• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic
Mtarno78
Mtarno78

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Starting Out

Hi all. On the verge of quitting my current job and want to make a stat in lawn maintenance etc. Any good tips for starting out. I am not ignorant to the fact it will be a tough gig. I am on the south side of sydney down in the shire.
Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Starting Out

Dont sell yourself short.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Starting Out

Welcome aboard
Heaps of info on the forum to read you'll be busy for weeks☺

But as always get all the legal stuff sorted Abn number, insurance, public liability and all that sort of stuff.

Buy the best equipment you can afford and only buy what you need and as you need it to avoid having a shed full of gear you don't use.

Get all your advertising material sorted and start advertising asap as spring is round the corner.

I'm based in south west Sydney so if you need any help just yell out.

Cheers,
Smokey
Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Starting Out

Anyone can mow a lawn but they get you because. . .

That's up to you,

I'm not the cheapest but I'm reliable and people can trust me.

I ask every new customer "what happened to the last bloke?"
Then you can learn about what's important to the customer, maybe even how much they paid and more.
Some people like to get in get out, I don't mind getting the relationship going, just remember they don't get friends rates.

You're in a customer service job, that mows lawns.
Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Mtarno78
Mtarno78

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Starting Out

Thanks for tips guys. Starting to get the wheels in motion business plan equipment advertising etc. Would you guys recommend a ute starting out ir trailer ?
Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 923 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Starting Out

How about a cheap van? :)
Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Starting Out

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here ha ha

Ive been down the ute and trailer path and i found it a pain for parking in residential areas.

If you think your going to be in the mowing game for the long haul. I would be looking at a tray back or pantec truck they can be picked up cheap at pickles auctions.

This way you have room for all your equipment and heaps of room for greenwaste and rubbish with the added bonus of not needing to tow a trailer.

It's a compact set up and I have no issues of trying to find parking when working in residential areas.

Cheers,
Smokey
Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

Mtarno78
Mtarno78

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Starting Out

Thanks smokey.looking at all option
Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Starting Out

vans and a trailer are good.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Starting Out

I'll be getting a van soon, considered a ute but a van wins for me as I don't collect too much lawn clippings as I try to mulch most lawns.  Trailer is pain for access, parking, hitching on and off each day, added fuel consumption.  I can easily fit all my gear in a van and have enough room for the days clippings.  I will keep my trailer for the occasional cleanup/waste removal job I get but day to day is just the van.   Gear is secure and dry and getting your mower in and out is much easier than a ute.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Starting Out

I'll be getting a van soon, considered a ute but a van wins for me as I don't collect too much lawn clippings as I try to mulch most lawns.  Trailer is pain for access, parking, hitching on and off each day, added fuel consumption.  I can easily fit all my gear in a van and have enough room for the days clippings.  I will keep my trailer for the occasional cleanup/waste removal job I get but day to day is just the van.   Gear is secure and dry and getting your mower in and out is much easier than a ute.

I couldn't agree more, I used to take the trailer every day now its more like once a week for ride on work or garden clean ups.

The van also doubles for a pretty sweet billboard, 

Loven my van. 

Attached Files

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Starting Out

Nice Nathssarah, yep the signage possibilities are great with a van as well.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Starting Out

I couldn't agree more, I used to take the trailer every day now its more like once a week for ride on work or garden clean ups.

Loven my van. 

How have you found the Transit for reliability guys? - I posted elsewhere about issues my mechanic raised about them but I've never owned one -  I'm planning on going back to a van before spring and they offer such a great range of wheelbase/height combos I'd like to include them in my searches at least.

Cheers

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Starting Out

How have you found the Transit for reliability guys? - I posted elsewhere about issues my mechanic raised about them but I've never owned one -  I'm planning on going back to a van before spring and they offer such a great range of wheelbase/height combos I'd like to include them in my searches at least.

Cheers

To be honest mate i have only had it about 3 months, I am more than happy with it so far, My main reason for the transit was its towing capacity, 

It tows 2.5 ton easily, not that i need that regularly but its good to know i can when i do need it. 

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Victoria
  • Business Name:secret

Starting Out

Loven my van. 

Nathnsarah

Neat and tidy looking van!

Attached File  post-2553-0-28928300-1501064122.jpg   74.39KB   2 downloads

…some advice (you will love me for forever) follows-

Get some plastic trim detailer from your local auto parts store

I am currently using Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer but have used a Mothers' trim and plastic restorer as well but prefer the Meguiar's.

Read the directions on the label.

Cut cheap soft kitchen sponges into quarters.

apply a light coating of the goo to front and back bumpers, plastic trims on doors, mirrors, door handles, you will get carried away! using pieces of the sponge.

Do one section at a time.

use more clean bits of the sponge to rub it in using a circular motion.

Buff the residue off with clean rags or microfibre towels.

Wash it the next day with car wash and let it dry.

Repeat the process using as little of the goo as you can (it might take more than one go if the plastic trim is badly degraded) to get the bits you missed or need more attention

Reapply every so often as required.

You owe me a beer.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Starting Out

Nathnsarah

Neat and tidy looking van!

attachicon.gifpost-2553-0-28928300-1501064122.jpg

…some advice (you will love me for forever) follows-

Get some plastic trim detailer from your local auto parts store

I am currently using Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer but have used a Mothers' trim and plastic restorer as well but prefer the Meguiar's.

Read the directions on the label.

Cut cheap soft kitchen sponges into quarters.

apply a light coating of the goo to front and back bumpers, plastic trims on doors, mirrors, door handles, you will get carried away! using pieces of the sponge.

Do one section at a time.

use more clean bits of the sponge to rub it in using a circular motion.

Buff the residue off with clean rags or microfibre towels.

Wash it the next day with car wash and let it dry.

Repeat the process using as little of the goo as you can (it might take more than one go if the plastic trim is badly degraded) to get the bits you missed or need more attention

Reapply every so often as required.

You owe me a beer.

Cheers Grae, I will swing by super cheap auto and grab some today. Thanks for the advice mate. If you ever see the Phoenix van out and about or if your in the northern suburbs hit me up and ill shout a few beers for sure mate ;)

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Starting Out

Cheers Grae, I will swing by super cheap auto and grab some today. Thanks for the advice mate. If you ever see the Phoenix van out and about or if your in the northern suburbs hit me up and ill shout a few beers for sure mate ;)

I'm down on the Mornington Peninsula, we may never meet.

The beer reference was really only me saying the advice was worth spending your time and effort, it will make a big difference to the presentation of the vehicle if the plastics look like I imagined they do from the photo.

Good luck. It might take a couple of goes to get it under control but once the plastic comes up neat it will probably only cost you a couple of minutes every few washes to keep the finish up.

A corporate vehicle with expensive artwork should be washed regularly, after all it is your main and probably only sign.

if you do a quickie wash every weekend, you will still be proud of it when you trade it for the next one.

(I'll let you off the beer surcharge!)

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Starting Out

Yes make sure you buy the meguiars don't use armorall

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Starting Out

Yes make sure you buy the meguiars don't use armorall

agree! not even the same type of goo

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

Mtarno78
Mtarno78

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Starting Out

Hi all. If most lawn maintenance occurs during spring + summer what type of services is best undertaken in the colder months? How do we keep income coming in during winter?
Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales