28 replies to this topic
plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

How Do You Structure Your Day?

I'm doing about 7-8 mows a day (winter excluded), average mow 40 mins.  I find this number managable without it killing me.  I'm just curious to hear how others structure their day- do you start early and try to smash them all out by lunch time, just work through the whole day like a machine, or something else?

I find I can do about 4-5 lawns before I start feeling it so with that in mind and to avoid the heat of the day I find what works for me is start early, smash out 4 jobs and be back home by 11am or so, take it easy for a few hours then out again mid afternoon to do another 3 or 4.   

Another thing I have learned is go slow, especially on those 30C+ days.  I used to think I had to work fast, to get the most profit per hour, but that was just burning me out.  Slowing down and spending an extra 5-10mins on a job makes the world of difference and also results in a better quality job.  It may mean one less mow a day I'm doing but I think it's better than burning out.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:47 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Being an older town most of my jobs are around the hr mark as the blocks are larger.

I don't have a set start time but I try to be at my first job somewhere between 9 and 10 and be home between 1 and 2. Im happy to do 4 avg sized jobs 3 or 4 days a week with the large jobs (unit complexes for eg) on their own day.

I do a run to a town 15 min away from me ever 3rd week and its gotten a bit silly as I'm doing 5 largish lawns there now (1 hr to 1 3/4hrs) and it buggers me in the growing season. I wont be taking on any more work there.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

bakes
bakes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

I go out with the plan to cruise along, start around 7,30ish, have my planned route all set and ready to go with 8 to 10 jobs, when a plan goes well, it goes really well and I'm around 2ish, machines fuelled checked over and ready to go again.

But this time of year with the accelerated growing it slows you down a bit so I don't finish until 4ish, then the odd off the street job comes along, but they pay well and in cash. So like yesterday I didn't finish until just before 6pm

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

I tend to putt along during the day and get through my schedule no point killing myself

When doing resi lawns ill start around 7.30 and try to finish around 3 or 4 and organise the truck and machines for the next day but that dosent always happen.

the commercial side of thing is a little diffrent they tend to be 12 hr days and early starts depending on the job.

We try and knock off early on a friday and have the weekends off but it dosent always happen during peak times.
Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Avoid traffic time!
Start the day hopefully with 1 or 2 really close to home then a loop in today's direction and maybe finish with one close to home.
Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

First day of the week try and smash out as much as possibility, Roster setup for  4 days to account for weather.

Try to do all harder SP mower jobs at the beginning of the day,  Then have a half hour break and in the afternn go onto easy/Rideon jobs.

Be 100% focused and efficient.  Have the mind set to GO,  edge &  Mow in the highest gear possible, don't waste time or energy   I don't wear Radio Ear muffs they slow you down, paid to work not listen to music.  I listen to music late in the week on ride on jobs once the roster is under control and im on lazy day before the weekend

50 a week.   18 day 1, 12 day 2,. 10 and 10

Obviously peak growth time are different   14 , 12, 12, 12,

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

I had to have a Bex and a lie down after reading your schedule Macka  :D

I've never liked stopping for a lunch break - still don't - found it real hard to get going again - I just take Muesli bars, boiled eggs, fruit or similar compact foods and eat them between jobs.

When I started back doing this work I used to beat myself up over how long it was taking me/not making the big bucks etc - and then I realised I wasn't enjoying it - and if I wanted to be unhappy I might as well go back to IT - so now I take as long as the job takes - forget about the stopwatch - especially now Bisvegas is in humid summer mode - funnily enough since I bought the battery gear I'm finding a slight speed increase over the day.

pace yourself and enjoy being self employed I reckon.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

well this is how my son structures his day .....stay up really late playing computer games with his mates and smoking funny cigarettes , struggle out of bed at 9 or 10 slowly load up ute ...forget his catcher and drive back home ....do three or four jobs ....stop off at maccas ....go home .....complain about the heat ......repeat........

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

funny Surfishly

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

well this is how my son structures his day .....stay up really late playing computer games with his mates and smoking funny cigarettes , struggle out of bed at 9 or 10 slowly load up ute ...forget his catcher and drive back home ....do three or four jobs ....stop off at maccas ....go home .....complain about the heat ......repeat........

and whats wrong with that? ya only young once.

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

and whats wrong with that? ya only young once.

Yo got to lively up yoself and don't be no drag!

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Yo got to lively up yoself and don't be no drag!

Your only old once!

Work gets in the way of life. Work to live not live to work.

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Your only old once!

They say youth is wasted on the young - I'm loving what I do now - just wish I still had my 25 year old unbreakable body! - thank god for Glucosamine (and Metamucil  :blink:)

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

At least he does actually start the day Surfi - in younger days I shared a unit with a mate also a contractor (separate businesses)- he REALLY enjoyed the funny cigs - so many days he'd start with good intentions, a pot of tea and the bong, only to decide to let things slide till tomorrow - some of the messages on our answering machine from let down customers were truly heartbreaking  :lol:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

I had to have a Bex and a lie down after reading your schedule Macka  :D

I've never liked stopping for a lunch break - still don't - found it real hard to get going again - I just take Muesli bars, boiled eggs, fruit or similar compact foods and eat them between jobs.

When I started back doing this work I used to beat myself up over how long it was taking me/not making the big bucks etc - and then I realised I wasn't enjoying it - and if I wanted to be unhappy I might as well go back to IT - so now I take as long as the job takes - forget about the stopwatch - especially now Bisvegas is in humid summer mode - funnily enough since I bought the battery gear I'm finding a slight speed increase over the day.

pace yourself and enjoy being self employed I reckon.

spot on

Your only old once!

Ed Zachary

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

At least he does actually start the day Surfi - in younger days I shared a unit with a mate also a contractor (separate businesses)- he REALLY enjoyed the funny cigs - so many days he'd start with good intentions, a pot of tea and the bong, only to decide to let things slide till tomorrow - some of the messages on our answering machine from let down customers were truly heartbreaking  :lol:

Knew a guy who started everyday with a small bottle of Johnny Walker red and no probs either. Course today he,d blow the bag.
After Tracy i did tree pruning for a council in Vic the crew boss knew all the italian ladies and by lunch (after the pub) he was useless and someone else had to drive the old Bedford back to the depot.

Those were the days ;)

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

Lols he is a good lad most days he works pretty hard . Helped him out the other day in 31 degrees for four hours of hedging nearly killed me
Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Lols he is a good lad most days he works pretty hard . Helped him out the other day in 31 degrees for four hours of hedging nearly killed me

Ah yes working in the cool is always good not so much the hedging.  ;)

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Working in that heat always makes the rum taste better at the end of the day
Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

..forget his catcher and drive back home ....

LOL,

guilty!  did it this morning, I didn't get all the way to the job though

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

I am overly optimistic, I am 3/4 full of beer again!

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales