5 replies to this topic
Greenbean
Greenbean

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Advice On Unidentified Plant/grass

Hi All,

I've recently taken on the lawns and gardens at a local fast food restaurant and there are a few area's in the gardens that have been planted with a spongy plant that resembles grass.

Firstly can anyone tell me what the plant is and secondly is there anything that can be done to revive the dead looking bits? 

The store manager has asked me to take it all out but not sure what I'd be up against either. Looks like a mission  :huh:

Cheers

Attached Files

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

A good earner in removing it and replanting the area with a more easily maintained selection of feature plants.

Removal is probably the way to go. I find it is impossible to keep these features (especially when they have been 'let go') presentable with low price, short time, infrequent visits (and glypho is out of the question for weed control).

It will be shallow rooted -  3 or 4 tyne fork and a metal rake should deal with most of it reasonably quickly. I suggest you glypho spray it first and remove/clean it up after die off a few weeks later.

The larger clumps may be a little deeper rooted but ball rooted - lift out by applying a crowbar plunged through the centre and levering from the inside out, a North, East, South, West (3 ,6, 9, 12 o'clock) pattern is usually enough. (in soft sandy loam soil they may just lift with a shovel)

I make note of the river cobble/pebbles in the picture so jab a crowbar into the ground all over the area before you make any decisions to make sure you are not dealing with any overgrown river pebble areas.

…my just guess on what it is or could be

(a quick visit to the stock yards or websites of your local landscaper supply nurseries will be the quickest way to narrow it down)

more than likely a low/no mow Zoysia var. e.g. https://theplanthub....hp?ref=bluedale or similar low mow type.

hard to tell from just a photo and remember a location, area or region should be included with this type of post as that is always a help.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

My guess on the plant would be zoya grass or a casurina ground cover its a bit hard to tell from the photo but im sure someone on here will know for sure

If you do remove them follow greas instructions and you cant go wrong
Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Looks like a Zoysia type to me:-

http://thelawnguide....o-mow-lawn.html

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Zoysia tenuifolia , for sure , should come out easy, but you never know with these types of jobs

I wouldn't try to bring it back it looks to far gone

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

Greenbean
Greenbean

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Cheers for the replies everyone - very much appreciated

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales