6 replies to this topic
john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Kawasaki Finally Died

My original Kawasaki that I've had for 10 years finally kicked the bucket yesterday. I knew it was about to but was curious to see how long it lasted. I'm guessing this machine had done 2000 plus hours. The ignition coil slowly died and it blew a pinion gear in the gearbox.

Pulled it down after work today, the bore was unmarked and like new, no scoring or wear in the rings either. Even the clutch shoes were only 40% worn, so need for some replacements. The autopsy was me being curious but I honestly expected much more wear than I found. I doubt anything we can buy now will be in this internal condition after the work it had done.
Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Kawasaki Finally Died

I see them still available here:-

http://www.cuttinged...u/kawasaki.html

not a lot of dealers around me tho. Is your old one the same model type as one of the new ones? - I say that because Honda don't seem to have changed their UMK series whippers in 15 years.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts

Kawasaki Finally Died

Hmm good find mate, not sure of the age of that link but I'll look into it. :)

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Kawasaki Finally Died

best whippy's l've ever owned

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts

Kawasaki Finally Died

I've replaced the old gear with a lightweight Bushranger just over 4kg, and the bigger Mitsubishi that has a hedge trimmer attachment. I changed the original heads over to the fully commercial Gripske heads I've used for 19 years.

Attached Files

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts

Kawasaki Finally Died

Glad I gave this Bushranger a go, it's the most well balanced and lightweight brushcutter I've ever used. There is no vibration at all, only thing I dont like is the air filter housing could be more robust. Apparently it's the same company that makes the powerplant for Shindaiwa so you know it's Jap quality.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Kawasaki Finally Died

I've replaced the old gear with a lightweight Bushranger just over 4kg, and the bigger Mitsubishi that has a hedge trimmer attachment. I changed the original heads over to the fully commercial Gripske heads I've used for 19 years.

Looks like the larger one has a gearbox housing that will accept an EdgeIt Pro too if you ever decide to try one.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales