Isaac an Sammy
Isaac an Sammy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Business Name:Woody's Cuts

How Do You Go About Hiring Someone?

we are looking at hiring someone part time

what do i need to do? I have no idea where to start for the business side of things.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Always start here

http://www.australia.../small-business

If you have an accountant they will charge you to tell you what you can find via Australian Government websites, but if time is precious or you feel out of depth, ask your accountant for pointers.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Isaac an Sammy
Isaac an Sammy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Always start here

http://www.australia.../small-business

If you have an accountant they will charge you to tell you what you can find via Australian Government websites, but if time is precious or you feel out of depth, ask your accountant for pointers.

Thanks i will check it out 

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

https://www.business...loyee-checklist

PAYG 

Superannuation

Workers Compensation

Minimum award rates

Workplace health and safety

Leave Loading

I often wonder at the end of the day after all that and more your business would actually make any more coin.   Suspect a lot would be just paying mates rates cash in hand.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Speak to the relevant people but also look at hiring someone with an ABN. That way you have less liability and less costs.

There should be a govt office to help with business  near you. I cannot think what they are called. They came in handy for when I set up and its a free service. 

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

When it comes to employees…

the smaller they are the better

smaller people means there is a lot less mess to clean up after you jamb them through the wood chipper.

That's right, I forgot you can't afford a wood chipper or find spare time to get anything done because all your time is used up with red tape paperwork, associated bills and stressing about how you are going to get the extra work done because they took another sickie.

Tread carefully. It is a big leap to hire someone.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

Isaac an Sammy
Isaac an Sammy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

When it comes to employees…

the smaller they are the better

smaller people means there is a lot less mess to clean up after you jamb them through the wood chipper.

That's right, I forgot you can't afford a wood chipper or find spare time to get anything done because all your time is used up with red tape paperwork, associated bills and stressing about how you are going to get the extra work done because they took another sickie.

Tread carefully. It is a big leap to hire someone.

Hands down best answer ever, i have a chest freezer and I have a chipper shoot on my mower so i may need to cut them up extra little are all the red tape paper work is done lol :-)

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Pay a accountant get advise the first year may be no gain in money for you but the results can be good, getting the right person is the hardest thing.

Important: You should have written SOP for all jobs you do and all operation manuals for equipment on hand and a do induction witch includes reading them. a day works training and inductions, $200 in PPE safety equipment.

If you employ some one you are responsible for there Health and safety.  pay some cash and you will have no insurance if there is a injury,  you will have big bills and medicare wont pay they will be you debit..  Open A Negligent claim against you and Fines if you dont train and have SOP's 

Business software like MYOB so you can do pays , work out super owing and tax.

Its alot to do but if you can make just $10 a hour extra with a full time employee after all the extra costs, it can be a extra $13,000 a year in your pocket

Dont pay cash you will get caught and why ripe someone off that doesn't know what they are really worth or entitled to.

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Just wondering why you would employ someone as a wage earner and not someone with their own ABN and insurance? 

You could pay them the same and have none of the extra costs and drama.

What am I missing?

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Sub-contractors should have at the least their own tools and preferably contract to more than one client.

Someone with an ABN that only works for you using your tools is an employee, their ABN has no relevance.

Tread carefully (and read between the lines).

Workplace and tax law has been set up over many years to avoid/deter just what Lucky wondered about.

Edit: If it sounds too easy… you can bet lawyers beat you to it.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Bunya Nut
Bunya Nut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Is hiring through a Labour Hire Service any better/easier?

Had a lady from some mob ring me last summer asking if I could use an offsider as they had a good keen young fella looking for work.

She said that they look after the tax, workcover, super, ppe etc.

I wasn't really interested at the time, but things might be different this year.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Is hiring through a Labour Hire Service any better/easier?

Had a lady from some mob ring me last summer asking if I could use an offsider as they had a good keen young fella looking for work.

She said that they look after the tax, workcover, super, ppe etc.

I wasn't really interested at the time, but things might be different this year.

I don't know how that system really works (others here may). I have never tried it, or given them a chance.

always imagined that the marketing company (the Labour Hire Service) needs to make money somewhere (a middle-man always does) so the model would be over charge me, under pay the 'keen bloke'.

​Cynical?, maybe, Realistic, probably.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Bunya Nut
Bunya Nut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Yeah I didn't go into it much.

I was thinking that the company might get some govt subsidy for getting the employees off the dole?

Just not having to worry about all of the extra bs that goes with employing staff would be worth a few bucks/hr. ie paperwork, compo, unfair dismissal laws etc etc.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

a minefield...with little pay dirt

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

For those that have been there, is the first employee the hardest, and obviously different challenges but is a few more easier to balance?
Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Sub-contractors should have at the least their own tools and preferably contract to more than one client.

Someone with an ABN that only works for you using your tools is an employee, their ABN has no relevance.

Tread carefully (and read between the lines).

Workplace and tax law has been set up over many years to avoid/deter just what Lucky wondered about.

Edit: If it sounds too easy… you can bet lawyers beat you to it.

So if I only work for one organisation as a contractor im an employee of that organisation? That doesnt sound right as the organisations I work for want everything dotted (including working with Children checks) and they have never asked if i work for anyone else.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

So if I only work for one organisation as a contractor im an employee of that organisation? That doesnt sound right as the organisations I work for want everything dotted (including working with Children checks) and they have never asked if i work for anyone else.

If you sub contract and get (memory?) 75%+ of your income from 1 source you can draw ato attention. It would be viewed differently if you permanently subbied to a council/govt or to a small business. Like many things, aimed at building and construction industry.

Doesn't mean you can't but might need to go through a few hoops.
Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Isaac an Sammy
Isaac an Sammy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

If you sub contract and get (memory?) 75%+ of your income from 1 source you can draw ato attention. It would be viewed differently if you permanently subbied to a council/govt or to a small business. Like many things, aimed at building and construction industry.

Doesn't mean you can't but might need to go through a few hoops.

I have looked into it and a person who has an abn and if they use our stuff and i tell them what to do and when and how much it is they are actually an employee.... scam contracting they called it. 

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

NZGreen
NZGreen

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Not sure why everyone is  so negative on employees,,,,for me it was the best move I made.It meant, once they are trained up, that I could take holidays, 3 weeks every winter in Bali usually.Have now had 3 employees who I put through an apprenticeship( cert 3 parks and gardens).Took on young guys who had a love for horticulture (a must) trained them up, paid their Super, Workcover etc  and charged them out at double what I pay them .Has worked out very well;first guy stuck with me for 6 years, second and third  guys 5years  and two years, both still working with me.Lightens the work load and no need for income insurance ie if I'm sick or away they keep working.Also can claim 2 ''work vehicles'' so the tax advantages are there also the Government contribution for taking on apprentices helps.Do it if you can.Just find the right people.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Not sure why everyone is  so negative on employees,,,,for me it was the best move I made.It meant, once they are trained up, that I could take holidays, 3 weeks every winter in Bali usually.Have now had 3 employees who I put through an apprenticeship( cert 3 parks and gardens).Took on young guys who had a love for horticulture (a must) trained them up, paid their Super, Workcover etc  and charged them out at double what I pay them .Has worked out very well;first guy stuck with me for 6 years, second and third  guys 5years  and two years, both still working with me.Lightens the work load and no need for income insurance ie if I'm sick or away they keep working.Also can claim 2 ''work vehicles'' so the tax advantages are there also the Government contribution for taking on apprentices helps.Do it if you can.Just find the right people.

Glad its working for you. If you can make it work its a money maker when you have a handle on the red tape and all the entitlements that you have to allow for. Ive never hired anyone but I think its better to go from solo to 2 employees rather than solo and one employee. At least then if they are on 4 weeks leave and your paying leave loading you have someone else to help with the workload. Ditto if they end up with long service leave and are gone for 3 months or their partner has a baby and they have maternity leave (I think guys get that to now don't they??). Big scam here ATM is depression. They go off on sick leave with Depression. Nearly impossible to sack them.

The extra cost of an employee may also be higher here and the tax differences between the two countries may play a part. I claim 2 vehicles for eg and I'm a sole trader.

You climate and mine (I'm in Tasmania) would be very similar id say. Lush thick wet grass (and weeds) and lots of rain days.

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales