10 replies to this topic
surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

New Father And Son Start Up

Hi from brisbane south side helping my 20yr old son with his first business after 6 months in Tony Abbotts green army -forum looks great am learning alot already

who knew mowing had such a steep learning curve

keen for any tips from Brissie Lawnies on getting ahead in Brisbane mowing scene

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hello and welcome Surfi, I'm on the Southside round Sunnybank - where are you?

Cheers

Croc

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hi Crocster -inner southside we are slowly building a run but tough this time of year! hope all is g with you?

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Thanks Surfi, yes I'm real quiet at the moment but I'm semi retired so I'm not stressing (yet) - I've been mulling over other services to offer - I've got a van as well as the ute so I'm thinking of some kind of "man and van" mini removal/appliance delivery service - you see a few on Gumtree

get your advertising worked out and give it a big shake in spring

Good luck anyway.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Guest_Cameron_*
Guest_Cameron_*
  • Guests

Hi, I'm new as well. Welcome, how are you finding service seeking? I thought about them but they want a minimum monthly spend and there aren't enough jobs come through up my way.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Cheers Cameron tried hi pages for a while but you have to pay to quote service seeking have just started a trial month so will post a few updates to compare them
Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Hi surfi
Good to see another young bloke in the industry giving it a crack your a lucky bugger having your old man on board. My old boy only comes out when he can park his #### on the ztr ha ha .

I'm out Sydney way so marketing might be a bit different.

I find most of my work has come from word of mouth or people walking by on the street. I have also had great results with gumtree.

The best advice I can give is to have a neat and tidy set up along with a uniform I find this looks professional goes a long way when quoting jobs.

One bit of advice my old man is always telling me is don't sell my self short because I might as well sit in the lounge chair and enjoy going broke instead of working hard and going broke from under quoting ha ha

Cheers,
Smokey
Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Cheers Smokey

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Hi Surfi,

I'm inner south west Brisbane myself, only started last summer and things have gone well for me.  Got 50 regulars at the moment.  Best tips I can give it don't under-price and work for peanuts, aim for at least $70/hr.  Starting out in winter will be slow but come spring you should advertising as much as possible- get flyers out- 1000's of them, the hit rate is low, but get enough out and they work, gumtree, yellow pages, local paper, facebook.

I too recently signed up to hi pages $99, 6 month special.  I was sceptical and being winter I've only got 3 leads from them so far which I quoted on, 2 I didn't get but the one I did was a big job so guess it's more than paid for itself already.  Doubt I'll use them past 6 months as I reckon there are cheaper and better ways to advertise, but when you're starting you can't do enough.  Good luck.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi Cameron, Surf & Plucka

When you pay for a monthly subscription ($99) or using any leads generation website, you are competing against ten other business in your area. My suggestion is to use that money and setup AdWords campaign, do it yourself, and the leads only come to you. Google AdWords is based on cost per click; you pay for each click someone clicks on your ad. The cost of mowing can be from $2-3. 

If you need help with setting up AdWords, I can help you. I have been using it for "Good Mowing" business I started three weeks ago.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Actually hi pages was only $99 for 6 months and you only compete against 2 others for each lead, I probably had another $70 in lead fees on top of that.  I got about $1200 worth of work out if it but I didn't continue the subscription.

I tried google ad words for a month, cost me about $60, I think I got one call and no job out of it, total waste of money for me.  I'm still on google my business which puts me on google maps etc, I get a couple of hits a week from hit and costs nothing.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
LAWN FORUM
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
LAWN BUSINESS ARTICLES
Lawn Mower News and Sales
INDUSTRY SUPPLIER NEWS