crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

H&s Issues With 2 Stroke Gear?

Hello All,

I posted on here that I bought a Trade Tools 2 stroke hedger recently - the salesman put a bit of fuel in it and started it up before I paid. When I got it home I used it for a few minutes. I thought it was pretty fumey and maybe rich on the mixture screw - but I guessed it may be deliberate thing for a running in period - I topped it up with a mix at 35:1 as per the manual (Ryobi synthetic oil from Bunnings) and waited for a chance to use it on a job.

I used it yesterday morning on about 15 meters of chest high hedge - (BTW it did a beautiful job compared to my old Bosch 36V hedge chewer) - again I thought how fumey it was and, at chest height, I couldn't help breathing it - but I haven't used any 2 stroke gear in 30 years so my idea of fumey might be a bit sensitive?

Anyway, as I started down the hedge I started to sweat - at 7am on a 14deg crisp morning - I thought it was strange but it is pretty heavy and it's my first time - I soaked 2 shirts by the time I finished - then mowed the lawn and went on my way for a few more jobs.

I woke up this morning, turned over in bed and the room starts to spin and I feel like throwing up (no it wasn't a hangover) - and I've spent the rest of the day feeling pretty crook, weak and dizzy.

I thought it was some kind of bug I caught until something made me think about the hedging yesterday and the possibility that I'd breathed in a few too many fumes - I know we're not doctors here but I'm asking whether anyone here has had a similar experience. I've now googled the health effects and symptoms of 2 stroke emissions and it seems quite possible that I got a bit of a hit yesterday.

My plan is to drain the tank and fill it with 50:1 synthetic and check the mixture setting (another forum member here uses only Opti oil at 100:1 in all his gear and that interests me too). Then run it for a bit and check the level of fumes. If I can't get it a whole lot better it's on to Gumtree with it and I'll just buy the short hedger attachment for my Honda whipper.

I'm interested to hear any feedback on this as I'd guess most here use at least one piece of 2 stoke gear in their kit.

Cheers

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Hi Croc, been running opti 2 in all our 2 stroke machines now for 10yrs+, don't think you can beat it.

Sure the initial cost is high but, with the dilution rate it evens out.

I think its about as clean of a 2 stroke oil as u can get.

Better still if u can afford/justify it would be to go battery.

We use still hla65's & love them.

No fumes what so ever, almost no noise or vibes.

Run times are great.

Just depends wether its a cost effective option for u.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

I've never had a problem ever with being overcome with fumes and everything I have is lightweight 2 stroke. I wonder if you did cop a lungfull as the hedger was at the height where it would blow a rich mixture all over you??. I use a synthetic oil similar to racing motorbikes at 60:1 and have no smoke and little smell. How do you feel today mate?, perhaps the quack would be able to give you a better idea if you were overcome by fumes or had a 24 hour bug. I have been overcome by bleach fumes before and the side effects only lasted a few hours, dizzy poor balance ect, no issues the next day. :unsure:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Thanks Guys,

I feel fine this morning so I reckon it was probably the fumes - Fred I went and checked out the Stihl gear and I know battery is the way of the future - just can't justify the cost for my level of usage yet - every few weeks at most - I'll try a leaner mix of the synthetic oil I've got left and then look at the Opti 2 - mind telling me where you buy yours? - the best price I can find with a Google is:-

https://www.allmower...il-1-litre.html

Cheers

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

We buy 4 litre containers from Cannings in Mt waverley for $119.95.

Many ppl get confused about 2 stroke oil. 

Its not just about ratios, its very much about the consistencies.... oils aint oils Sol !

Cheers Fred.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

So your health isn't worth the cost of the battery powered one....

This thread should be a good lesson for any new guys, yeah you can buy cheap gear and yeah it will cut good, so whats the difference between a cheap hedger and a dearer unit, well for one a good brand will have the exhaust pointed away from the operator, I wonder why they do this............... glad your ok croc

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Thanks Mark,

The hedger does actually have a duct from the muffler down under the motor and out beside the gearbox - so it exits low and away from the operator along the line of the blades - one thing that impressed me when I checked it out having read other posts on here about fumes in the face.

The way I'm thinking at the moment is that is way too heavy on the oil mix on the first tankful and almost certainly rich as well, judging by the throttle response - I'll put another fuel mix in it on monday and tweak the mixture and report back.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

As i need ( and it suits ) i will replace my trimmer/s with battery gear ( no more oil, petrol, all paid in advance so to speak). They are now sold by lots of manufacturers and guys getting on to them for the first time seem to rave about them.

This may be a bit tongue in cheek as i am now 65 and dont know how long i,ll keep going BUT i am not ready for lawn bowls and croquet yet.  :)

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Remember BP Zoom back in the 70's and 80's?, I wonder how many people were asphyxiated by that?.
Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Keep going Drew, I bet your very much fitter and stronger than most of your mates. :)
Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Good on you Drew, I reckon the worst thing you can do is just stop, you need to keep active. And I hadn't thought of this before until you mentioned it, but running battery power I am sure would allow you and me and us to work longer as its so much easier on the body.

If croc had of bought a stihl or husky hedge trimmer, I know what this thread would be about, and I would put money on it. I absolutely love my battery gear and will be buying more as time goes on. Put it this way I wont ever buy another petrol powered hedge trimmer, yes it is that good..........

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

This may be a bit tongue in cheek as i am now 65 and dont know how long i,ll keep going BUT i am not ready for lawn bowls and croquet yet.  :)

I'm right up your tail (so to speak :wacko: ) - 63 this year - and no plans to hang up the boots any time soon - in fact I want to lose a bit of blubber and get a bit fitter over winter so I can do more next season - I used to cut 8/9 a day with a push mower and I've got a SP now so.....

And yes, if this hedger does turn out to be a piece of shite I'll dump it on Gumtree and get the Stihl - I guess another way of looking at it at my age is "Life's too short to put up with cr@p equipment"

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Remember BP Zoom back in the 70's and 80's?, I wonder how many people were asphyxiated by that?.

Or just sniffing it over a long period of time. Sniffers are absolute zombies  :(

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Keep going Drew, I bet your very much fitter and stronger than most of your mates. :)

Dont know about that, it,s all about what muscles you use for your job ie hanging the sheets up makes my arms ache but i can use my line trimmer ( honda 25cc ) for ages no probs.  :)

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Good on you Drew, I reckon the worst thing you can do is just stop, you need to keep active. And I hadn't thought of this before until you mentioned it, but running battery power I am sure would allow you and me and us to work longer as its so much easier on the body.

If croc had of bought a stihl or husky hedge trimmer, I know what this thread would be about, and I would put money on it. I absolutely love my battery gear and will be buying more as time goes on. Put it this way I wont ever buy another petrol powered hedge trimmer, yes it is that good..........

My battery gear at this stage runs to a 40v hedge trimmer and a 40v chainsaw and for what i do they are plenty good enough.
Been looking at battery line trimmers today ( on the net of course ) Ego looks ok but no dealers which leaves Victa or AEG in my price range/useage. Can i get a look at one though? No way  :huh:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationDarwin

I guess another way of looking at it at my age is "Life's too short to put up with cr@p equipment"

Aint that the truth  ;)

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

just a few words on a new engine.

Everything it is assembled from has some type of oil, silicone, wax or plastic coating to stop corrosion whilst the parts are still parts.

It is then assembled and test fired… if all went to plan they pack it in a box and ship it to us, the final user.

New engines take a fair amount of time to get rid of all those coatings.

I could suggest it was a combination of 'hedger arm muscle burn' and all those god knows what plastic/oil coatings being burnt off and exhausted. I consider 50:1 heavy duty.

So 35:1 mix and a chemical soup may well be the cause.

Any well used 2 stroke hardly bothers me, new ones do. 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Yep Grae, the jury is still out for me - I ran it again this arvo on the original tankful of fuel - big clouds of smoke on startup - let it warm up then held the throttle open for some spells - smoke levels definitely declined over time - will finish this tank tomorrow and then put 50:1 in.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

I always use Castrol activ 2T oil it's red in colour the only time I have smoke is if I leave a machine idling fir 5 mins or more whilst I use another , and then it only smokes for about twenty seconds until the cylinder burns hot .
Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Derwent
Derwent

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Business Name:Milligan Gardens

Hedger is probably one of the best returns on investment in going battery....the battery that lasts 25 mins in the AEG trimmer or 40 mins in the mower goes a couple of hours in the hedger...and hedgers are noisy, high vibration machines that by design are putting the fumes right where you're going to breath them.
If ANYONE is even thinking about dabbling in battery powered, start with the hedger!
And I'll also say that the AEG is good, but the Husky is waaaay better....yes it's twice the price but oh so worth it!
Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales