28 replies to this topic
plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Clueless Customers

Just had a client drop me because I mowed around her numerous large dog shits.  Whether she was expecting me to pick them up or mow over them I'm not sure but fark me some people don't have a clue.   Was a PITA mow anyway as she had a massive trampoline which I had to drag around each mow, maybe I should have mowed around that as well to really #### her off.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Clueless Customers

Yep large dogs not cleaned up after are a deal breaker now - I've been pretty lucky this time around - most people tidy up before I come - there's only one that doesn't a sh!tty rental - but I charge them a premium and lift the mower up over them in the back yard - not a lawn I plan on keeping next spring tho.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Clueless Customers

I asked her what she expected me to do and she said I should have picked them up and so will be engaging someone else. I just laughed and wished her luck.
Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Clueless Customers

Well that's a client you don't need!. I leave a card saying to clean it up and contact me to arrange another time. People do get busy with life and can forget occasionally but past experience taught me that the problem will continue to occur. Asking you to pick it up is plain insulting mate. Good riddance to her!.
Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Clueless Customers

^^ this...good riddance indeed, l have a zero tolerance policy for dog ####

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

lawnboy
lawnboy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Sydney

Clueless Customers

haha the mentality of that customer is pretty common, i was recently doing a garden clean up and the customer says to me as im about to start working to watch out for the dog #### thats on her lawn, i just said 'yep' while looking at her thinking to myself the obvious 'well why dont you pick it up then?'..she then goes on to say "im just letting you know because i dont want you stepping in it and the spreading it all over my property"...

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Clueless Customers

Plucka, I do a walk around with the poopa scooper and pick up all the dog poo, customers are required to pick it up every couple of days minimum.  there is normally only a few for me to get.  I never mow it and i would never mow around it.  Only every had one not pick it up I charged a extra $50 they paid but didn't do regular enough so i cancelled there service. . 

If you tell your customers the rules there is no confusion.  always charge exrta for a dog

PS: I do pickup all the POO for one old customer as she cant walk on the grass with the walking frame.  The dog is her only visitor apart from tradies and meals on wheels.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Clueless Customers

Excuse the ignorance, but why

Is it ahealth issue, or just a not so nice part of our profession?

I usually run it over and keep on going, all jobs have they're bad side and to me dog poo is better than asbestos and a few other things out there. Or is it
Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Clueless Customers

Excuse the ignorance, but why

Is it ahealth issue, or just a not so nice part of our profession?

I usually run it over and keep on going, all jobs have they're bad side and to me dog poo is better than asbestos and a few other things out there. Or is it

So you're happy to spray the underside of your mower in ####?  Hitting the dried out ones is potentially even worse, it turns to dust which you then likely to breathe in, yeah health issues alright.  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Clueless Customers

Plucka, I do a walk around with the poopa scooper and pick up all the dog poo, customers are required to pick it up every couple of days minimum.  there is normally only a few for me to get.  I never mow it and i would never mow around it.  Only every had one not pick it up I charged a extra $50 they paid but didn't do regular enough so i cancelled there service. . 

If you tell your customers the rules there is no confusion.  always charge exrta for a dog

PS: I do pickup all the POO for one old customer as she cant walk on the grass with the walking frame.  The dog is her only visitor apart from tradies and meals on wheels.

This work is hard enough without having to pickup other peoples dog crap. No amount of money is worth it for me.  Each to their own though.

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Clueless Customers

Hi Plucka, times have changed - I first mowed in the early 80s and we really didn't give it a thought then - it was just taken as part of the job and you minimised the exposure however you could (we also smoked, never used sunscreen, drank and drove, swam outside the flags etc. etc) - now we follow our dogs around with a plastic bag when we take them for a walk -

Of the two eras I'll take the current one - it stinks - it may well have worm eggs in it - if you hit it with the whipper you're in a world of sheet - I have 2 lawns (one of which I mowed today with this thread on my mind) where they don't clean up before I come - my phone has gone silent since the growth slowed down in Brisbane so I need to keep them over winter but they're first on the drop list come spring.

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Clueless Customers

serious possible health risks - as l said before, after nearly 30 years you learn to work smarter....zero dog poo policy. I can't understand how anyone would think otherwise to be honest?

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Clueless Customers

Carry dog poo bags and pick it up when needed. Only have a couple of slack clients. When I reach my full quota of clients will probaly be a bit tougher. Like Macka's idea of pooper scooper but don't want to carry it around in the ute or trailer all day.

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:03 PM

mark4879
mark4879

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFar North Queensland

Clueless Customers

I went back to the UK for a year to spend time with an elderly parent and garden there.

I had a client who was good at first but on my last visit her dog had left #### in about 30 places. (this property had a very very small garden)

I went to the van and got out a small shovel and proceeded to pick them up and fling them into a garden bed. When i looked I had been a bad shot and they were mostly peppered on the side wall of the garage. I left them there when i had seen the cash payment left by the door!!!!!!!

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Clueless Customers

Really annoying dog crap all over the lawn , I would tell the customer that unless the droppings are picked up I won't be back .i think that's a better approach then mowing around them and letting them sack you.
Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Haggis
Haggis

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHobart
  • Business Name:Tasman Mowing

Clueless Customers

I dropped a customer because of this.  Lawn was always overgrown when I was called and I could not see them for the grass.  Never saw the dog but it must have been HUGE!  There was about 20 of them that I could see and left little islands of long grass around.  I called the owner and explained that I was not going to mow over them, and too many for me to pick up.

I have not been called back and I shall not be calling them.  This is the only customer so far that I have dropped.  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

martin89
martin89

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationtamworth
  • Business Name:Martins Gardening Service

Clueless Customers

instead of mowing around them why take on the job in the first place. tell the customer from the start to either pick them up or your not willing to take on the job. its your business & your in control so can be easily dealt with

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Clueless Customers

instead of mowing around them why take on the job in the first place. tell the customer from the start to either pick them up or your not willing to take on the job. its your business & your in control so can be easily dealt with

Agree 100% get rid of them before you mow , that way they can't bad mouth your workmanship .
Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Clueless Customers

Rather than start a new thread the title here relates to a client of mine. I left a note to say there was a few grubs around, they instantly sprayed the lawn with Roundup to kill the grubs. The 2 pics are 6 weeks apart, the "lawn" is now a sea of weeds. The house would be worth 1.1 million.

Attached Files

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Clueless Customers

luv'ly shade of green tho...lol

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales