14 replies to this topic
lawnorder
lawnorder

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Business Name:Lawn Order

1 Year Down And Going Well!

Well people, our Lawn Order business has been going for just over a year now, and all I can say is WOW! Its amazing how many people cant be bothered to mow their lawns!

I have got a lot of mowers in that year. A Victa commercial (Great machine) with the Vanguard of course. I'm not a fan of Honda mowers by any means (I was tainted by the GCV160 engine and how could Honda EVER put their name to such a poor performing engine!) 

I got a Victa Mastercut (2 stroke) which is an abosulte beauty! For lightweight, throwing around very sloped blocks or lifting through narrow sides of houses! 

Also a Victa Mulchmaster 2 stroke 560 - What an absolute weapon of a machine! Its done everything I asked of it, does a pristine job of lawns and has a 5 litre fuel tank! Which keeps me going most of the day.

Yes! Another VICTA Self Propelled Mulchmaster 560! I scored this one for $650 and its not even 1 year old! Go me! This thing will be a god send this spring/summer! It also has the Vanguard engine, same as the Commercial.

An old orange ugly looking Victa slasher, a great job for slashing! Starts second pull and is a dream to use, scored for a carton of VB (eeww)!

Had a custom built trailer by one of my bestest of friends, suited exactly to the purpose, I done the Chemcert course and the jobs are flowing in non stop! We started this thing as a second job and now we are being overrun with work! Absolutely amazing!

My advice is get in and have a go! Be very nice to your customers, do that little bit more and ask them questions about their life, be interested and get a little personal with them. That ensures a happy customer! 

I learned how to do awesome edging with a whipper snipper on youtube! I am now getting rid of my designated edger because I have mastered edging with the wip.

At the end of the day, people dont care if you are mowing their lawn with an old toe cutter, or a pristine, top of the range (Honda if you must), Victa, they just want their lawn mowed to an acceptable standard. 

All the best,

T

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

Keep the edge cutter

It is impossible to cut straight lines through overgrown edges in tall thick black sticky mud/clay in quick time with a whippy

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

What a great start!..Congrats mate, well done.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

good stuff! nice to see a victa fan....l'd hang on to the edger, this is one i did yesterday that would've taken a week to do with a whippy

Attached File  IMG_20170918_114719_01.JPG   671.95KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170918_151239_01.JPG   631.64KB   0 downloads

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Never ever get rid of the designated driver er edger, like the above mentioned you never ever know till you get there one day and think bugger wish i,d kept that.

If Victa would self propel their Mastercut ( no plans to do so ) i would then have 3, Mulchmaster and Commercial 19''  :)

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Great stuff mate keep up the good work its so rewarding
Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Supernova
Supernova

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVIC

Encouraging to hear great progress in the first year of business. I am wondering if there is often a low point occurring one month in, three months or later?

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

It has been said that the first 3 years in business are the hardest.  :)

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

It has been said that the first 3 years in business are the hardest.  :)

Ive just completed my first year also and I will admit it was very hard. 

The scheduling and keeping positive communication with all clients was the hardest bit. 

Made way more money than expected which is always a bonus.

I was always scared of how I would go during my first winter and I must say with over 40k turn over (for winter alone) I absolutely blew all my expectations out of the water.

Sorry to hijack your post T

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

I was always scared of how I would go during my first winter and I must say with over 40k turn over (for winter alone) I absolutely blew all my expectations out of the water.
T

That is my main worry with starting out, that's a nice sounding turnover for winter. is that with doing other stuff than mowing hedging etc?
Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

That is my main worry with starting out, that's a nice sounding turnover for winter. is that with doing other stuff than mowing hedging etc?

A lot of that comes from garden clean ups, No one wants to weed gardens so I charge huge and a lot of the time they go with it because they are too lazy to get more quotes. 

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

A lot of that comes from garden clean ups, No one wants to weed gardens so I charge huge and a lot of the time they go with it because they are too lazy to get more quotes. 

You can name ur price for hand weeding. No one does it.

My minimum charge for it was $60 an hr but even that was way to cheap. I just say No to it these days except for one customer that I do 2 hrs weeding per month.

I think saying NO to jobs is the hardest thing to learn.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

You can name ur price for hand weeding. No one does it.

My minimum charge for it was $60 an hr but even that was way to cheap. I just say No to it these days except for one customer that I do 2 hrs weeding per month.

I think saying NO to jobs is the hardest thing to learn.

I agree with everything you said.

except I charge $1000 a day labour for garden clean ups + $300 per day per extra worker. (8hr day) and if they don't like it GOOD, I don't have to bust my ass. 

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

SPUDwa
SPUDwa

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Yanchep
  • Business Name:GrassMaster man

hi mate whats the chemcert course

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:56 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

hi mate whats the chemcert course

as an example

http://www.chemcert....s/control-weeds

home page

http://www.chemcert.com.au

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales