crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

New Tow Vehicle

That 2.7 EFI engine sounds about the same K/F ratio to the V6 4litre one I'm looking at.

Yep, I don't think there's much diff between the 4 and V6s - might as well have the extra grunt.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

A great thread-thanks everyone who has posted thoughts-its been really helpful,I currently looking at purchasing a second hand ute for this work. 

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

New Tow Vehicle

Saw a Mitsubishi L300 van running a LS1 with a B and M shifter for sale..has a tow ball to.....

Was in street machine awhile back..only driven on Sundays..

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

New Tow Vehicle

Saw a Mitsubishi L300 van running a LS1 with a B and M shifter for sale..has a tow ball to.....

Was in street machine awhile back..only driven on Sundays..

Would definitely cut the travel time down - might need a few extra occy straps to hold the gear down tho

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

New Tow Vehicle

I have a 4wd 2009 hilux that i have been towing with but decided to get a van as i can get away with leaving the trailer at home at least 70% of the time with the van on the road. Was very limited in options as i need to tow 2.5tonne when i do tow. Any way here is a couple of pics of the newest member of the fleet.

Attached Files

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

I have a 4wd 2009 hill that i have been towing.

Why are you towing a hill?  :P

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

New Tow Vehicle

I have a 2013 Colorado Tray back Auto, but 2wd. Haven't had the need for 4wd and use to have a 2006 Patrol Wagon. The ute gets me 15l/100 around town, less on the open road (around 13) Plus on the quiet days i go without the trailer and save some coin. 

Much happier with an auto and towing, makes for super easy reversing, good control with hills as well. I haven't wished for the wagon back. 

Only disadvantage is car payments. Hurts a bit in the quiet times, but i never have to worry about if the car is going to break down. 

Dan

PS I have used it to Tow a VZ SS Commodore on a Car trailer, does it easy as. 

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

New Tow Vehicle

I have a 4wd 2009 hilux that i have been towing with but decided to get a van as i can get away with leaving the trailer at home at least 70% of the time with the van on the road. Was very limited in options as i need to tow 2.5tonne when i do tow. Any way here is a couple of pics of the newest member of the fleet.

How do you find the van for carrying green waste inside and fumes from fuel ? Would like to see how you have it set up inside.

Dan 

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

I have a 2013 Colorado Tray back Auto, but 2wd. Haven't had the need for 4wd and use to have a 2006 Patrol Wagon. The ute gets me 15l/100 around town, less on the open road (around 13) Plus on the quiet days i go without the trailer and save some coin. 

Much happier with an auto and towing, makes for super easy reversing, good control with hills as well. I haven't wished for the wagon back. 

Only disadvantage is car payments. Hurts a bit in the quiet times, but i never have to worry about if the car is going to break down. 

Dan

PS I have used it to Tow a VZ SS Commodore on a Car trailer, does it easy as. 

Thanks Dan.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

New Tow Vehicle

How do you find the van for carrying green waste inside and fumes from fuel ? Would like to see how you have it set up inside.

Dan 

I would guess, You would need the backs sealed separately from the cab like a refrigerator van and sealed containers for green waste.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

New Tow Vehicle

Vans rock!

Becoming more and more popular with us contractors.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

New Tow Vehicle

Vans rock!

And Roll  :)

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

New Tow Vehicle

And Roll  :)

Can usually hear me coming...Had Motley Crue on this week.

Did an hrs hand weeding today, which i do not do allot of thank god, Volume was on the loud side on the way home.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

New Tow Vehicle

Dan 

Just a normal steel mesh cargo barrier in the van,

Fumes and smells arnt a problem as i thought they might be. Fuel up at the start of a job and not after you finish. 

I use charf bags for grass clippings (not that i take much) and and there is plenty of room for branches etc from pruning, Empty green waste from van as soon as i get home.

For big clean ups and rubbish removals i take the trailer. 

Will get a couple of pics inside the van today, Its nothing flash but it is very practical.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

New Tow Vehicle

Just a normal steel mesh cargo barrier in the van,

Fumes and smells arnt a problem as i thought they might be. Fuel up at the start of a job and not after you finish. 

I use charf bags for grass clippings (not that i take much) and and there is plenty of room for branches etc from pruning, Empty green waste from van as soon as i get home.

For big clean ups and rubbish removals i take the trailer. 

Will get a couple of pics inside the van today, Its nothing flash but it is very practical.

Why not take the shredder with you & do it on the customers time ?

Started out with a van but it was the lunch room as well, dog droppings on the mower every now & again was an appetite killer ....lol.

I like the corner tool holders in the trailer.

Pics would be great, its always good to c how others do it, thanx 4 sharing.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales