up

Hi Dan
If my apprentice is with me we just lift it off the truck together. Other wise I have aluminum loading ramps and just wheel it off. But it does become a bit of a pain setting and packing up the ramps
Cheers
Smokey

Gday Smokey. Looking at your pics, if you use just the hook under the tray, it,ll put the ratchet inside the tray (out of the way).  ;)

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

Gday Smokey. Looking at your pics, if you use just the hook under the tray, it,ll put the ratchet inside the tray (out of the way).  ;)

Thanks for the good idea I have now fitted tie down points in the tray so it makes life easy.

Also got this new addition for residential jobs.

Attached Files

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Truck Set Up

Ah i nearly bought one of those but the new red ones. Couldnt get a decent deal from the dealer so bought a steering wheel Toro 50''.

Had my alum sided light truck for about 8 years now never bent the sides in ( yet ). had all sorts on the back up the ramps. Ramps ( alum ) were made here in the NT for 1.5 tonne @ 3.2 mtrs (the length of the tray )

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Truck Set Up

How do you go getting the Honda on and off the truck ? 

I use ramps on the back of my ute and it is now wearing thin 8 plus lawns a day sometimes. 

Dan

I may be out of place here Dan but if its a push/SP mower then just one wider ramp will do. Mines just a  pre made sheet of marine ply from mitre 10 with some angle screw into the top. Has lasted around 4 years.

Its much faster than 2 ramps and can weight less. If in a ute/trailer u can even lift up the back wheels of the mower and slide her under, to easily put it away securely.

If its a ride on type..ignore..lol

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Locationsydney

Truck Set Up

That's true even just one ramp and push the mower up with only one front and back wheel. Any thing that saves a bit of time and energy is a bonus in this game ha ha
Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales