• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic
spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

H&s Issues With 2 Stroke Gear?

Hedger is probably one of the best returns on investment in going battery....the battery that lasts 25 mins in the AEG trimmer.
And I'll also say that the AEG is good, but the Husky is waaaay better....yes it's twice the price but oh so worth it!

When you say 25 minutes do you mean 25 minutes hard work or some else. I run at about .7-.8 hours per tank. Is that gunna be 2 batteries or near enough? Ok for a trim not so much for a biiigg hedging job
Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

I always use Castrol activ 2T oil it's red in colour the only time I have smoke is if I leave a machine idling fir 5 mins or more whilst I use another , and then it only smokes for about twenty seconds until the cylinder burns hot .

I should give an update on the hedger - I took it back to Trade Tools - they replaced the carby and put a fresh fill of, I assume, 50:1 in it - it's better, acceptable smoke, revs a bit more freely - used it on a couple of small jobs since -  but I did make a mistake buying it - I've used all 4 stroke gear for most of my mowing life - it's heavier but quieter and minimal fumes - so its replacement looks like being the honda or bushranger versatool with short shaft hedger or the Stihl HLA65

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

Derwent
Derwent

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Business Name:Milligan Gardens

That's 25 mins of medium grade trimming (line trimmer). Gently trimming edges on a mow I'll get near an hour from a battery, around 8-10 lawns.
Full power pushing through thick wet grass knee high maybe 20 mins.
Hedge trimmer on the same battery probably 2-2.5 hours.
Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

I seldom hedge now but did a extremely profitable job and understand completely what happened to Croc. I now use the pole hedger for better leverage and control. Smoke in the face from the handheld happens, learning to work smarter with an extension is the way.
Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

^ l agree but wonder where the smoke some mention is coming from? l've never noticed enough from my gear to actually take any notice 

edit - except from memory using cheap 25:1 stuff like trade tools type gear

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:30 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Yep, I should have known you get what you pay for in the end - I've so little experience with 2 stroke gear I didn't realise it would be the fumes and the bl00dy noise - last bit of ringding gear I owned was in the mid 80s :)  (with the exception of an Echo blower in 2002)

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Bunya Nut
Bunya Nut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

^ l agree but wonder where the smoke some mention is coming from? l've never noticed enough from my gear to actually take any notice 

^ Pretty much the same here. All my gear is 2 stroke @ 50:1 mix and none of it smokes.

BUT; I can smell the Stihl HS45 hedger and the Husky 395xp saw. They are old tech 2 strokes. I can't smell any of the newer generation Stihl 2mix/4mix machines or the Husky x-torq machines.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

100:1 mix is the only way forward for 2 strokes

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Agree with Croc , they will smoke if you leave them idle for a while , this happens whilst using the pole and leaving the hand machine running on the ground . Once you getting them Reving again they clear fairly quickly.few years ago bought some crappy two stroke oil from supercheap and it was terrible caused my eldest son to collapse three times before we worked out what was causing it.
Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,042 posts

My hand held hedger shall be going on Gumtree next week, I've been using the pole trimmer as much as possible due to the leverage ect. A job I did yesterday required the hand held for at least 30 minutes. Like Croc I'm over soot being blown in my face and the associated ill feeling. I'm not taking on anymore hedge jobs I'm only looking at lawns now so might go down the Ego path. :unsure:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

You won't regret it John,

I'm going to buy one of the Ego hand hedgers to complement the pole hedger - the longer brushless one would be the logical choice for commercial use but it's heavy - so I may get the smaller one - I've currently got a little Bosch 36v I use when the pole hedger is too cumbersome - don't use it often but it's worth having.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

My hand held hedger shall be going on Gumtree next week, I've been using the pole trimmer as much as possible due to the leverage ect. A job I did yesterday required the hand held for at least 30 minutes. Like Croc I'm over soot being blown in my face and the associated ill feeling. I'm not taking on anymore hedge jobs I'm only looking at lawns now so might go down the Ego path. :unsure:

John, if you're doing small/medium reg maintained lawns, then I think the latest gen mowers would be fine, with plenty of attributes for this type of work.

Bigger lawns with longer wet grass, I think you'd struggle to do efficiently ?

I think the mowers work ok but, they're still the weak link when it comes to battery gear.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,042 posts

Thanks Fred, I'm just looking at the hedger ATM.
Cheers
Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Thanks Fred, I'm just looking at the hedger ATM.
Cheers

For what its worth, I picked up a husky battery hedge trimmer and pole hedger (along with some other new toys) last week and I couldn't be happier with them. I was going to keep my petrol hedgies for back up or for feral over grown work but after seeing how good these things performed I have no need for the 2 strokes. Honestly can't recommend them highly enough. 

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

For what its worth, I picked up a husky battery hedge trimmer and pole hedger (along with some other new toys) last week and I couldn't be happier with them. I was going to keep my petrol hedgies for back up or for feral over grown work but after seeing how good these things performed I have no need for the 2 strokes. Honestly can't recommend them highly enough. 

Can you give a bit of a review on the husky whipper snipper, I want one but am just unsure of run time out of a battery

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Can you give a bit of a review on the husky whipper snipper, I want one but am just unsure of run time out of a battery

Up until last week I have been running 4.2 amp batteries and I have been getting aprox 35min runtime out of each battery, 2 Batts gets me through the day (6-9 lawns) Im talking on average 550m2 blocks. 

I have just got a heap of the newer 5.2 amp batteries which I can't tell you too much about yet as I've been swapping them between machines and some (like the blower) chew through them pretty quickly.

you can get back pack batteries but $ per amp doesn't seem good value to me so I will keep running these batteries until they release the new 9.4amp batts. 

I absolutely love the batt whip and have retired the big Honda, I still use the bull handle husky petrol but on on feral slashing jobs

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

I sold my Trade Tools hedger last week John - dropped a few bucks on purchase price for being used a handful of times but no regrets - I'm putting the Bosch 36V on next then I'm buying an Ego - getting the kit to give me another 2.5AH battery so I don't run out on the whipper and blower.

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales