15 replies to this topic
surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

Mower Blades

Being a newbie whats the go with getting mower blades sharpened ? is it easier just to replace them ? had a few rough long grass jobs lately looking for some tips -much appreciated -s

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:30 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

Mower Blades

Just use them until they wear out, then put on new ones. Pay attention to the bolts, they wear out too.

The top, trailing edge of the lift fold and the leading cutting edge slowly erode away.

Unless you are close cutting regular cuts on fine grass (couch, Qld Blue etc) half worn blades are as good as new ones.

If you want to sharpen blades…

draw file them regularly

or

if using a powered grinder, don't make hot spots which will soften the metal, just use successive, quick wipes along the faced edge.

Sharpening usually causes balance problems.

I normally only sharpen full bar blades and then balance them, I don't bother with cheap rotary swing blades.

edits by DJ

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

Mower Blades

mate you are a legend :)

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Mower Blades

…also,

sand and weeds eat up blades a lot faster than lawns do,so try and keep a decent height on the grass leaves/blades, scalping lawns isn't worth it.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Mower Blades

I'm not sure what others do here but I buy my blades in bulk for the Honda mowers like 50 pairs at a time they also come with bolts and washers.

And change them as required usually every 2 or 3 weeks In peak seasion it dosent take long to do but makes a huge difference mowing with sharp blades.

Cheers
Smokey
Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Mower Blades

I sharpen mine with a bench grinder, it does make a difference,  replace them after about 3 sharpenings.   If you have a Honda you can buy the blades from boats.net for like half the price they sell them here, thats even with shipping.  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:04 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Mower Blades

Being a newbie whats the go with getting mower blades sharpened ? is it easier just to replace them ? had a few rough long grass jobs lately looking for some tips -much appreciated -s

Hi get yourself  Flap Grinding Discs,  you get a really superior edge and dont  overheating as bad compared to grinding discs.  there are many different types , get the finest you can  the bunning one below is a example.

https://www.bunnings...p-disc_p6320415

I sharpen Blades from new put a edge on them the same angle as the lift flute.  they hold there edge very well as they wear.  and the extra edge does create extra throw.

I never resharpen them .  Swing back Blades are throwaways I only resharpen thick rideon bar blades but they need to be balanced .  BALANCER ====>>>  http://www.ebay.com....5oAAOSwcgNZCajB

Honda HRU216  blades are only $2 each including bolts and washes. $8 for a new set of 4

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Mower Blades

Some blades are a much harder steel than others too, the last lot I got were very poor in quality. Industrial Mowers were great for Victa and Honda, they would last much longer. But as Macka said for the cost it's not worth the worry.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Mower Blades

as an aside…

On bar blades, 3/16" aluminium pop rivets are a better idea than factory type blade shear bolts.

Just as secure and seconds to replace. Hand riveter and spare pops in the ride on tool storage box (lunch box).

edit Walker blade shear bolts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Business Name:Pan Horticulture

Mower Blades

Hi get yourself  Flap Grinding Discs,  you get a really superior edge and dont  overheating as bad compared to grinding discs.  there are many different types , get the finest you can  the bunning one below is a example.

https://www.bunnings...p-disc_p6320415

I sharpen Blades from new put a edge on them the same angle as the lift flute.  they hold there edge very well as they wear.  and the extra edge does create extra throw.

I never resharpen them .  Swing back Blades are throwaways I only resharpen thick rideon bar blades but they need to be balanced .  BALANCER ====>>>  http://www.ebay.com....5oAAOSwcgNZCajB

Honda HRU216  blades are only $2 each including bolts and washes. $8 for a new set of 4

WHere are you getting these sets of blades, nuts and washers from?

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Mower Blades

They are for the HONDA HRU216  21" mowers

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Mower Blades

http://www.asproduct...-h-lift21-0-3kg

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Mower Blades

Last supply i get blades from dont have them anymore, these will do the job,  you could but a smaller pack and give them a try before buy 100 , thats what i would do. but looking into there reviews they look to be a outstanding ebayer with only 2 negatives and 12000 positives in 12 months'

I have got alot of stuff of these guys with no issues.  jonojohno20004  / http://www.chainsawspares.com.au

http://www.ebay.com....=item2ee3ac9f7b

NOTE: make sure you get the right blades for you mower, HRU216 are different than HRU214, and get all high lift

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

panhorti
panhorti

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Business Name:Pan Horticulture

Mower Blades

Thanks guys.

I have purchased blades from ASP before but can't  seem to find the bolt kits.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Mower Blades

Page 42/72 on the 2017 parts catalogue

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Mower Blades

Been using ASP for years, great guys to deal with.

Use their 2.7mm round whippy cord as well no problems.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales