jwnlawncare
jwnlawncare

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBurwood, VIC
  • Business Name:JWN Lawn Care & Landscaping

New Lawnie On The Block- Hi

Hey everyone my name is James Nankervis and I am a 15 year old entrepreneur. I run a company called JWN Lawn Care & Landscaping and serve Burwood and surrounding suburbs in Melbourne. I have now been operating for a year and have built up around 20 regular clients who I service either every 2, 3 or 4 weeks. I have been looking through a few forum posts on here and in particular the "how to gain more clients" one and it says avoid neighbours and family at all costs. I for one actually started my business only because a neighbour asked me to mow the lawn at his rental house (which luckily for him was just across the road from ours because he lives next to us and has just finished building his new house there) because he didn't have the time to do it (he is an ex-contractor so he has done most of the work on his new house himself). Jim's 3 -- James 1. After I had been mowing his lawn for a while one of the other neighbours came across and asked if I would mow their lawn too. I said sure and so she dropped the franchise contractor and I started doing her lawn. Jim's 2 -- James 2. Eventually another neighbour across from them came over and asked if I could mow her house too and I said yes so she dropped the same contractor that used to mow the other house as well and hired me. Jim's 1 -- James 3. Now that's not to say that the other bloke was no good, in fact he is very experienced and does a fantastic job I think. I have even managed to speak to him a couple of times and he is a very nice man. I have very good relationships with all the neighbours that I work for, and I also mow my grandparent's lawn on the odd occasion. I survey all my customers every 6 months to ensure that they are satisfied with my work. 

I am running my business mainly because I love what I do but also to pay for flying lessons as I am aspiring to be the Qantas A380 fleet captain when I am older ;D 

I run a Honda HRU216M1, Stihl FS94R and BG56, Gardenline multi-tool and a ton of other equipment for my main tools. Looking forward to learning more about this fantastic industry!

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

Good on ya James, you'll go far (esp if you become a commercial pilot :) )

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Welcome James, feel free to keep updating on your experiences with the Aldi multi tool

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Good onya James  :) 

A380 is a long slog  ;) 

At 15 how do you get around with all your gear?

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

You'll do well mate!, most blokes your age are lazy and wouldn't know what work was :)
Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Hi James, I actually watch your vids, I like how keen and motivated you are, as a young guy its something very rare these days. You will pick up lots of tips from the forum especially from the guys who have been mowing for years and years. One thing I have to tell you is your Honda is an m2. The m1 had the same shaped base as the 216 without the blade brake. The m2 has the rounded base like yours.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Another Arfa ??

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Well done mate keep up the great work i started out the same way as you over 10 years ago and havnt looked back.
Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales