68 replies to this topic
Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Average Mow Time And $ P/h

Hi Colsy,
With all your nursery and gardening experience you gained, plus you were a part of middle management team. You are a smart cookie; I couldn't understand why you can't start your own business, with the skills and management under your belt. Are you relying on leads for Jim's to get by? Or don't have the confidence to go out by yourself?

I don't have as much experience as yourself, I mowed lawns at home, and I started a business and we already have 3-4 regulars and no $11 lead fee or monthly franchise fees of $600. The reason why a franchise charge higher, is that they have to cover their fees. Take away all the costs in your first year; you most likely be making under $60 per hour? Any lead fee that comes in that doesn't mean guarantee work, and you have to pay that. Your $60ish per hour, minus $11 lead fee if it's work or not, plus $600 per month. 

Wouldn't you be better of doing it yourself with all the experience and management skills? We all make our own decisions.

I've got no dog in this fight, but seriously? You've got 3 clients and want to start giving business management advice after being here a week.

Maybe focus on your own business for a while mate.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Hi Colsy,
With all your nursery and gardening experience you gained, plus you were a part of middle management team. You are a smart cookie; I couldn't understand why you can't start your own business, with the skills and management under your belt. Are you relying on leads for Jim's to get by? Or don't have the confidence to go out by yourself?

I don't have as much experience as yourself, I mowed lawns at home, and I started a business and we already have 3-4 regulars and no $11 lead fee or monthly franchise fees of $600. The reason why a franchise charge higher, is that they have to cover their fees. Take away all the costs in your first year; you most likely be making under $60 per hour? Any lead fee that comes in that doesn't mean guarantee work, and you have to pay that. Your $60ish per hour, minus $11 lead fee if it's work or not, plus $600 per month. 

Wouldn't you be better of doing it yourself with all the experience and management skills? We all make our own decisions.

Yes I hear you on that and these are sensible and valid questions.

I guess I really put my trust into working for a brand that already was generating money rather than building it myself. I guess you could interpret it as a lack of confidence but I only ever felt that I wanted to be a Jim. It wasnt a baseless idea as my brother has been one for years so I knew what I was getting into. I guess had I been a bit younger I may have taken more risk and gone Indy, I am 50.

The sums you have made are based on thinking that I charge the same as an independant. As mentioned in a previous post I turned over $9000 in December, averaging only 30 hours a week. Yes take away the fees etc. But I believe I would not have generated anywhere near that being an independant only recently starting. Thats just my belief, be it true or not. I believe the brand itself generates enough income to more than cover the fees. Its not just the leads that get you the business. Its the brand and your personal approach.......just like any other lawn business.

I am neither pro or con Jims......I love it personally but I equally support the idea of being independant. It just wasn't the road I chose to take. Having said that, as I approach retirement and decide to possibly work a lot less hours I do see a time when I will possibly quit Jims and go Indy. 

In summary I am extremely happy with my choice. I completely understand my Profit & Loss and it completely stacks up against being Indy........FOR ME. Its not for everyone, and anyone that thinks there is some big conspiracy going on is completely wrong. I am not here to convince anyone to join Jims. In fact I do suggest for younger guys with a bit more time up their sleeve then go Indy for sure.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Yes I hear you on that and these are sensible and valid questions.

I guess I really put my trust into working for a brand that already was generating money rather than building it myself. I guess you could interpret it as a lack of confidence but I only ever felt that I wanted to be a Jim. It wasnt a baseless idea as my brother has been one for years so I knew what I was getting into. I guess had I been a bit younger I may have taken more risk and gone Indy, I am 50.

The sums you have made are based on thinking that I charge the same as an independant. As mentioned in a previous post I turned over $9000 in December, averaging only 30 hours a week. Yes take away the fees etc. But I believe I would not have generated anywhere near that being an independant only recently starting. Thats just my belief, be it true or not. I believe the brand itself generates enough income to more than cover the fees. Its not just the leads that get you the business. Its the brand and your personal approach.......just like any other lawn business.

I am neither pro or con Jims......I love it personally but I equally support the idea of being independant. It just wasn't the road I chose to take. Having said that, as I approach retirement and decide to possibly work a lot less hours I do see a time when I will possibly quit Jims and go Indy. 

In summary I am extremely happy with my choice. I completely understand my Profit & Loss and it completely stacks up against being Indy........FOR ME. Its not for everyone, and anyone that thinks there is some big conspiracy going on is completely wrong. I am not here to convince anyone to join Jims. In fact I do suggest for younger guys with a bit more time up their sleeve then go Indy for sure.

- Thanks for that. I am only asking, good info. Jim's is great for anyone like yourself, I love seeing people succeed. All the best.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I've got no dog in this fight, but seriously? You've got 3 clients and want to start giving business management advice after being here a week.

I am not telling how to run your business, I am just curious and only asking a question mate, I can say and ask what I pleased. I only doing this part-time, I am not giving any advice, just a question mate. I run other businesses, this is a part-time gig until we can take on full-time work. I will let you know how I go within few more months :), maybe I have more dog #### to fight on. 

I fly drone and earned $400 per hour,  plus $80 editing and $60 per hour traveling - http://www.aerialphotographypro.com.au, so long term bout in the lawn mowing is not my goal, my goal is to build this lawn care thing up and learn, and expand to see where else I can take this.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

The sums you have made are based on thinking that I charge the same as an independant. As mentioned in a previous post I turned over $9000 in December, averaging only 30 hours a week. Yes take away the fees etc. But I believe I would not have generated anywhere near that being an independant only recently starting. 

I started independent 12 months ago and I turned over $9k in both Nov and Dec, this month should be over $10k.  That's working about 30-35 hours a week   Yes it took me a year to reach this point but I'm so glad I'm not losing a chunk of my hard work to go into the pockets of a franchise.  I'm basically at capacity and I'm turning away most work now so I don't need to advertise any more but I'm getting about 1-2 calls a day on average.  Now in the phase of culling poor customers and replacing with good ones.

If you find decent area to work in I'm convinced there is no need to join the franchise model in this business.  The only advantage I can see is it giving you a quicker startup, but once your books are full of customers you are just losing money in franchise fees for no benefit.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

I started independent 12 months ago and I turned over $9k in both Nov and Dec, this month should be over $10k.  That's working about 30-35 hours a week   Yes it took me a year to reach this point but I'm so glad I'm not losing a chunk of my hard work to go into the pockets of a franchise.  I'm basically at capacity and I'm turning away most work now so I don't need to advertise any more but I'm getting about 1-2 calls a day on average.  Now in the phase of culling poor customers and replacing with good ones.

If you find decent area to work in I'm convinced there is no need to join the franchise model in this business.  The only advantage I can see is it giving you a quicker startup, but once your books are full of customers you are just losing money in franchise fees for no benefit.

I will agree with that, it does provide quicker start up. And yes if you are absolutely full there is probably no advantage. But the big secret is you can actually walk out of Jims at anytime.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Robo
Robo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I will agree with that, it does provide quicker start up. And yes if you are absolutely full there is probably no advantage. But the big secret is you can actually walk out of Jims at anytime.

But when you walk out can you go straight in being Indy or do you have to wait a certain amount of time ? 

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I am not telling how to run your business, I am just curious and only asking a question mate, I can say and ask what I pleased. I only doing this part-time, I am not giving any advice, just a question mate. I run other businesses, this is a part-time gig until we can take on full-time work. I will let you know how I go within few more months :), maybe I have more dog #### to fight on. 
I fly drone and earned $400 per hour,  plus $80 editing and $60 per hour traveling - http://www.aerialphotographypro.com.au, so long term bout in the lawn mowing is not my goal, my goal is to build this lawn care thing up and learn, and expand to see where else I can take this.

Fair call mate, apologies.
Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

But when you walk out can you go straight in being Indy or do you have to wait a certain amount of time ?

Depends on the wording in the contract, the franchise masters are finding new ways to recruit the vulnerable. When one fails another takes over.
Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

12 months before you can do the same work in the same area.  

At least it was back 2009.

Maybe Colsy can check his contract.

They like to resell the territory and get someone else established first.

I know because I was with Jims for 5 years and left for a career change that failed.

Luckily 12 months had passed, so I was able to start again as an indie without treading on the new Jim's toes.

Everything Plucka said was true for me too, although I didn't earn quite that much.  But was up and running pretty quickly.

I feel I can be the best judge here as I have been both, Jim's for 5 years and an indie for 9.

To be honest there is no difference between being with Jim's or not.

In the summer there is too much work and in the winter there is not enough (in Brisbane anyway).

The only difference is the fees and wether you have the ability to market yourself or not.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

No, out you go...taking the customers with you. Alternatively you sell your customers as a round within the Jims group. All depends if you are happy to recoup your investment and start again or if you want to stay with your customers. I'm more attracted to the latter.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

12 months before you can do the same work in the same area.  

At least it was back 2009.

Maybe Colsy can check his contract.

They like to resell the territory and get someone else established first.

I know because I was with Jims for 5 years and left for a career change that failed.

Luckily 12 months had passed, so I was able to start again as an indie without treading on the new Jim's toes.

Everything Plucka said was true for me too, although I didn't earn quite that much.  But was up and running pretty quickly.

I feel I can be the best judge here as I have been both, Jim's for 5 years and an indie for 9.

To be honest there is no difference between being with Jim's or not.

In the summer there is too much work and in the winter there is not enough (in Brisbane anyway).

The only difference is the fees and wether you have the ability to market yourself or not.

Most sensible thing I have read yet on the subject of Jims. 

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

No, out you go...taking the customers with you. Alternatively you sell your customers as a round within the Jims group. All depends if you are happy to recoup your investment and start again or if you want to stay with your customers. I'm more attracted to the latter.

So to confirm, you can leave with all your customers and rename yourself Steve's mowing or something straight away?

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Plucka's comment about finding a decent area to work in is well worth repeating IMHO - (not trying in any way to detract from your success Plucka - your story is inspirational) -

I grew up in St Lucia near you and my first spell of mowing took place there and Toowong/Indooroopilly/Chapel Hill/Kenmore - and it was perfect - the people by and large were very well off and liked a well maintained property - when I first moved out to Sunnybank 25 years ago it was pretty much the same type of place - and when I mowed around 2001-2006 I had a good business very quickly - but I then worked in another industry till 2015 and the whole character here changed - now a garden is a place to grow food and a lawn is a frickin nuisance for a large percentage of residents.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads this summer - thought about buying a run back in my old home turf - but I'll try seeking out the pockets of "old" Sunnybank still left and leaflet dropping them after I finish culling the duds - I enjoy this life for the most part and can't imagine reinventing myself as a 63 year old (but I still have my installation disks of Dos 6.x if anyone needs support :lol: )

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Lol Croc Dos 6.x is still on Noah’s Ark. :)
Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Sunny bank...is that like Sunny Vale...?..

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Plucka's comment about finding a decent area to work in is worth repeating IMHO - (not trying in any way to detract from your success Plucka - your story is inspirational) -

I grew up in St Lucia near you and my first spell of mowing took place there and Toowong/Indooroopilly/Chapel Hill/Kenmore - and it was perfect - the people by and large were very well off and liked a well maintained property - when I first moved out to Sunnybank 25 years ago it was pretty much the same type of place - and when I mowed around 2001-2006 I had a good business very quickly - but I then worked in another industry till 2015 and the whole character here changed - now a garden is a place to grow food and a lawn is a frickin nuisance for a large percentage of residents.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads this summer - thought about buying a run back in my old home turf - but I'll try seeking out the pockets of "old" Sunnybank still left and leaflet dropping them after I finish culling the duds - I enjoy this life for the most part and can't imagine reinventing myself as a 63 year old (I still have my installation disks of Dos 6.x if anyone needs support.

What's the old saying? 

Location Location Location.

There is work everywhere, but what kind is a different question.

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

I think Noah is running 5.1 John - I'll see if he wants to upgrade  :)

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Sunny bank...is that like Sunny Vale...?..

Had to Google that one - you mean like "Housos"? - they're not bogans - just a new wave of residents with different priorities and shorter arms and longer pockets  ;)

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

What's the old saying? 

Location Location Location.

There is work everywhere, but what kind is a different question.

Yeah Steve, I recall someone posting on here quite a while ago about how hard he was finding it starting up and making a buck around Ipswich - it would definitely pay anyone starting out to do a bit of research on their preferred areas of operation.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales