drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Ego 56V

I,d wait and see if they bring out a multi charger like Aeg  :)

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Ego 56V

I,d wait and see if they bring out a multi charger like Aeg  :)

Just bought another regular charger on Gumtree for $20 - I'll take 2 and a double adaptor if it's looking like a big day - and I'll see what Ego comes up with next season - no sign of the bigger blower here yet and it's been out in the states for a while.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

Just a heads up for anyone contemplating buying the Ego multi tool - I've been using one mostly as a whipper for about a month now and the jury is in - it likes batteries - on average I'm getting around 2 suburban lawns per 2.5AH battery - if they're overgrown it will be under 2 - smaller jobs just under 3

Others here have said they were getting significantly more from theirs - what I'm guessing now is that they are using the dedicated whipper or an earlier brushed version of the multi - I'm guessing that to make it powerful enough to run all the different attachments you can get that they've had to tweak the motor a bit and, as a consequence, it sucks more juice? - a dedicated whipper could be made more economical.

I'm still more than happy with the gear and, with 3 x 2.5 batteries and a 5AH on the blower as a last resort it will get me through my working day - if I ever decide to try another tool it would be the 18V AEG whipper - did someone here say they were light?  :lol:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Ego 56V

getta bigga fuel tank :-) 

The AEG 18v is excellent for maintained jobs, doesnt like the overgrown stuff that you,d use a bull handle on though. Havnt tried it with heavier line yet might chuck in some lighter stuff see how it goes.
Light!!! if it was any lighter you could use it as a torch  :)

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Business Name:Groundworks Property Care

Ego 56V

Croc I reckon it's because we've gone from the dormant to growing season. I was getting 8 jobs with my Sthil FSA90R a month ago, now just 4. The gear is working twice as hard and so are we!
Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Ego 56V

I’d agree too Trev!.
Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Ego 56V

I agree and was going to mention this anyway.   I did a couple of really overgrown jobs today, edges were shocking, full throttle to get through them.  Battery only lasted for 2.5 jobs on my Husky.  Not sue how long it ran for i'm guessing about 30 mins with the 5.2AH. The Ego multi tool I used on demo day definitely had better cutting power than the husky i'm using now. Having said that it's still as good as the 2 stroke Stihl I was using.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Ego 56V

Actually it was probably closer to 40 mins but not the hour I was getting when being gentle on the trigger.
Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Ego 56V

Agree that the work load is greater ATM but, also think that it would take more juice turning a shaft than a direct drive.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

Croc I reckon it's because we've gone from the dormant to growing season. I was getting 8 jobs with my Sthil FSA90R a month ago, now just 4. The gear is working twice as hard and so are we!

There's truth in that for sure Trev - but my Ego usage started with 2-3 weeks of the big dry we had here and it wasn't much over 3 lawns then from memory - no matter, as I said I'm well pleased with the gear, if I ever want to do brushcutting with it I'll just put the 5.0 on it - the torque you get from it at modest revs is phenomenal - I was forever wrapping it round something before I had a chance to disengage - it's ability is somewhere between my Honda 425 and 435 whippers I'd guess - 

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

I just had a 2.5AH battery fail with flashing green led - Dr Google says it's a fault and just to return to vendor for replacement - rang Trade Tools who said it would have to be booked in as a wty job and returned to Ego for evaluation - said I was a commercial user - too bad - rang QLD Ego rep John Goodman who said that was cr@p and to just take it back for a straight swap - he will contact Trade Tools and let them know the wty facts.

While I had him on the line I mentioned the battery life on the multi-tool and he confirmed that it was a lot heavier on batteries than the dedicated tools - has to be powerful enough to handle all attachments and also is driving a shaft - I also mentioned the fact that the dedicated whipper spins clockwise to the surprise of Steve35 - he said they'd advised China HQ that commercial operators would prefer counterclockwise and said that it's being addressed for new models.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Ego 56V

I just had a 2.5AH battery fail with flashing green led - Dr Google says it's a fault and just to return to vendor for replacement - rang Trade Tools who said it would have to be booked in as a wty job and returned to Ego for evaluation - said I was a commercial user - too bad - rang QLD Ego rep John Goodman who said that was cr@p and to just take it back for a straight swap - he will contact Trade Tools and let them know the wty facts.

While I had him on the line I mentioned the battery life on the multi-tool and he confirmed that it was a lot heavier on batteries than the dedicated tools - has to be powerful enough to handle all attachments and also is driving a shaft - I also mentioned the fact that the dedicated whipper spins clockwise to the surprise of Steve35 - he said they'd advised China HQ that commercial operators would prefer counterclockwise and said that it's being addressed for new models.

Just wondering why you prefer counter clockwise? id actually prefer clockwise.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

Just habit I guess - every petrol whipper I've ever owned ran ccw as far as I can remember - the rep said it was common feedback they got at demo days and they'd passed it back to HQ some time back.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Ego 56V

really, they spin clockwise? 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Ego 56V

…the engineers in the design dept. must have only ever owned bent shafts!

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

I am overly optimistic, I am 3/4 full of beer again!

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Ego 56V

I tried using it clockwise today, absolutely impossible for me. I felt like i was fighting it and it kept digging into the lawn.

Maybe if I was left handed and/or walked around the yard clockwise it would work but after 14 years of going around anticlockwise its a hard habit to change!

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

I tried using it clockwise today, absolutely impossible for me. I felt like i was fighting it and it kept digging into the lawn.

Maybe if I was left handed and/or walked around the yard clockwise it would work but after 14 years of going around anticlockwise its a hard habit to change!

Yes years of habit are hard to change - and there's a productivity cost for us commercial users - I had similar issues getting used to using a loop handle whipper on the multitool after 35 years of bull horns - you might just be able to hit them up for a discount on the new CCW head model when it appears - the rep seems to want to get the equipment into commercial use.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

I bought the brushless 650mm bar hedge trimmer a week ago as I had a few gardening jobs coming up - put a few hours on it now and all I can say is no regrets! - the big 32mm jaws cut larger leafed hedge species brilliantly - I'm no hedging expert but I can get that sharp shaved look with ease - yes it's a bit heavy but the long bar and cutting ability of the thing compensate because you really only need one pass over the job most of the time - big thumbs up

I think I own every Ego toy but the mower now so I'll shut up for a while  :lol:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Ego 56V

I bought the brushless 650mm bar hedge trimmer a week ago as I had a few gardening jobs coming up - put a few hours on it now and all I can say is no regrets! - the big 32mm jaws cut larger leafed hedge species brilliantly - I'm no hedging expert but I can get that sharp shaved look with ease - yes it's a bit heavy but the long bar and cutting ability of the thing compensate because you really only need one pass over the job most of the time - big thumbs up

I think I own every Ego toy but the mower now so I'll shut up for a while  :lol:

You will be the state Ego rep soon.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Ego 56V

You will be the state Ego rep soon.

LOL - not my cup of tea - much prefer using it to flogging it.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales