16 replies to this topic
plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Van Recomendation

Looking at getting a van soon and curious to hear anyone else using one.  Looking to get one with low km's less than 4-5 yrs old.  I started looking at the hyundai  iload, ford transit custom, renault trafic but wondering if I'd be better off with a larger high roof van like the ford transit, mercedes sprinter, renault master.   The smaller vans would be a painful crouch getting in and out but not sure if that's an issue as I wouldn't need to get inside that much?

So to those who use van's, what do you drive and do you think high roof is a good idea?

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Van Recomendation

Hi Plucka,

Everyone has their own favourites - I declare myself a toyota tragic - if you want extra capacity and roof height get the 9.0CuMtr high roof.

Anecdotally I've heard the Transit range has been plagued by poor reliablity - my mechanic said he had a profitable earner fitting commodore auto boxes to them when the factory one failed prematurely - my locksmith had an iLoad  - he had no complaints except it was fierce on fuel (but the 2.7 VVTi Toyota engine is pretty thirsty too) - my neighbour's son has a business trading in used busses/motor homes - has mentioned the repair costs on Renault/Fiat/Merc being pretty high.

I've got a 1995 LWB petrol HiAce I've owned for about 8 years - 333000 on the clock - started mowing again with it before buying a HiLux - it's cost me about $1.50 in that time :lol: - seriously, just normal repairs for a vehicle of that age - if you're looking at a young one you shouldn't have any major problems - I'm thinking of going back to a van myself.

Cheers

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Van Recomendation

Big Toyota fan myself but the hi ace appears to be left in an 1980's timewarp.  Doesn't appear to have been updated since then and from what I read the iload, traffic etc drive much better.  Did your hiace have the high roof or low?

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Van Recomendation

Low roof Plucka, I've thought about High but the sticking point for me has been shopping centres and carparks - My cars have always been dual purpose for work but also day to day use plus camping etc - the normal roof is just a car that looks like a box - high roof too many restrictions on where I can go - if it's just for work the extra space would be good tho.

Relative mechanical simplicity and conservative design can be a strong point too IMHO - mainly in cost of ownership I think - Toyota seem to have a philosophy of putting a sizeable donk in all their cars and not going down the small cap/turbo route - makes for more leisurely/cheap driving I reckon - also an absence of touch screen consoles and trinkets in the cabin means less to go wrong - and when the touch screen plays up and the only place you can go is the manufacturer you're going to take it up the bottom for sure.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Van Recomendation

be either a hyundai or toyota for me too (or a vw transporter)- heard a few horror stories regarding the transits

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Van Recomendation

be either a hyundai or toyota for me too (or a vw transporter)- heard a few horror stories regarding the transits

Yes it's a real shame about the Transit - with the number of wheelbase and height combinations it looks the perfect solution for so many businesses and grey nomads - I did a bit of research on them on web forums thinking of buying one a while back and remember lots of sad stories of major mechanical failures.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Van Recomendation

If i was gonna revehicle  i would have a good look at a Pantec, wouldnt suit everybody but what does.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Van Recomendation

Good point about the roof height Crocster, I didn't think about shopping centres and the like, I think that rules out high roof then.  I was leaning towards the Renault traffic but reliability and service/repair costs are a bit of a question.  I agree reliability trumps all and that would have to go to Toyota even if it does look like a coffin with wheels, lots of 2nd hand ones to choose from as well. Think it will be a choice between the hiace and iload then.

Don't think I need anything bigger as all I need to carry is a mower, trimmer, blower, sprayer, hedger and the few bags of clippings I collect.  Will keep the trailer for waste removal/cleanups which I don't do a lot of anyway.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Van Recomendation

If i was gonna revehicle  i would have a good look at a Pantec, wouldnt suit everybody but what does.

+1 for the pantec truck you can pick up ex rental trucks with all the fruit on them for peanuts. They have at least double the weight carrying ability of a van. And a hell of alot more room running costs are on par with a ute or van as well. I want down the truck path and havnt looked back.
cheers,
Smokey
Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Van Recomendation

Good point about the roof height Crocster, I didn't think about shopping centres and the like, I think that rules out high roof then.  I was leaning towards the Renault traffic but reliability and service/repair costs are a bit of a question.  I agree reliability trumps all and that would have to go to Toyota even if it does look like a coffin with wheels, lots of 2nd hand ones to choose from as well. Think it will be a choice between the hiace and iload then.

Don't think I need anything bigger as all I need to carry is a mower, trimmer, blower, sprayer, hedger and the few bags of clippings I collect.  Will keep the trailer for waste removal/cleanups which I don't do a lot of anyway.

I'm not ready to buy yet Plucka but I'm running a daily search on Carsales.com.au and this one came in this morning:-

https://www.carsales...14841824/?Cr=16

2010 model with 125Klms on the clock has gotta be worth a look.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Guest_Cameron_*
Guest_Cameron_*
  • Guests

Van Recomendation

+1 for the iLoad, much more comfy than the Toyota and just as relaible. Vans use around 8l/100.

No to the Pantec, 20l+ per 100ks of diesel, they are terribly expensive to run, I ran trucks for 10 years. Insurance over $1300 and tyres can be be a killer, we used to get 10k out of steer tyres, lots of u-turns.

You can't get though the drive thus with a pantec truck, you can't get into a lot of shopping centres and have to watch out for low bridges in some areas and trees. If you have to have a truck don't get a Pantec, your costs drop dramatically with a tray back, fuel use drops to about 14l/100 and the height restrictions all disappear. Never buy an ex rental either they have been flogged to death, you will find the gearboxes are generally stuffed or close to it being flogged by weekend hire hoons. Think how you or your mates might drive a rental.

I worked in courier fleets previously, we would strongly discourage drivers from buying ex rentals due to past experience.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Van Recomendation

New player-  LDV G10, from $26k brand new.  Worth considering.

http://www.ldvautomo...es/ldv-g10-van/

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Van Recomendation

I have a 2010 lwb high roof transit. I was restricted in options because I regularly tow heavy, over 2t.
I only use it for work and love the high roof.
Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Van Recomendation

Toyota.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Van Recomendation

For those with vans-  what do you find works for securing the mower in the back?  

-Straps- secure but lots of wasted time doing straps up/off

-Bit of timber etc on the van floor to chock the mower wheels- quick in and out but not as secure as straps

-Something else?

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Van Recomendation

For those with vans-  what do you find works for securing the mower in the back?  

-Straps- secure but lots of wasted time doing straps up/off

-Bit of timber etc on the van floor to chock the mower wheels- quick in and out but not as secure as straps

-Something else?

I have motorbike tie down wheel chocks and tie down points in mine. (prev owner raced road bikes). I just use a heavy duty rubber strap. Takes 5 secs. May not be the safest thing in the world as I don't run a cage in case of an accident but its a tiny risk I'm comfortable with taking. 

When setting up what goes were just remember that you don't want to get into the van to access stuff you use on a Dailey bases.  The sliding door step is a great place to sit to put on and remove your pack pack sprayer for eg.

A lawnie in my area did his van a little like an electricians with shelving running along the drivers side wall. Its unpractical as that's were his whipper and line etc goes so he is forever getting in and out of the van. He does have a clever roof net that hangs down a little bit that he puts his rakes and things in and up out of the way.

I'm running a town ace and its a touch to small. Hiace would be perfect size, you can get these in a LWB if you like but that's a tad big than what id need, no need to go Hi roof if you think about the set up as you are rearly getting in the back. (unless its raining and you want to have a drink and some lunch comfortably sitting on the engine cowl over looking the water or getting changed into clean/dry cloth's for a sneaky quiet ale before home) but again it depends on your business not mine. Tint the windows as dark as you can and leaving it parked with your tools becomes not a worry. Fob locking would also be benifial on the job.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Van Recomendation

I have always owned Toyotas and currently have a Toyota for a family car but the Dismal towing capacity excludes them from my van options.

I tow maybe 3 times a fortnight and when I do it can be quite heavy loads, which (don't get me wrong) I charge accordingly, -- big dollar garden clean ups. 

until Toyota bring out a van that can tow 2.5ish tonne ill stick with my Ford transit. 

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
LAWN FORUM
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
LAWN BUSINESS ARTICLES
Lawn Mower News and Sales
INDUSTRY SUPPLIER NEWS