drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Gday From Melbourne

How much is the monthly franchise fee? Im guessing you also have to wear their uniform (and pay for) to?

I heard VIP is like $600 a month down here. They seem to go through operator after operator.

This one  :-)

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Gday From Melbourne

This one  :-)

yep that one.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Gday From Melbourne

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Gday From Melbourne

Great clip Mark! - thankyou - I've let myself be haggled down and it just gets the business relationship off on a bad footing - I don't like haggling and don't load my quotes to allow for someone to feel like they're getting me cheaper - so when I back down and drop 5 bucks he's dead right, it's bad for your "Quoting mojo" - so the price is the price from now on.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gday From Melbourne

Great clip Mark! - thankyou - I've let myself be haggled down and it just gets the business relationship off on a bad footing - I don't like haggling and don't load my quotes to allow for someone to feel like they're getting me cheaper - so when I back down and drop 5 bucks he's dead right, it's bad for your "Quoting mojo" - so the price is the price from now on.

Learn to say 'No".

Can you catch it? NO.

Can you cut lower? NO

Can you do it today? NO.

Can you do it any cheaper? NO.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gday From Melbourne

90 plus reg customers?

These guys work to hard.

he keeps saying over and over again to "have your leads on" I bet they pay for leads and not a successful quote.

Why buy a business to keep only one of the clients?  That's like buying a café and then relocating it.

Ive seen lots, like bloody lots, of sales vids over the years and this is just another one of those. Interesting that its all about landscaping...

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Gday From Melbourne

Learn to say 'No".

Can you catch it? NO.

Can you cut lower? NO

Can you do it today? NO.

Can you do it any cheaper? NO.

LOL yep - except:-

Can I pay you in cash? YES

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gday From Melbourne

LOL yep - except:-

Can I pay you in cash? YES

Cash is king! Long live the King!

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Locationpacking up and retiring to Tassie

Gday From Melbourne

wow, I hate cash!

I discourage it

gotta cart it to the bank

almost useless except for parking meters and change for older people that want to leave it in the box

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Locationpacking up and retiring to Tassie

Gday From Melbourne

and absolutely no audit trail

I left it in the box

it wasn't there

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Gday From Melbourne

^^ Thats always a possibility 

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:36 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Gday From Melbourne

I like cash - not had a problem with it going missing yet but accept it's a possibility - I have had some strange looks recently using it tho - paid for all the Ego gear at Trade Tools in cash - the fellow looked a bit surprised expecting me to use Paywave or Buttf#ck or whatever it's called I guess

But having said that the proportion of people paying me in cash has dropped quite a lot in the last year - need to get me some more wrinklies  :lol:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Gday From Melbourne

Its a great clip and was one of the ones that helped me make the decisions to join up. David Wood is a genuine operator and I have met him. His quoting approach is my quoting approach.

Crocster, I just stick to my price. Every lawn I quote is based on my home lawn which is a $60 mow at about 40 mins of work and then I add unpacking and set up etc. So really an hour. So if I see a lawn bigger than mine, I charge more. If its very long I charge double, if its stupidly long I charge triple and more. Everything else, hedging, weeding etc I charge above $100 an hour. If I ever find myself not being able to get a price into my head and I am in doubt, I add at least 50%. If ever I start getting into the $500 area I instantly make it over $600 and plan to spend the day there, if I dont spend the day there then thats great.....and if I do well its a nice rate for a days work. When I say a day I mean around 6 hours.

I never ever discuss hourly rates with customers, I only did it once with a customer that didnt knpw exaclty what they wanted but they wanted a gardener on hand for about 4 hours, so I told them I would charge them $90 an hour and that would cover mowing and any other stuff they may want.

I never ever tell them how long it will take, may give a vague idea but never exact, when they ask that they are basically asking you your hourly rate.

I do not care if they dont accept my quote....ever. I try to understand why....but I never care about the fact they didnt accept.

I never go lower unless the customer reduces the work. " So Mrs Smith it will be $130"

"Oh, can you do it cheaper?"

"Yes I can, I can not do the edges and only charge $125?

"Oh thats ok, I want the edges done, $130 it is."

I mulch at every opportunity, Every nature strip, every front yard and most back yards unless it is a nicely manicured lawn that has little kids, dogs lying on ti etc. Usually about half of them. 

Think of the heat, the strain on your body, taxes, fees, invoicing, maintenance etc etc. Put a value on yourself, not on the grass you are cutting.......how much are you worth?

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Gday From Melbourne

Ah yes, apologies Lucky...wasnt sure if you were just being rhetorical or something.

How much is the monthly franchise fee? $700 plus $11 a lead, which I hardly pay anymore.

I'm guessing you also have to wear their uniform (and pay for) to? Of course, you wear their logo, and there is an approved style guide but you can buy any clothing you like.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Gday From Melbourne

90 plus reg customers?

These guys work to hard.

he keeps saying over and over again to "have your leads on" I bet they pay for leads and not a successful quote.

Why buy a business to keep only one of the clients?  That's like buying a café and then relocating it.

Ive seen lots, like bloody lots, of sales vids over the years and this is just another one of those. Interesting that its all about landscaping...

I got a lot out of it Luck but I don't have any sales background and I have been struggling with the quoting/business management side of things over the last few months - yes I think they pay for leads much like Hipages but as a general principal I can see what he means - don't stand still - keep your ad running and keep refining your run - Arfa used to say the time is in the turns - but when you're building a run the time is in sitting on your butt between jobs - and I've also got a legacy of dud quotes to deal with - every regular job I do now I ask myself 2 questions is the price good for me and do I want to do this.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Gday From Melbourne

well said mate

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gday From Melbourne

I got a lot out of it Luck but I don't have any sales background and I have been struggling with the quoting/business management side of things over the last few months - yes I think they pay for leads much like Hipages but as a general principal I can see what he means - don't stand still - keep your ad running and keep refining your run - Arfa used to say the time is in the turns - but when you're building a run the time is in sitting on your butt between jobs - and I've also got a legacy of dud quotes to deal with - every regular job I do now I ask myself 2 questions is the price good for me and do I want to do this.

I meant more that that video is to sell the Franchise Itself. In particular the leads. He mentions" turn your leads on" allot. At $11 a hit it would be a great earner for Jims. Just two a day adds up over the week. I also found it interesting that its more about other jobs rather than mowing. In particular landscaping. Which I would imagine those jobs would be few are far between in leads, For these jobs wouldn't you be much better off chasing builders? 

In the clip he refers to quote mojo. In the car sales game its called being nicked in the head (being nicked for short). Every ones making sales and you cannot do anything right. You feel down and start acting depressed and defeated which of cause means you have less chance of doing things properly.

The thing to do when your quotes are not being excepted is to step back and start from basics again.

I did write up a guide on how I go about the quote presentation (including tips on wording)  but due to the search function on this forum I'm unable to find it.

I highly recommend Zig Zigler for easy,entertaining sales tips. And that's something that mower men need when starting out. We HAVE to sell ourselves, our business and our service. Give this an hr, bet ya learn something that will help.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Gday From Melbourne

The thing I couldn't swallow is the $700 a month plus the leads. You really are working for Mr penman making a rich guy richer.I would gladly take that much Id even teach you how to do the job properly and after 6 months drop the $700.

What  happens if you want a month off ,that will be $700  sir.

Don't get me wrong I know some jims that are good guys and they have a place. I would rather more jims and less beer bobs that drag the industry down

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Gday From Melbourne

I think that the most important thing that can be learnt from Colsy's post's would be the belief in self worth.

Ive read too many times on this & similar forums, ppl who are lawnies/gardeners & therefor think they are just #### kickers.

Until they change their attitudes, unfortunately, that is what they will remain.

Cheers Fred

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales