Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

Bulk Oil

I'm looking at buying 20L of Oil for all my mowers for the next financial year and was wondering what brands do most of you guys use. 

I'm looking around for the best price for 10w 30 semi Syn oil, seems silly to buy just 4 litres at a time when I regularly need to change oil on the Edger, 216 and Hustler. I got a bit annoyed at last time I bought Honda Oil, with them changing from 5 to 4 L but charging the same. 

Dan

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationSame Victorian weeds you have

Bulk Oil

as per other posts… the labels and containers may change but the oil inside should meet the specs stated on the label.

Oils rated SAE 10W-30 with an API suffix SH, SJ etc are what they are.

Almost all oils come out of very large tanks and are just packed into drums or retail packs then labeled with the label specified by whoever ordered that consignment.

Brand labels other than actual major petroleum companies are just stickers and containers.

Quite often it is cheaper to buy 20L in smaller 4L or 5L plastic packs as these are cheaper than the cost of  larger 20L metal or plastic drums as they are cheaper to produce, easier to box, pallet pack and transport.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Bulk Oil

Would that generic sourcing include the Nulon brand Grae? - I've used their additives for years but don't have anything scientific to justify why - just a kind of superstitious, insurance policy, "well it can't hurt" kind of approach - (and I ran my first HiAce out of water and seized it on the highway - I had previously treated it with Nulon E30 and, after letting it cool down and filling the radiator, it went on to give me 10 more years trouble free service)

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Bulk Oil

Wynns, Nulon, STP etc all buy their base oils from the major petro companies and in house blend to their secret recipes with additives (these additives also come from a few additive manufacturing companies who supply world wide).

(EDIT: The major petro companies buy their additives from the same sources.)

Most oil companies are not much different to the people that make sauce for pies and sausage rolls, they get the ingredients from outside sources and then follow what is basically a standard recipe.

Nulon uses high quality base oil ingredients and the magic you are talking about is PTFE (Dupont teflon). Most of the PTFE particles will be concentrated/removed by the filter assembly in pressure fed systems.

Your over heated Tojo may have recovered an ran on for the same number of kms without the additive.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Bulk Oil

Bit of info here.

http://lawnclub.com....ae30#entry15612

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Bulk Oil

Cheers Grae, I've given Nulon a fair bit of money over the years but I think now the KISS approach of buying a branded adequate spec oil and changing it regularly will do me.

And apologies Dan for the diversion - I don't run anything bigger than a GCV190 and have always bought 4 litre packs for the mowers and Honda or Briggs 30 grade oil for the whippers and blower - at 80ml a change even a litre lasts a while

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Bulk Oil

…more detail on oil specs and labels.

reading the back label of a Genuine B&S 4L SAE30 label (purchased at Bunnings) and ignoring the sales and marketing teams input.

The label reads 

1. Packaged in Australia for Briggs & Stratton Australia Pty Ltd

2. SAE 30* refers to the oil viscosity - https://en.wikipedia...E_International

3. API SG/CF** - all the letters explained here http://www.api.org/p...es#tab_gasoline

Thats it, those 3 points tell you everything you need to know about the oil in the container.

Aside from the hints on change intervals and overfill warnings you can learn no more from the label.

* multigrades have a prefix numeral followed by a W and are made for use in cold climates

e.g.: SAE 10W-30 means that the oil has a low viscosity prior to starting that ramps up until it gets to operating temperature then behaves as an SAE30 spec oil, multigrade oils do not last as long as single grade oils as the thinning additives degrade over time.

** SG is a spec for petrol engines, CF is a spec for diesel engines 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

bakes
bakes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Bulk Oil

I buy B&S SAE30 in the 20 litre container from coastline mowers for $119.

No where near as good a deal as another member here, but the best I have found over here in the West so far.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:29 AM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Bulk Oil

Apart from my Honda eu20i genny I have only ever used a SAE30 in all my small motors and never had any problems Briggs Honda they all get the same. Currently using a Penrite oil which I think cost $120- $130 for a 20lt drum.

The only reason I use a 10w-30 in the genny is because it is used for camping and there is sometimes a possibility that the temperature may fall below 0 degrees.

Dan, check out Lori's Fuel Supplies cnr Railway and Owen for bulk oils.     

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales