crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Ego 56V

I've driven a Pregio van - we better allow about 10 days before we schedule anything down here :lol:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Ego 56V

The lithium ion type batteries can be fussy with their charging and discharging, that's why they have battery management systems built into the battery packs. Discharging too far can do permanent damage but the BMS should prevent that, as well as: preventing over charging, balancing the charge voltage of each cell and controlling the pack's temperature.
Leaving them in a hot place (eg. A hot vehicle) isn't a good move.

(If things do go wrong it can be very dangerous!)

So, if you were to use a battery system, how would you transport the batteries in hot weather ?

Cheers Fred

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Ego 56V

But seriously, depending on what day i might even wangle a sickie, and head down for a day or two.

I'll keep you posted Drew. My internet down now so doing this on phone. Be back in touch soon.
Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

So, if you were to use a battery system, how would you transport the batteries in hot weather ?

Cheers Fred

Sorry, I was talking more along the lines of not leaving them sitting in the sun in a closed vehicle. Some dash cameras that use lithium ion batteries have come to rather spectacular deaths from overheating. Although I wouldn't imagine anyone would be charging an Ego battery in a hot vehicle.

The Ego manual mentions not to leave them in cars and gives optimum charging conditions as being between 0-40C. They've got an over temp cut out at 70C to protect them during use. There's even a system to protect the cells if stored over 1 month- it keeps the charge reduced to 30% for longer cell life.

Pretty impressive given they've also designed the batteries with ventilation in mind.
Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

I bought the pole saw kit and the hedge trimmer attachment this morning. It was the only kit in the store and they seemed to have only one attachment of each type (which were out of the boxes on display.) I guess that's Adelaide for you; I was expecting to have trouble finding one. It just happened that the local Ego Rep was in there doing some training with the store staff, so he helped out getting all the bits together and mentioned the smaller Stratco stores in Adelaide don't have them- only Gepps Cross (I bought the only one) and St Marys.

It all looks well made and the 2.5Ah battery charged to full in around 30 minutes from it's partly charged state. I was a bit disappointed to not see a row of LEDs (or similar) to show the charge level, like on my 18V AEG batteries. Does it only give a green or red indication for charge levels or did I miss something?

I won't be much good for reviewing it, but if you've got any questions or want reach measurements let me know.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

Yes, that's all I got from looking through the manual. The bar graph on my AEG batteries is great as there are four different levels displayed- so you get a bit of warning when the pack is going flat.

I forgot to mention I found some info on a USA Ego forum that said the motor is rated at 2000W power. That's up there with 240V corded tools! At 56V that would work out to around 36 Amps peak current drain. It makes me wish they'd included the 5Ah battery instead of the 2.5Ah. It's my first bit of Ego gear so I've only got the one battery.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationIn Melbourne getting ready for hibernation

Ego 56V

2000W is the equivalent  of 2.68 Horse Power

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Ego 56V

Thanx Murcod, just looking to do it the safest way.

I have a tester for power points that I test with b4 plugging into customers power points.

Imagine plugging in, continuing on with the job, then well..... you know  :o .

The battery indicator isn't as much of an issue as I first thought, you get a feel for it after a while.

When the red light comes on you're down to 15% & when it flashes, you're done.

If you could do a review Id'd be very interested (as Im sure would others) as I have 6 batteries, 1x4, 2x2.5 & 3x2amp/hrs +6 reg & 1 rapid charger. 

You'll probably need a second battery but I don't know how much juice the pole hedger & saw will pull ?

Funnily enough, the hand hedger & the chainsaw pull way less than the blower.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

Okay a quick reply after using them both.

I'm very impressed with the power of both of them- and I was only using them on the lowest speed! The hedger seems to match their 26mm (IIRC) rating and appeared to cut through anything that would fit between the teeth. (This is all in relation to cutting back two large Pittosporum Screen Masters which are about 5m high?) The battery lasted a lot longer than I expected, it outlasted my desire to keep going and call it a day... The saw was powerful too, but if it got caught on anything (ie. small twiggy type branches) while coming up to speed the battery would cut out. Perhaps the faster speed or a higher capacity battery would make a difference? Once up to speed it didn't slow down cutting through vertical branches up to around 10cm thick roughly.

"Faults": the D grip handle has a grip that sticks out 90 degrees in front of it, it feels too weak and flexes if you're using the tool's full length with the extension. With the hedger on there is a fair bit of weight to control, the saw isn't so bad. The total length on paper sounds a lot better than what it is in use- perhaps just me expecting a bit too much and not accounting for the ~ 60 degree angle you need to work at! The battery cut out with the red flashing so I stopped and cleaned up all the mess I'd made. About an hour later I checked it and it indicated solid green- so in theory "full"..... So I'm not a fan of their red or green indication.

The kit did come with the body sling which I didn't think was included from what I'd read? Overall, very happy - but I have only got an archaic B&D 18V pole hedger and chainsaw to compare against.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

One other small thing, the attachment point on the shaft for the sling is a loose metal ring. I found it fiddly to try and clip the sling onto a loose ring while supporting the machine with the other hand. A fixed attachment point would be better. It got annoying when I was alternating between the saw and hedger a lot.
Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Ego 56V

Many thanx Murcod.

Yer, with the pole saw it would be better with less flex as the chain rests on the wood as you cut through.

I think with the hedger you may be better off ditching the D handle & supporting the weight with your hand on the pole itself.

In most situations, the handle just usually gets in the way making the job more awkward.

With the pole chainsaw (as with most chainsaws) in most cases its better to have it at full revs b4 starting the cut as this will make the saw bite in rather than be pulled in.

Not so much a prob with pole saw but with a reg c/saw this can be a cause of kickback or pull the bar.

Cheers Fred

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationIn Melbourne getting ready for hibernation

Ego 56V

A battery version of this will cover almost every lawn and general garden maintenance occasional need.

Attached File  IMG_1134.jpg   67.54KB   1 downloads

Optional extra mid length hedge comb (not a stupid 30" inches, 16" or 20" would be closer to the mark and no need for all the adjustable angle crap) it is straight or it is 90° 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

Grae, I use the adjustable angle between 90 and straight all the time on my old B&D. I was using the Ego in between as well today. For me it's a great feature.

Fred, the thick Pittosporum foliage made things hard to see, so I was using the hedger until I hit something too big and then trying to clear around that until I could get access with saw. I was also using a Fiskars pole lopper that's around 5m long. I've got a massive Desert Ash that will be better to test the saw on.
Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet- the power head and attachments use a spline drive coupling. I saw it mentioned on the USA forum that the "standard" is normally a square drive, which I guess is what the 56V AEG system (talked about in the other thread) must use?

Somebody on that forum had also pulled the Ego apart and found it uses proper ball bearings throughout to support the solid drive shafts.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

I hadn't book marked it, but Google to the rescue https://community.eg...sal-attachments

There are a lot of measurements and comparisons between the build of the Ego and the "universal" attachments. After reading that comparison and delving into all the battery protection Ego has incorporated I decided to buy it. My equipment is only for personal use, but I still wanted to buy something that was going to last.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

One other thing I've noticed is the trigger safety interlock is set up for right handed use- ie. it is positioned where your right hand thumb sits. It is not recessed (it actually sticks out a fair bit), if you grip the tool left handed on the trigger grip you will most likely depress the interlock with the palm of your hand and then the trigger is "live". So left handed people need to be aware you basically won't have a safety interlock once you're gripping the trigger grip handle. It's actually a really bad design (from a safety aspect.)

EGO_power_head_switch-500x500.jpg

(My old B&D chainsaw has recessed interlocks on both sides of the handle. Being recessed, neither can be activated accidentally when picking the saw up or by simply gripping the hand grip with either hand.)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

A bad angle to be cutting at (restricted access.) Dry dead wood on a Desert Ash.

Ego%20Saw%20branch.jpg

Low speed was fine and didn't bog down once up to speed. The battery didn't last long doing those sort of cuts.

The full length of the saw kit. I'm actually wondering how an extra extension would go for occasional use with the saw (not with the hedger)? The extensions seem strong enough, I wonder if anyone has tried it overseas?

Ego%20Saw%20length.jpg

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Ego 56V

Probably ok for occasional use.
I did this once with my Shindaiwa, it worked but, puts alot more stress on the shaft & its much harder to control when off the verticle.
You can get the wobbles up....... lol.

Cheers Fred.
Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

It would only be for occasional use. I could have used a bit more reach yesterday to finish cutting a broken branch from the main trunk.

PS: for anyone looking at buying Ego stuff- if you live where Stratco stores are you can join their Super Saver Club and get points on purchases. Buying the multi tool saw kit and the hedger attachment (at the same prices as advertised elsewhere) I got a $40 voucher.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

I asked EGO if an  extra extension could be fitted without any problems, they said yes. 

Thanks Drewebb. That's good to know.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales