Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationRedcliffe, Queensland
  • Business Name:Dale's Mowing

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Hi all.

I've purchased a new hour meter for the Cox ride-on, to go with the new engine in it, however I've struck an issue with the wiring.

The negative wire is easy...earth it. But the positive....Where is it best to connect this so it only works when the mower is running. I've found a couple of points where it will run all the time, but that's not ideal.

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Gday Dale the ones i buy dont have wires as such, just a wire  :)  that is laid into the back of the meter then wrapped around the spark plug, so i cant help. Be careful if you need any warranty repairs though  ;)

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationSame Victorian weeds you have

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Hi all.

I've purchased a new hour meter for the Cox ride-on, to go with the new engine in it, however I've struck an issue with the wiring.

The negative wire is easy...earth it. But the positive....Where is it best to connect this so it only works when the mower is running. I've found a couple of points where it will run all the time, but that's not ideal.

Dad laughed and said it just counts sparks. It is a spark counter. It would fall in love the HT wire. Now you know why we step with care around him. Rylie says HT is the the spark plug cable. If we ask him he will say research won't hurt you

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

Dale's Mowing
Dale's Mowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Be careful if you need any warranty repairs though  ;)

Warranty repairs on an early model Cox and a rebuilt motor.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

Dale's Mowing
Dale's Mowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Dad laughed and said it just counts sparks. It is a spark counter. It would fall in love the HT wire. Now you know why we step with care around him

The ones with the single wires are glorified spark counters, as far as I'm aware, but the dial/odometer style ones with 2 wires have some form of quartz movement in them which uses a more constant power flow I believe.

When I connect it to connections that are always live, I can hear the counter ticking. The trick is I want to find a connection that is only live when the motor is running.

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Dale, I have only seen the cheap "wrap the wire around the HT plug lead" type on eBay - can you post a link to your type?

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Dale's Mowing
Dale's Mowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Fitting A New Hour Meter

Dale, I have only seen the cheap "wrap the wire around the HT plug lead" type on eBay - can you post a link to your type?

I hope this works...

http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

Bunya Nut
Bunya Nut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Fitting A New Hour Meter

IF YOUR METER IS THE WIRED IN TYPE:

If your start switch has 'Off', 'Run' & 'Start' positions, find the wire that lights up in the 'Run' position.

If you have a fuel shut-off solenoid on the carby, this should only be live when the engine is running.

I think it would even work off your seat switch (if you have one)

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationSame Victorian weeds you have

Fitting A New Hour Meter

OK, we have it sorted, there are a few types, hour counters on 4 strokes wrapped on the coil wire need a switch for how many cylinders the engine has. And at the end of all of it, counting hours from a spark counter can't count hours only sparks.

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales