• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic
murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

"Faults": the D grip handle has a grip that sticks out 90 degrees in front of it, it feels too weak and flexes if you're using the tool's full length with the extension. ....

I just watched this video and noticed the handle they've got in the USA is missing that bit which I said seems a bit weak

Edit: there are at least thee different handles:

With (version sold here)

Ego-Multi-Tool-hedger-MHT2001E-X-main-38

Without

Ego-Multi-Tool-Chainsaw-MPS1001E-Xkit2.j

With (possibly with a green flip up lever to quickly adjust the position?)

ego-mhsc2000e-multi-tool.jpg

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Ego 56V

I thought I'd pop this in as an idea for those looking at this equipment and may need to charge on the go. This is my portable 120a/h battery and inverter setup. I have the same idea hard wired in the car but leave this at camp when we 4wd. The twin Anderson plugs are for the inverter and the solar or 240volt input. You can see I've modified the charger with an Anderson plug and extended lead.

The idea of this is to safely lock the setup in a car away from theiving eyes, the extended lead will slip between the door rubbers for overnight charging. Agm's are safe to charge in a confined space as they do not give off any gas like a wet cell. Cost, up to $220 for the battery and up to $100 for the inverter. Allow another $40 for plugs and leads.

Attached Files

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

AGM batteries can gas- I've had one do it on a 12v solar set-up. The battery appeared to have developed an internal short with the top of a cell very hot. Luckily it was in a well ventilated garage, but the odour from the gases was still very pungent. It was an older battery but the gassing failure was sudden.

You can buy sealed battery boxes that come with venting kits that have a tube you run out to atmosphere.
Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Ego 56V

They only gas if charged to a very high voltage over 14.8 or extreme heat. In most conditions with correct charging they are very safe. Perhaps that battery had failed internally, the average life is around 7 years if you maintain it correctly.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

The charge voltage was set to bulk charge at 14.2V in accordance with the manufacturer's specs. It was an expensive battery but was getting on in age. My best guess is a cell shorted and caused over charging of the remaining cells.

It's one of those things that can happen.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Ego 56V

Just spoke with TradeTools Archerfield - the first shipment of the new gear is supposed to arrive on August first - they're waiting to hear back from the rep about getting a show and tell session set up for any of us interested so no idea of dates but I'll keep you posted.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Ego 56V

That,s a bit rough that,s not 10 days notice  :P 

Is that the one on Beaudesert ?

Edit wonder if they,ll do an Echo and invite us to the factory?  :) Thats for Jason

You might have to rent a Hilux  :lol:

I'd say 2 chances on the factory trip - the Tradetools guy was p!ssed off that they had to make their own arrangements to pick a $100000 order up from  Ego's warehouse! - no delivery.

Yep it's the one on Beaudesert rd.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Ego 56V

I'll pop along if the day eventuates Croc, good job trying to organise something. :)
Cheers
Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Ego 56V

Good John, I certainly hope it comes off - it'll be good to have the Ego rep there to answer any questions - so if anyone here has any maybe start a new thread "Ego 56v questions" and we'll collate them all before the day.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Ego 56V

I thought I'd pop this in as an idea for those looking at this equipment and may need to charge on the go. This is my portable 120a/h battery and inverter setup. I have the same idea hard wired in the car but leave this at camp when we 4wd. The twin Anderson plugs are for the inverter and the solar or 240volt input. You can see I've modified the charger with an Anderson plug and extended lead.

The idea of this is to safely lock the setup in a car away from theiving eyes, the extended lead will slip between the door rubbers for overnight charging. Agm's are safe to charge in a confined space as they do not give off any gas like a wet cell. Cost, up to $220 for the battery and up to $100 for the inverter. Allow another $40 for plugs and leads.

Great idea John, I'm wondering if I could just hook an inverter up to the main ute battery and just give them a bump up between jobs while the engines running - I have 10-15mins between some jobs - should be enough to put 20% charge back in anyway? - I've got an inline undervoltage cutout switch that could go in too.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Ego 56V

That will work mate!.
Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

The rapid charger specs say it's rated at 550 Watts and you'd want to use a decent sine wave inverter- not a modified sine wave. So the inverter will draw in excess of 40 Amps on a 12 volt vehicle with your engine running!

Edit- the standard charger is 210 Watts.
Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Ego 56V

I spoke to the OZ? manager for Ego gear this morning, Mr Jason Ellis, about our show and tell day in SE QLD - he advises that the shipment going to Tradetools tomorrow does not include the 20" steel deck or the new multi tool range - that will be another 1-2 weeks - but it's looking good for us - they put one on for Jim's in Sydney and it seems to be something they're willing to do.

I'll keep you all posted anyway but I'd chuck a few more bananas in the Kia's diff in readiness Drew  :P

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationIn Melbourne getting ready for hibernation

Ego 56V

The rapid charger specs say it's rated at 550 Watts and you'd want to use a decent sine wave inverter- not a modified sine wave. So the inverter will draw in excess of 40 Amps on a 12 volt vehicle with your engine running!

On a 12V vehicle 550W equates to 9 headlights on main/high beam (at 60W each) or 10 on dip-beam (at 55W each)!

The standard 210W charger might be a little more achievable, although slower to charge.

https://www.legislat...ils/F2013C00238 (.pdf link)

example of Australian Design Rules (ADRs) for lighting… no wonder some people get it wrong

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Ego 56V

Just did a quick Google on alternator output and got rough figures of 75-90A for older cars (my vintage) and up to 140A for modern cars with catalytic converters and other whizbangery - so it seems my 2003 Hilux "could" run it - just need to wire it to the ignition I guess so it stops when the engine does.

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

You'd need to run heavy duty cables direct from your battery for the rapid charger using Anderson plugs etc. Your inverter is going to be quite big- I've got a 600W Sine wave (1200W surge) and it's not something that is easy to hide or mount.

New vehicles may not like it too much. I know a 2016 Ford I've got has a built in battery management system which controls the charging of the battery (to minimise drag on the engine and improve fuel economy.) It can stop charging the battery when the engine is running and apparently even switches to maximum charge when braking. So systems something along these lines http://www.batterypo...motive-designs/ .

(Buying some more Ego batteries would be easier. Perhaps offer customers a small discount if they let you charge batteries while doing their gardens? ;) )

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Ego 56V

might interest you blokes... https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

Unless you've got the know how (and gear to crimp Anderson plugs, cable lugs etc) it would cost a bit to set up the inverter ie. buying the gear and paying an auto electrician labour. Then you might run into problems with the inverter pulling more current than your alternator can supply- the current ratings posted earlier would be with the engine revs at a reasonable level (not at idle.) Say you get caught in traffic (idling for a while) you might find problems with the vehicle's alternator not coping and your starter battery losing charge. The Ego "slow" charger would be more likely to work (given it's lower power consumption.)

The Ego batteries by themselves are expensive :( unless you need to buy more equipment. It works out a lot better to buy a combined package with battery/ charger included vs all the bits individually. But the problem is most kits only come with the smaller 2.5Ah battery/ "slow" charger.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

I just checked and the AEG 58V 4Ah battery is $269 so that makes the Ego batteries look okay price wise.

I had a quick look at the AEG 58V line trimmer in Bunnings this morning and it didn't appear to be as well made as the Ego Multi tool in areas like the shaft bayonet connection. (I didn't try pulling it apart or anything, just talking aesthetically.)

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ego 56V

I asked EGO if an  extra extension could be fitted without any problems, they said yes. 

Confirmed on the Ego website here as well (in the questions section at the bottom) https://egopowerplus...dge-trimmer-kit

With the addition of the extension pole the Pole Hedge Trimmer is approximately 2.99 metres long. The height that you can cut a hedge will depend on the height of the user and how they hold the unit when cutting. An additional extension pole can be added to extend the unit even further.

(And that's with the much heavier hedge attachment.)

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales