Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

It's Hairy Caterpillar Season In Se Qld

I hit a conga line of these guys with the mower this morning:-

Attached File  20170412_090635.jpg   144.74KB   1 downloads

that line went right under the ute and onto the roadway on the other side - they were coming from a bit of bush across the road

didn't think anything of it as they'd never bothered me in the past - then about 5 minutes later the itching started - by the time I'd finished the lawn I was scratching my skin off and had to head home, shower, put all my clothes in to soak and gerni off the catcher and mower -

I googled remedies to stop the itching and was surprised to find none of the usual tips about vinegar etc - go to the docs for steroid creams or just wait it out - I did 3 more jobs and it didn't bother me when working but I'm sitting here scratching now

If you see them give them a wide berth I reckon.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Thanks for the warning mate I've been caught out before and nothing will stop it. At least your fly was done up :unsure:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Thanks for the warning mate I've been caught out before and nothing will stop it. At least your fly was done up :unsure:

Yes but I was mowing commando style John so I guess I'm a lucky camper :blush:

been thinking about why in happened this time as I scratch here this morning - I've never hit them with a mesh catcher bag before - all my mowing in previous times was with solid plastic ones - in the morning you see clouds of mist coming out of the bag when there's a bit of dew around - reckon that mist was an aerosol spray of caterpillar juice yesterday.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

its the hairs on their body that gets you

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

its the hairs on their body that gets you

Yes I saw that when I was looking it up - one of the immediate remedies if you've actually come into contact with them is to put adhesive tape or gaffer tape over the area and rip it off thus getting rid of any hairs left around on the skin - didn't think it would help me as I put mine through a blender and the hairs must have been just floating around in the clouds of dust/mist - got another dose this morning using a clippings bag I didn't hose out yesterday.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

anti-histamine tablets if its real bad 

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales