22 replies to this topic
Greenbean
Greenbean

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

New Tow Vehicle

Hi All,

I'm considering a later model vehicle to tow the tandem trailer and ride on etc as my 80 Series Cruiser is starting to cost me $$.

The thing is all the newer wagons I'm looking at (Colorado, Rodeo, BT50 etc) have dual mass flywheels which get hammered when towing heavy loads and I'm regularly towing up to 1.5 tonne.

Has anyone used one of these "newer wagons" for an extended period without issue, ie clutch shuddering on talk off?

Cheers

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

New Tow Vehicle

you will need to put a switch in so you can have the front auto hubs turned off,  that way you can use low range for reversing etc, and only use high range for driving.

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

New Tow Vehicle

I've pulled around a tonne for 4 years now with my Navara without a problem. But mine is a single mass flywheel manual and I'll use low range often. My van was just under 2 tonne and we used that heaps. If I was to do it again I'd get an auto, 1.5 tonne is not a huge load but pulling it everyday auto would make life easier. Your looking at up to 2k for a replacement clutch in these later models.
Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

I know of some who have changed auto hubs to free wheeling. What the benefits are i dont know, all my 4wdriving was done with FWH.

2 troopies, cruiser ute, Old Hilux twin cab 4x4 ( slow as a wet wick but would go all day ), single cab Hilux 4wd. My old troopy had more in accessories than the vehicle was worth  :)

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

New Tow Vehicle

Buy the auto , I bought bt50 3.2ltr with 6 speed auto .we have two both go good and fuel economy is great with a tow on. I always had manuals until now , we have a 2008 transit table top with 6 speed manual and it's at 160k and have had no trouble with the dual mass clutch . However I didn't like the feel of the manual Bt50 I test drove , seemed very raw and course with a boot full of fuel in it. After reading heaps of reviews which said buy the auto for towing , I decided to listen to The experts and go that way.
Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

New Tow Vehicle

Dedicated work vehicle

HiLux MY15 WorkMate 2wd petrol cab chassis with auto trans

Vinyl seats, door trims, rubber floor mats (grubby friendly)

I had a hydraulic alloy caged tipper tray fitted (worth every dollar)

I tow a 8x5 tandem caged trailer in D (1>5)

just flick the stick to the right and it locks out the overdrive for inclines or heavier loads.

I love it, mostly because it has no carpet or fabric in it.

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

Greenbean
Greenbean

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

New Tow Vehicle

Cheers for the responses guys.

The Cruiser has been an awesome vehicle and I've had a few jobs that required low range 4WD so want to be sure I get something just as capable. 

Going for an auto certainly gets around the flywheel issue and isolating the front hubs seems like a common mod the more I research.

Just trying to get my head around a smaller (lighter) wagon to replace the Cruiser.  I've even contemplated going to the dark side with a Patrol ute  :o  :o

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

Cheers for the responses guys.

Just trying to get my head around a smaller (lighter) wagon to replace the Cruiser.  I've even contemplated going to the dark side with a Patrol ute  :o  :o

I,d take a ute over a wagon anyday (unless i had a family to cart around )  :)

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

New Tow Vehicle

Just to add another to look at.

My cousin lives at Airlee Beach (hilly place) and has one of the 4wd 5.7L petrol Jeeps. 

Says he doesnt notice the boat when towing. His boat is a big one for visiting the islands for lunch and fishing (he is a big fisho). Can easily sit on 130kmh heading further North when he goes to FNQ fishing and camping.

Recons its better than the cruiser he had.

He hasnt had any problems with his Jeep, i know others have but they are pretty well priced to.

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 819 posts

New Tow Vehicle

The problem with Common Rail diesels is whilst they make exceptional power for the cubic capacity if they are off boost they are gutless. The gearing makes it worse, this is why those that tow big loads have so much trouble with the clutch. You have to build up revs and slip the clutch to get going. The Cruiser will amble off with the slightest revs. Auto does all the hard work for you. I've tricked mine up with an 2.75inch exhaust, remaped the ecu and upgraded the turbo and a Dyno tune. I have 540nm of torque and 160kwts of power, from a little 2.5. ;)

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Locationsydney

New Tow Vehicle

Keep the 80 series cruiser they are bullet proof and will go forever. Or upgrade to the v8 ute they are a serious work horse and will tow your work trailer with out a problem
Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

Greenbean
Greenbean

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

New Tow Vehicle

The problem with Common Rail diesels is whilst they make exceptional power for the cubic capacity if they are off boost they are gutless. The gearing makes it worse, this is why those that tow big loads have so much trouble with the clutch. You have to build up revs and slip the clutch to get going. The Cruiser will amble off with the slightest revs. Auto does all the hard work for you. I've tricked mine up with an 2.75inch exhaust, remaped the ecu and upgraded the turbo and a Dyno tune. I have 540nm of torque and 160kwts of power, from a little 2.5. ;)

Cheers john22. The points you make are the reason I've always stuck with big petrol engines.

Keep the 80 series cruiser they are bullet proof and will go forever. Or upgrade to the v8 ute they are a serious work horse and will tow your work trailer with out a problem

You might be on to something Smokey. Lots of research over the past few days and looked at few utes too. Havent found anything thats made me want to give up the 80 yet. The V8 ute would be a weapon but out of my price range

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 819 posts

New Tow Vehicle

The 80 series is still in demand so that tells you something, many have done over a million kms and are still going. They do start to cost you money as they age but look at the cost of a new one and how it depreciates the moment you leave the dealer.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Dale's Mowing
Dale's Mowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationRedcliffe, Queensland
  • Business Name:Dale's Mowing

New Tow Vehicle

I use a 2006 Ford Courier Crew Cab, auto transmission and a 4.0 litre V6.

The 4WD system doesn't really work at the moment, but I have no issues pulling heavy loads daily in 2WD. It can be very thristy though (around 18-20 litres per 100 kms).

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

New Tow Vehicle

I use a 2006 Ford Courier Crew Cab, auto transmission and a 4.0 litre V6.

The 4WD system doesn't really work at the moment, but I have no issues pulling heavy loads daily in 2WD. It can be very thristy though (around 18-20 litres per 100 kms).

Ouch! - I'll stop complaining about the economy on my HiLux now.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Dale's Mowing
Dale's Mowing

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationRedcliffe, Queensland
  • Business Name:Dale's Mowing

New Tow Vehicle

Well the fuel economy has improved heaps as of today. ....

The ute is off the road until I can source a new engine. That's going to make working problematic to say the least!

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

Just wondering what model Hilux you have used-thanks.

Posted Today, 08:09 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

New Tow Vehicle

Just wondering what model Hilux you have used-thanks.

I've owned an 86 extracab with 3Y motor and currently have a 2003 RZN149R with the 2.7EFI - I've found the 2.7 to be very thirsty and everyone I've spoken to or read about verifies that's just the case with that engine - I'd guess around 13-14L/100Klm round town with aircon in summer - if I was looking again it would be for the model before with the 22R motor - has all the power I need to cart a mower and a fair bit more economical.

Posted Today, 08:43 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

New Tow Vehicle

I've owned an 86 extracab with 3Y motor and currently have a 2003 RZN149R with the 2.7EFI - I've found the 2.7 to be very thirsty and everyone I've spoken to or read about verifies that's just the case with that engine - I'd guess around 13-14L/100Klm round town with aircon in summer - if I was looking again it would be for the model before with the 22R motor - has all the power I need to cart a mower and a fair bit more economical.

Thanks Crocster.

I currently have a Toyota Hilux 92 model with 22R engine in auto-its dual cab,done 360,000 K's getting VERY tired,I find pulling trailer and chipper/mower to be a big job-especially onger trips

Posted Today, 08:50 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

New Tow Vehicle

That 2.7 EFI engine sounds about the same K/F ratio to the V6 4litre one I'm looking at.

Posted Today, 08:52 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales