Skipp
Skipp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Business Name:Murphy's Lawn

Advice Needed, Owner Interstate.

Ok, so as I'm new to the game, really need some advice on this one,

Went to quote a decent size job today, for a house that has been vacant for 18months and customer is looking for a freshen up before renting out.

I've put a quote together and I will be sending it through shortly, including laying new lawn, mulch, gravel, booking a skip, ( a lot of waste) and it will take at least 2days to get the job done.

The customer is flying back before the job will be done, but there are painters that will still be on site.

Has anyone had experience with this before?

I've told him I need a 20% deposit up front, but that won't even cover materials, and I'm worried about the owner not paying the invoice once the job has been completed and the photos sent.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

skipp
Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Term and Conditions,

that include INTEREST and legal fee to recover any debt

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I take 50% deposit on all landscaping jobs. Garden clean up jobs over $500 also require %50 deposit if client is not there.   

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

+1 - I'd up the deposit so you've at least covered your costs - is there a reason you're a bit sus about the owner? - if it's being let through an agent could you arrange for payment to be lodged with them and then released after the agent has inspected your work? 

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Skipp
Skipp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

No real reason, but as a startup, I don't have a huge amount of money in the bank yet. So it's a reasonable amount t of cash to outlay up front, and it will be harder to chase the guy up if he's in another state.

I've quoted and made a few notes, terms and conditions on the bottom of the quote as you guys suggested.

At the end of the day, I've still got my regulars, this job would just be a bit of a bonus if I get it.

Cheers

Skipp
Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Im surprised as a rental the owner is spending so much on gardens. Mulching, laying lawns etc is usually a waste of time and money

Most landlords like to just get rid of them as the majority of tenants dont garden.

Ive rarely come up against people who wont pay but as others have suggested get a dep before starting to at least cover the materials and skip bin hire. In regard to skip bin hire ive found its a huge waste of money. I do quiet a few rubbish removals etc and just use the trailer after trying a skip a couple of years ago.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Skipp
Skipp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

That's good to know, thanks lucky
Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Lucky is spot on i would guess he is going to sell it.  that is the only time to spend money on a rental garden

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Skipp
Skipp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

It's a young fella that's just bought the place for cheap, he's a painter from Sydney.

It will be up for rent as soon as the garden is cleaned up, or so he tells me.
Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

The owner has asked for laying of new lawn etc etc ? Like Lucky i am a bit surprised he would want to outlay so much. Rather than just a general clean up.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

Skipp
Skipp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

The garden really is terrible, really badly overgrown, i will see if I can upload a photo of the back garden. Any lawn that was there has died from lack of maintenance, there is just a lot of rotten leaves and weeds now. Not sure why they are upside down, they are fine on my iPad lol

Attached Files

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Looks like there is to many trees. Im no gardening expert (im rough as guts) but unless they are gone your new lawn is going to be dead in winter from the leaf drop. Weeds need cutting to dont forget!

Will you be getting a monthly maintenance contract or is it just a one off job?  And yes you should already know this.  ;)

If its a monthly maintenance contract then id be saying "its a waste of your hard earned doing a big make over, let me spend a little time to make it low maintenance for you and the agent and then ill look after it from there at $? per month. That sounds pretty good doesn't it?"

If its not then yea, get as much as you think you can. Its winter.

Ive found skips fill up to fast (especially at night..) and id rather the money for the rental come into my pocket.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

lawnyman101
lawnyman101

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

I've told him I need a 20% deposit up front, but that won't even cover materials

I've been in a similar position several weeks ago where an interstate client requested me to quote a lawn mow and garden yard cleanup.

I sent through the quote and indicated that I would need all the material costs paid upfront as well as 50% of the leftover payment deposited prior to conducting work.

When she questioned my email with her concerns I responded along the lines of "i'm a small to medium local business which operates based on positive word-of-mouth. A deposit on materials is standard with any business and the 50% upfront payment ensures that A) I will complete the job to the standard quoted to ensure I receive full payment and B ) that should communication cease between us then atleast I'm not empty handed." - something along those lines.

Whenever I quote one-off jobs I always include a quote for on going maintenance and have gained several clients from doing so.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Skipp
Skipp

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Nope just a one off, and the quote includes removing weeds, leaf waste. I quoted reasonably high as I didn't really want the job anyway, so I'm not expecting to hear back from him.

There is only two trees, neither are very big, but the leaf waste there has been there for 18months, so quite a bit to take away. It's a 7mx4m area of lawn, not under those trees.

Thanks again guys
Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales