12 replies to this topic
Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

What's Your Best Brushcutter ?

I have had many different types of loop handle brushys , ranging from Honda umk431 & 435 , Stihl fs94 fs110 fs130, tanaka tbc340 and kubota 33cc Mitsubishi .
Without a doubt the tanaka leaves the others for dead with power to weight ratio like no other .
Unfortunately tanaka was bought out by hitachi in 2007 and jus this year ceased the tanaka brand in Australia and badge under hitachi , but some Einstein decided that the 340 machine will nolonger be sold in Aus .
Kubotas are great with the mitsi 2 stroke reliable powerful all Japanese ,but are very heavy compare to tanaka tbc340.
I recent bought a Murayama 30cc and had it back to the dealer 3 times as it was gutless and would pull torque for the revs it was running.
I ended up ringing the rep and told him fix , or give me new one or money back.
He came up with a bull story that there is two barrels , one for European market and one for Aus ,
They sent new cylinder and dealer fitted and it was a different machine , however I think they new the originals were incorrectly machined and did nothing about it unless someone whinge , so won't be going there again.
Anyway interested to hear others thoughts .
Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

I'm a Kawasaki and Shindaiwa man and have been for 20 years. Mum is near 80 and lives on 3 acres and just bought a Tanarka. Nice and light surprisingly powerful but it's no slashing machine. It's sad Kawasaki don't manufacture bruscutters anymore, they are so light and well balanced. My next ones will be Mitsubishi powered, a beautiful motor for a 2 stroke.
Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Honda for a long time for me - I've always used the 425 and recently bought a 435 - I love the extra grunt of the bigger one but I think it's a bit primitive in it's vibration damping (ie feels like none) - they are heavy too but I always use a shoulder strap and bullhorn handles so you don't feel it on the job

I bought a Shindaiwa T230x recently to see if I could shave a few minutes off residential jobs using a light loop handle type but I found the slight forward stoop it puts me in kills my lower back (the joys of aging :angry: ) - great powerful  little whipper tho.

I'm also keen to have a look at the Kubotas soon - if the 33cc has as much grunt as the Honda 435 with good anti-vibe I'll probably give one a try.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

Bunya Nut
Bunya Nut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hey John, I don't know if this page is up to date, but Bushranger apparently have a line of trimmers powered by Kawasaki.

http://poweruplawnca...awasaki-models/

I have a 43cc Kawa powered Shingu brushcutter and it's an awesome engine. It's almost due for replacement and I was looking at the 40+cc Shindaiwa, but I'll check if the Bushranger/Kawa are available first.

I have the 33ccMitsubishi on my Atom Edger and it's a nice engine, but gee it's a cold starter. It fires up easily, but have to leave it idle for a minute or 2 at half choke before I can rev it out.

Have the 25cc '5' series Husky for general use and it is surprising how much power it has. The brushcutter doesn't get loaded on nearly as much these days.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

TXL
TXL

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Currently running

2 Stihl Kombi's -1 never started as backup

2 Echo -1 never started as backup

1 Shindaiwa

1 Husqvarna

Interchange machines between different seasons for different work loads

What's best ? they all have there place for various jobs as all are reasonable quality machines

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

. It's sad Kawasaki don't manufacture bruscutters anymore, they are so light and well balanced. 

One of my jobs as a young teenager was to brush cutter the Crown land at the back of our place every 3 to 6 months.

I dont remember the code but it was a Heavy Kwaka beast with huge bull handles. It was a machine. I dont think it ever struggled or broke down.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

ROBBO
ROBBO

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I've got a bull handled Husky 225r purchased in 1994 still going strong but not as easy to start as my Husky 525's. I am a fan of the Husqvarna's anti-vibe qualities, same goes for their saws.

Came close to getting the Kwaka powered Bushranger, still might down the track. 

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

started out with kawa kbl27a machines, then used makita rbc2510 for many years (lousy anti vibe but brilliant subaru/robin engines) have a mak rbc3100 for slashing (excellent) and a tanaka 27cc and shindy 23 at present. Quite liking the shindy (t230) now with 2.4mm diamond edge, gave the trailblazer away; the tanaka with diamond edge 2.7 and for feral slashing, the big makita with diamond edge 3.3mm - also have a bull handle 50cc for death and destruction but its a rare job that the makita  can't handle (those robin engines are the best in the industry)......that said, the kawa 27 machines are still the best l've ever owned/used, l've still got 2 here with new rings, carbies, gaskets waiting for re-builds - one of these days

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Quite amazing how most like the old kwakas or other old machines , seems like they stopped making the best ones .
However I do agree with cgahs on his choice of cord ,diamond edge is by far the best I have used .
Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:48 AM

Bunya Nut
Bunya Nut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I think a lot of manufacturers struggled for a while to get their engines compliant with new EPA regulations in other parts of the world without sacrificing power & reliability.

Seems like some are getting it sorted now.

+2 for Diamond Edge

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Californian enviro reg's buggered a few good machines, esp the kawa

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Important things to look at in a brushcutter, an easy to service air filter, large fuel tank filler, a well balanced machine that feels right. Some such as Mitsubishi have a extra breather in the fuel line to eliminate vapour lock (hard starting when hot). And of course an easy to load head such as the speed feed ect. I find light weight and well balanced to be the most important when you swing it around all day, Honda did nothing for me it felt too heavy and just did not feel right. Don't forget whatever you use the gearbox needs greasing every 50 hours. Thanks for the link Bunya!.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

I started out with a 27 and 34cc Tanaka these machines copped some abuse and never failed. But accidentally reversed over them on a job and broke em to bits.

Replaced them with a shindy 27cc but find them quite heavy for day to day use so I purchased another 27cc Tanaka as it is heaps lighter. And easier on the arms +3 for the whippy cord
Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales