17 replies to this topic
surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

Fussy Customer

got this new customer and he is super fussy and specific down to how high and wide his hedges need to be by the cm the scope of work list is a page long , job takes a few hours and seems to be lots of little tasks - trouble is he never seems happy 3rd visit now and i am still getting long emails with adusted scope etc - $80 for a few hours -not sure whether this is worth the stress ??? should i ditch him and look for the happy easy going guys?

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Fussy Customer

Always difficult if you're starting out but yes, IMHO, dump him and move on.

I did 2 quotes on overgrown yards last saturday - got both jobs - first one the lady is calling out through the window "Cut it lower!", wants to haggle on price, gets vague when we talk about regularity of future visits, after the job she walks around the yard saying "this is not cut very low" - I lost my cool, said "I'll leave it with you Rita but if you leave it longer than 3 weeks before calling me the quote doesn't apply and you pay the cleanup rate again" - I won't hear from her again.

Second one just chalk and cheese, happy to see me, happy with the job, happy to let me set cut frequency, and paid me $10 more than I quoted.

Life's too short for cr@p clients.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Fussy Customer

Always difficult if you're starting out but yes, IMHO, dump him and move on.

Life's too short for cr@p clients.

Yep nothing more to say  ;)

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Fussy Customer

Yep, that exercise was a big reminder for me - all the signs were there and obvious that she was a cr@p client before I even started the mower - I don't do cleanups unless they say they'll be ongoing clients - she dodged and weaved on that - red flag!.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Business Name:Groundworks Property Care

Fussy Customer

$80 for a few hours, or $80/hr for a few hours?
Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Fussy Customer

Customers like that cause unnecessary stress and make you dislike your job. I’ve had so many of those idiots over the years I can tell by their mannerism when they make the first enquiry that it will be trouble. Better to get rid of them and move on to something better. As for anyone that says cut lower, I never go back they are always problematic.
Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Fussy Customer

Yep, all the above.
You can please some of the ppl some of the time but, u cant please all of the ppl all of the time.
Aim is to please most of the ppl most of the time !

If youre getting payed what u want, try & smooth it over.
She might come around ?
If its not worth it to u after trying, move on.

Cheers Fred.
Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Fussy Customer

Life's too short for cr@p clients​     Croc maybe we should get a few shirts done with this printed on them, the lawnies slogan

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Fussy Customer

what everyone else has said.

And ill add. Don't work for anything less than $40 an hr. In fact id say not less than $60 to be profitable.

The odd fill in jobs at $40 is ok but the bulk of ya work has to be at $60 or more or you will go broke or have to work stupid hrs.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Fussy Customer

I tell them straight out, whoever has been cutting this has been doing it too short, that's why it is all weeds and no lawn.

I may not be able to control the clients expected cutting frequency but I rule the mower height settings, never let the client have a say in it.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

I am overly optimistic, I am 3/4 full of beer again!

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Fussy Customer

yeah son is scheduled next week for fussy guy lets see  -- more whinging and we will flick him -as for the $60 ph i wish! most clients in south brisbane lucky if you get more than $50 for a lawn and the line is always "the old guy used to do it for $40 ..." sheesh wheres the old guy nowww?-business is getting better but still struggle to win quotes based on $60 ph -maybe we should move down south lol

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Fussy Customer

Starting up is hard I know - and it seems like there's a HELL of a lot of people in Brisbane now with a mower in the back of the ute - makes it a hard sell to get a fair price I know -

IMHO you have to differentiate yourself from the sh!tkickers only doing it until they get a real job - the way I do it is to emphasise reliability and honesty - I take my National Police Check form and a copy of my AAMI Public Liability policy to all quotes now - stress to them that I'm running a business for the long term and don't care about payment method - no better price for cash, nudge nudge wink wink - I think that way you have a chance of getting better long term clients at a fair price - but yeah starting out you do what you have to do - many times in the past I mowed for 3 hours for 100 bucks or so.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Fussy Customer

yeah son is scheduled next week for fussy guy lets see  -- more whinging and we will flick him -as for the $60 ph i wish! most clients in south brisbane lucky if you get more than $50 for a lawn and the line is always "the old guy used to do it for $40 ..." sheesh wheres the old guy nowww?-business is getting better but still struggle to win quotes based on $60 ph -maybe we should move down south lol

get the jobs based at $40 a hour until you roster is full.  You will be be surprised be more efficient and you can do them in 40 minutes, it takes alot of changes and practice to take time of mowing. 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Fussy Customer

Life's too short for cr@p clients​     Croc maybe we should get a few shirts done with this printed on them, the lawnies slogan

LOL, yep it would let people know how to behave!

We used to have:-

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" written on the whiteboard at my old workplace - until we were directed to rub it off - but it got the message across for a while.  :)

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Fussy Customer

Are we getting 60/hour mixed up with 60/lawn? A lawn at $50 can easily be worked to 80-100 per hour. :)

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Business Name:Groundworks Property Care

Fussy Customer

Are we getting 60/hour mixed up with 60/lawn? A lawn at $50 can easily be worked to 80-100 per hour. :)

Correct, and 80/hr should be your min rate rate. If you are a business and not a bob that is.

"Last bloke did it for 40/hr"
Where's he now?
"He's not doing it anymore he got a fulltime job instead".

So charge what you want but there are plenty of us achieving 80-100/hr+, all across the country.
Dont quote a rate, quote the job. 80 for a few hours work couldn't possibly cover your expenses and give you any kind of decent wage, could it?

And finally as everyone else has said, decline any further work from this tool.

Trev
Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Fussy Customer

Hang on, you get long emails from him??

No no no no, they must be included in that guys work time. You nearly always drop the customer not the job.

The thing I often think when quoting, or someone is shitting me is "what if every job was like this?". And that usually guides what happens next
Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Fussy Customer

good advice guys appreciate it -next email will be the test -more complaints and he can find a large landscaping company who will probably charge him 3x

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales