Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Being Told What You Will Get Paid And Rung Up On Easter Sunday.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic
zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Well its three strikes and your out as far as I am concerned,regardless of how poor work is at present.

Yesterday I had a customer ring me on Easter Sunday afternoon,I have done their lawn for over ten months,I was happy to do it for $50 on a regular basis,but they seemed to get it every now and then and offered to pay $60. So first few times all good,did a great job and they happy,the last time was a bit over grown and they wanted a bit more done down the back,I was mowing with ride on on another job nearby so did it then,they happy to pay $70 for that. That was over two months ago.

Now their lease is coming to an end and they ring up yesteday,so its over grown,needs ride on,and has to be emmaculate as real estate coming through this week- and we will pay you $80 when are you coming.

Now-I am wondering what other lawn mower people would think... rung up on Easter Sunday/being told what you will be paid/has to be an emmaculate job. Took all my being to not say XXXX XXX. My tone was such that they new that I not impressed. They then threw in that they had being paying me $60 when I had only asked $50,so its if they were trying to get some sort of come back on that? Really- the $hit we have to put up with seriously starting to look at these FIFO jobs in W.A

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

I know how you feel Chris I got phoned on Good Friday wanting it done by lunchtime lol. As a rule I never let someone name their price, once they do that they think they have control over you and will always be a problem. Mmm the FIFO jobs over there have many drawbacks too....

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I know how you feel Chris I got phoned on Good Friday wanting it done by lunchtime lol. As a rule I never let someone name their price, once they do that they think they have control over you and will always be a problem. Mmm the FIFO jobs over there have many drawbacks too....

Yes, I am not at all happy,being told what I will be paid- you are right-problem. While work is slack at present,I still feeling I will not do this, the yard has lots of dog poo at best of times,but now long hard to avoid.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Some people are so disrespectful to call on easter Sunday. I personally turn the phone off when I'm on holidays and have a voice message set up with the dates I return to work. That way it eliminates these clowns ha ha.

If it was me I would explain to them you have a business to run with expenses and over heads to cover. Tell them it will cost x amount to get the lawn up to a good standard. If they are not happy with the price give them the flick its not worth all the stress and headaches and wear and tear on the machines.

The grass always looks greener on the other side ha ha stick to it working for your self is so rewarding.

I Hope I wasn't out of line but that's how I deal with this type of customer.
Cheers,
A money
Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

Kathryn
Kathryn

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW
  • Business Name:Brett's Mowing & Handyman Service

Any Sunday is plain rude, but Easter Sunday is a joke. We had a call late on Thursday. She wanted her lawn done immediately(we quoted 2 weeks ago). She's still waiting. We have worked over Easter to try and catch up with other work. That's our choice. People just don't care.
Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I would never agree to a price sight unseen or on Google earth Zippy - even though you know the place - we've had a lot of rain recently - if it's a foot long and you've got to slash it first......

It's hard sometimes but I try not to take it personally nowadays - it's your business and you don't need any one client to survive

I did FIFO into PNG for a couple of years - if you're single it can be a great life - if you've got a family, not so much - I worked with many blokes who were on their second or third marriage here or had set up home somewhere in SE Asia with a local lady - mowing lawns in Autumn in OZ beats it hands down IMHO :)

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Good to read others replies.

I am just going to text this customer "I think it might be best if you get someone else to do your yard tidy up"

There is much else I would like to say to them, especially it was just plain rude to ring up on Easter Sunday for a start.

But its not worth the agro. 

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Some people are so disrespectful to call on easter Sunday. I personally turn the phone off when I'm on holidays and have a voice message set up with the dates I return to work. That way it eliminates these clowns ha ha.

If it was me I would explain to them you have a business to run with expenses and over heads to cover. Tell them it will cost x amount to get the lawn up to a good standard. If they are not happy with the price give them the flick its not worth all the stress and headaches and wear and tear on the machines.

The grass always looks greener on the other side ha ha stick to it working for your self is so rewarding.

I Hope I wasn't out of line but that's how I deal with this type of customer.
Cheers,
A money

agreed!

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Becoming more and more common on FB ''Wanted someone to mow and whipper snip will pay $50'' Without seeing the job they get plenty of replies.

On the other hand I have asked How long does it take YOU to do it and they might say oh an hour, OK thats $70 knowing full well when i get there it wont take me an hour

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Airtasker is a great one for that - someone posts a job online and then everyone bids to the bottom - sight unseen for the most part as far as I can tell.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts

I went and had a look at one of those f/b jobs out of curiosity. Not that I'm a big F/b user, they wanted it done for $30. It was 400m2 0f 3ft high mess. I laughed it off but sure enough the next day someone was desperate enough to do it.
Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I went and had a look at one of those f/b jobs out of curiosity. Not that I'm a big F/b user, they wanted it done for $30. It was 400m2 0f 3ft high mess. I laughed it off but sure enough the next day someone was desperate enough to do it.

yep,I'll drive past this place in question and just texted them,after I have seen it, one of the main bug bears,is there would be a trailer load of clippings to take to tip,have to leave ride on there and come back for it.But the biggest- is there is dog poo there,really trying to cut these out- the germs etc that can be picked up from breathing exploded turds is high and the mess and clean up time at home!

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

the germs etc that can be picked up from breathing exploded turds is high and the mess and clean up time at home!

The potential for contracting roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms from dog poo is real - I used to dose myself periodically the last time I did lawnmowing early 2000s - went down to the chemist last year to buy a pack only to find that all you can get over the counter is the kids threadworm stuff - they asked me if I was a traveller and said I could get a script from my GP if I needed it - I haven't chased it further but you've just reminded me.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

mark4879
mark4879

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFar North Queensland

I mentioned about a tenant on a previous thread who wanted a mow and then the weeds wacked in the garden beds for the same cost.

Well last we I got a text. "can i do some garden work"?

Me "what garden work, I am busy"

Tenant " lawn mow and wack weeds in garden bed"

Me "That will be $50".

Tenant " I can't afford that"

Tenant" I have got some one to do lawn and weed and remove palm fronds for $60.

The last I saw of the palm fronds they would have filled my ute. Then cost me $23 at transfer and in all time taken to mow, wack weeds, put palms on ute and drive to transfer station would have been 2 hrs. For a profit of $37, for 2 hrs work.

Me "Thanks, can you tell me when the other garden business will call by, I want to watch and have a laugh"!!!!

Some people will try it on, when I first started out I had your type of client contact and ask me to call by on Sunday to quote, I did and quoted appropriately and still did the work for a reasonable amount at least.

Some clients will try it on.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts

What about the late night texters, surely I'm not the only one that gets them. :angry:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

no you're not  ^^  or before 6am....grrr

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Q. Why are you answering your Work ph on the holidays? Mine got switched off on Thursday at about 1pm, will get turned back on on Wednesday morning. (Tuesday is a public holiday here)

Try ringing your bank branch, or solicitor.... 

Even on weekends my Ph gets turned off at about 3 or 4pm on Friday..turned on again on Monday morning.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

What about the late night texters, surely I'm not the only one that gets them. :angry:

i get em..i just dont see or hear them untill trading hours are open..lol

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Lucky,the phone rang and it was a private number,if it had have shown the customers name I'd have let it go.

Yes,made me think your post... a new phone and number strictly for business.Had enough this weekend,besides that had person ringing up wanting wild dog trapping done as well,felt like telling them what to do with their wild dog issue.But renumeration was reached for a good out come.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Best to walk away from the crappy under paid jobs , while someone else is wasting their time doing that one you get the chance to pickup a good regular .
Plenty of Utes with mowers on them but after a couple of years you don't see them anymore.
Was a bloke getting around here undercutting everyone and knocking on doors after contractors gone and try steal job 5-10 bucks cheaper . He got a few that way , none of mine . But in the end he didn't last 3 winters , total fool.
Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales