18 replies to this topic
Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Review On The Husqvarna 536Lilx Battery Whipper Snipper

With a lot of talk on here about battery tools recently, I thought I’d throw this out there for anybody interested but can’t decide.

After spending the last couple of months debating the pros and cons of battery gear, and testing a couple of brands, I took the plunge and brought a whipper and a hedge trimmer.

I went for the Husqvarna 536LiLX whipper and the 536LiHD60X hedge trimmer.

Why? Well in the end because they are a well known brand with a good reputation, gear seems well made with good features, local dealer and all round quality product. True it’s probably the most expensive but not by enough to effect my decision. The unit, fast charger and big 5.2amp battery came in at $925 after a bit of a haggle with the dealer.

Anyway, took the whipper out today to test it on the lush long grass consuming the yards in Brisbane ATM.

I was surprised that the 5.2 amp battery lasted 6.5 average sized jobs before dying. I timed each use as best I could and clocked up approximately 76mins of run time on one battery.

It’s very light and quiet compared to my 2 stroke Stihl, don’t know how much it weighs but I’m guessing no more than 4kg with the battery.

The motor runs in both directions, unlike other brands I tested, which I thought was pretty pointless at first but I actually ended up using this feature……because I could!

I wasn’t impressed by the bump feed head or the 2mm supplied cord, the bump feed didn’t work very well (although I’m used to a manual feed) and I also found the line too thin and short, but having said that it still got through the thickest stuff with ease. I may modify it a bit and put a slightly thicker line in it and remove the guard.

It’s marketed as a commercial trimmer but I don’t believe it could cope with every job thrown at it, I wouldn’t want to slash an over grown vacant block or dense scrub with it, but if you are like me and just do a few regular residential lawns a day it seems a good option.

The battery has good power level indicator lights on it and completely recharged in about 50mins.

I will test the hedge trimmer tomorrow.
Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Cheers Steve,

That battery life might be about average for the new brushless whippers - overall I'm very pleased with the Ego - very powerful, runs 2.4mm line, speed feed head, but it does like batteries - typically I get 2 - 3 regularly maintained lawns out of a 2.5AH battery - it's way thirstier than the blower which surprised me a bit - and I use speed 1 and minimal throttle. I bought a 5.0AH battery last week to make sure I get through my days.

I'll be interested to hear how the hedger goes - I'm committed to Ego now so will be buying theirs a bit later - will report then.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Steve i had same issue with the bump feed head at the start.

I use the machine in reverse most of the time (which is anti clock wise) which is not how the head is designed to spit extra cord out.

If you reload the head, winding your line the opposite way to the arrows you will find it will work perfectly.

Cheers 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:15 AM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Steve i had same issue with the bump feed head at the start.

I use the machine in reverse most of the time (which is anti clock wise) which is not how the head is designed to spit extra cord out.

If you reload the head, winding your line the opposite way to the arrows you will find it will work perfectly.

Cheers 

Thanks mate, of course!

One of the reasons I chose this machine over the Ego was because I thought it ran anti clock wise like my other machines. But of course it doesn't either, so I have been using it in reverse too. I wonder why they make them run clockwise?

Do you still use a 2mm cord?  the dealer said it would run  2.4 ok, but then do I even need too?

Cheers Steve

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Thanks mate, of course!

One of the reasons I chose this machine over the Ego was because I thought it ran anti clock wise like my other machines. But of course it doesn't either, so I have been using it in reverse too. I wonder why they make them run clockwise?

Do you still use a 2mm cord?  the dealer said it would run  2.4 ok, but then do I even need too?

Cheers Steve

My Ego runs anti clockwise Steve - (was the Tradetools demo the opposite? can't remember) - the line loads the "correct" way too - I started a thread a while ago after buying a non-genuine speedfeed head for my Honda and it would only load so the line kinked back on itself when working - I'd never used one before  - couldn't reverse the ratchet inside - queried the dealer - asked here - ended up putting in my spares bin - so I was pleased to see the Ego one worked as I would have expected - the bump feed is a bit erratic also tho - might free up with use I guess - have to bump it a few times - might try a genuine one when this one wears out.

If you're just maintaining regulars then the 2mm might be an a advantage - cut a cleaner slot.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

My Ego runs anti clockwise Steve - (was the Tradetools demo the opposite? can't remember) - the line loads the "correct" way too - I started a thread a while ago after buying a non-genuine speedfeed head for my Honda and it would only load so the line kinked back on itself when working - I'd never used one before  - couldn't reverse the ratchet inside - queried the dealer - asked here - ended up putting in my spares bin - so I was pleased to see the Ego one worked as I would have expected - the bump feed is a bit erratic also tho - might free up with use I guess - have to bump it a few times - might try a genuine one when this one wears out.

If you're just maintaining regulars then the 2mm might be an a advantage - cut a cleaner slot.

That's odd Croc, I went into trade tools this week and got them to put a battery in one and it definitely went clockwise, even the guy in the store was surprised.  Who knows maybe it was a dud?

The bump head worked fine today after threading the line around the other way, so all good and thanks to NathnSarah for the tip.

The battery lasted for 6.5 lawns again but only 62 mins of run time. I was much heavier on the throttle today and even did a bit of slashing with it so that would explain the shortened run time.

The 2mm line worked really well on the heavy stuff, maybe because there is less surface area to it and it cuts straight through with less resistance?  Not sure, maybe someone on here can explain the pros and cons of line thickness?

I'm  not sure it is as powerful as the Ego I tried at the demo but its more than enough for my purposes.

As for the hedge trimmer, it was almost a pleasure to use and I nearly enjoyed it (I can see John22 raising his eyebrows).

Well as much as you can enjoyed hedge trimming anyway.  So quiet and no fumes in your face, I could smell the hedge as I trimmed it.  I'm sure the Ego would be as good.

The weight is comparable to my Tanaka 210 and a little bit heavier than my Stihl HS45 but not a problem.

I trimmed a smallish overgrown hedge that usually takes me about 30 mins in 19 mins. Maybe because it is longer so trimmed more with each movement. 

Overall very pleased with the battery gear, need to start saving for the blower next, I won't be going back to 2 stroke anytime soon.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Croc are you using the multitool as a whipper?

Seems they do run anti clock wise but the stand alone whipper runs clockwise, from what I can find out.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Seems they do run anti clock wise but the stand alone whipper runs clockwise, from what I can find out.

AHA! - yes I bought the multi tool, whipper, blade edger, pole hedger and trimming saw. That's a strange decision from Ego for sure.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

The 2mm line worked really well on the heavy stuff, maybe because there is less surface area to it and it cuts straight through with less resistance?  Not sure, maybe someone on here can explain the pros and cons of line thickness?

I'm sure someone's done a PhD on whipper string somewhere - I've always gone with 2.4 for regular jobs and 2.7 for heavier work - but you need a whipper with the grunt to drive the thicker string and heavier head (my 35cc Honda has a bigger head and I've run 3.0 in it on occasion) the heavier string I assume has greater "whackability" on tuft grasses and woodier weeds and probably doesn't wear as fast - but the 2.0 as you say should cut better on regular turf but probably wear faster - the Ego came with a red twisted 2.4 string I was pretty impressed with - didn't wear down to a sliver at the end but maintained thickness and mass almost out to the end - been meaning to look it up.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one thread here on string but the search function is a pain.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Found one:-

http://lawnclub.com....tring#entry3224

and this like the line supplied:-

https://www.ebay.com...G-/171041435157

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

100%.

I have both but only use the multi tool whippy. 

The dedicated whippy running clockwise & with a high profile bump feed doesn't cut it for me, (pardon the pun).

You can change to a low profile bump feed but still only clockwise.

I read on a USA site that you can switch the wiring to make it run anti clockwise, I don't know if this is correct ?

I think I'll try this at some stage in the future, if I don't, I can't see the machine getting any further use, which is a shame.

I also have been pretty impressed with the 2.4mm twisted line, where do we get more ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Thanks mate, of course!

Cheers Steve

Hey mate I have only ever run 2.65mm line in mine. Absolutely love it. 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

I also have been pretty impressed with the 2.4mm twisted line, where do we get more ?

Cheers Fred.

I've been meaning to catch up with the Ego rep who put on the demo day up here - I'm on a weeks holiday from tomorrow but I'll run it past him to find out when I get back - it looks like Razor brand twisted line you can see on eBay.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

The rotation of the dc motor can easily be changed by reversing the polarity at the motors input Fred.
Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

The rotation of the dc motor can easily be changed by reversing the polarity at the motors input Fred.

Any issues with the cut on head gears do you reckon John?

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,044 posts

I wouldn't think so, but that's an Arfa mod I've never done before. :)
Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Thanx John, did a little more research which suggests that may not be poss as its a brushless motor ?

Im certainly no electrical guru !

Cheers Fred.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

It is just Physics, it takes less work to spin a tooth pick < bamboo skewer < chop stick < AFL goal post than it does to spin a multi storey building

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

I am overly optimistic, I am 3/4 full of beer again!

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,044 posts

Looks like you have to reverse the current on the stator windings to alter rotation??.
Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales