zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Dangers Of Working Along Roadsides-A Near Miss Today

Well it had to happen sooner or later,I have often wondered about this and suspect others here have had same go through their minds...

Working with our mowers/hedgers/whipper snippers along a busy road way and a car goes out of control and heads to YOU! this what happened to me today. A red car reversing out of an angle park on a very busy road-tried to do a U turn and poor bloke coming up road had no where to go-crash,but after that the red car appears to have busted all brakes and acceleration cables-engine goes mental and really takes off FAST and heads across the other lane in my direction where i had just been working on the hedge... Was very scary-no one badly hurt- (mu under pants in pre soaker). A few minutes or a few meters-that is where I was standing back to road hedging with loud machine. Not sure how to manage this aspect of work place safety.

Attached Files

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Happened in front of the right spot...

Glad ur OK.

I mow a lawn for a client who's last lawn mower man died in the back yard. She found him when she got home from work..

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Glad you are ok Chris, I got hit on the ride on many years ago working at the Goodyear at Kedron. Elderly man reversing hit the accelerator instead of the brakes. You can only manage it by being alert, difficult when your working but what you have to do.
Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

bakes
bakes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Very fortunate you had just moved, I guess its the dangers of commercial jobs, as compared to domestic one.

As Lucky said, you were at the right location.

Glad you are OK

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Wow what a close call good news that every one is ok
Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Nokman
Nokman

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast New South Wales

Yeah close call mate. I got hit by an old fella on one of those battery powered scooters. He ran right into me and it scared the s@#t out me at the time. I now watch for him when I do this job as he appears at just after 7am to scoot up the road to buy his darts. I'm on to him now.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales