16 replies to this topic
Brocp
Brocp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Stihl Kombi System Vs Honda Versatool

G'day guys,

I'm in the market for a new mul####ool and I'm interested in feedback regarding the Stihl Kombi compared to Honda's versatool. I've used Honda's system quite a lot and while it was great, it was quite heavy ehen using especially the long shaft hedger. Admittedly i was using the 35cc engine on it but still I'm not sure the 25cc one would be much lighter. The Stihl's are lighter and do have more of a range of attachments, but my quoted price for the Fs130 engine plus long hedger was nearly $300 dollars more than the 25cc Honda with long hedger (Stihl was $1075 compared to the Honda at $800)

So bascially for anyone who uses the Stihl or has used both what are your opinions on them? Is there a clear better machine?

Thanks
Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

Slightly off topic but consider looking at the Shindaiwa Multi as well.

I have 2 of the power heads and most of the attachments and I have nothing but praise for mine.

http://allpower.com....230-power-head/

http://allpower.com....rt-articulated/

etc

I love the short shaft prune saw, it and the top handle saw does most of the work!

I am thinking of getting another hedger attachment and modifying it by making it a stubby shaft like the short prune saw attachment.

I have petrol hand held hedgers as well but in my old age they are getting heavier.

As for long pole hedgers I find that an aluminium adjustable trestle or an adjustable platform ladder (mine goes from 5ft to 8ft platform height) beats holding the weight of extended hedgers and gives you a better top line, most of the hedges around here are lelandii cypress I wish they were pittosporum or crotons.

Attached File  IMG_1123.jpg   139.59KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1054.jpg   135.67KB   0 downloads

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

read between the lines, if he seems drunk, he possibly is

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

shindaiwa for sure!

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

Brocp
Brocp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Cheers lads, my dealer also sells Shindaiwa as well so I'll have a chat to him about them.
Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

+1 for Shindaiwa - my local dealer is doing a quote for the power head plus long hedger converted to short -

I'm shopping for a pole hedger myself but find with my puny upper body strength now that all of the standard pole hedger setups are too long, heavy and unwieldy for me - I've tried a short hedger attachment on my UMK425 and agree it's too heavy for prolonged use

Don't know why it's difficult to buy a short hedger attachment for the power head now - that combination of length, weight and balance seems ideal for most work that I would do and would pretty much replace my standard hedger

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I havent used the Honda or the Shindi. I do own the Stihl and would recommend it.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

ROBBO
ROBBO

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Husqvarna does a short shaft hedger for the combi system, I'm thinking of getting one for my 525 to complement the long-shaft and pretty well replace my hand held petrol hedger. Price is up there at $379.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Slightly off topic but consider looking at the Shindaiwa Multi as well.

I have 2 of the power heads and most of the attachments and I have nothing but praise for mine.

SHINDAIWA M230 MULTI-TOOL POWER HEAD - Allpower

SHINDAIWA MULTI-TOOL ATTACHMENT SBA-AH230 – HEDGE ...

etc

I love the short shaft prune saw, it and the top handle saw does most of the work!

I am thinking of getting another hedger attachment and modifying it by making it a stubby shaft like the short prune saw attachment.

I have petrol hand held hedgers as well but in my old age they are getting heavier.

As for long pole hedgers I find that an aluminium adjustable trestle or an adjustable platform ladder (mine goes from 5ft to 8ft platform height) beats holding the weight of extended hedgers and gives you a better top line, most of the hedges around here are lelandii cypress I wish they were pittosporum or crotons.

attachicon.gifIMG_1123.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1054.jpg

The links are dead Grae but cant access allpower from anywhere.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

cam0063
cam0063

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

I am small rural town West OZ and dont know anything of Shindaiwa, other than what I have read, which is positive. I use the Stihl Kombi system [I think KM 94RC ?] and Honda UMC435 Versatool in a community care role and like them both. In my own business, i bought the Honda UMC 425 Versatool. 4 stroke, a tad easier on protected ears and folk near by, lighter than the UMC 435 so you can hang onto it longer and I personally like it a tad more in my hands than the Stihl. AND its cheaper to set up and add tools to? However there isnt a lot i it...

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

They worked at my end but I have edited the previous post and added full address links…

and the home page for Allpower is

http://allpower.com.au

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

also whilst I was checking the Allpower site I found this Shindaiwa SBA-AHS

http://allpower.com....-hedge-trimmer/

Attached File  SBA-AHS.jpg   29.47KB   1 downloads

…so there is no need to mod a long one (I guess my dealer doesn't stock it or it is a new item).

Now I will just buy one and offload a hand held on the gumtree. 

EDIT: I hate hand helds, no leverage, no balance!

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Thats odd, tried a couple of browsers but cant get to allpower from anywhere.

404 could not be found from this server

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

also whilst I was checking the Allpower site I found this Shindaiwa SBA-AHS

http://allpower.com....-hedge-trimmer/

attachicon.gifSBA-AHS.jpg

…so there is no need to mod a long one (I guess my dealer doesn't stock it or it is a new item).

Now I will just buy one and offload a hand held on the gumtree. 

EDIT: I hate hand helds, no leverage, no balance!

Cheers Grae, Puzzling my local dealer didn't know about them - reckoned the bits to convert were going to cost about $100 on top of the cost of long unit - I'll chase them up tomorrow.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

still off topic (sorry) references to the Shindi M2510 power head are for a USA spec model and as far as I know not applicable in Australia (I got a 404 clicking the M2510 link). 

EDIT: I've never seen a short shaft or found one on the net before, it may be new.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

l've got this and have thrashed the bejeezus out of it for many, many years   https://www.gettools...attachment.html  after giving up on the mak rbc2510's due to vibration, l bought a shindy t230 as a whippy and it fitted straight on (just had to drill a hole for the locator screw)

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

l've got this and have thrashed the bejeezus out of it for many, many years   https://www.gettools...attachment.html  after giving up on the mak rbc2510's due to vibration, l bought a shindy t230 as a whippy and it fitted straight on (just had to drill a hole for the locator screw)

Cheers CG, the ad mentions an 11 spline shaft - can you confirm this? - the Versatool uses a 7 I think.

Frustrating situation with these attachments - I'd buy the 25cc Honda for preference if they had a short hedger - silly thing is they do, but it's an accessory for the UMK full length whippers - and they have a square drive shaft where the versatools have a 7 spline I believe - anyway the dealer reckons he has converted them so I'll get a quote and then I'll decide between the Honda and the Shindaiwa.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

its def more than 7.....

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales