Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Gday From Melbourne

Hi Colsey, just curious, could you clarify the possible contradiction with your experience ?

Post 1 says your new to the game, post 15 says your highly experienced?

Have I overlooked something ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Gday From Melbourne

Hi Colsey, just curious, could you clarify the possible contradiction with your experience ?

Cheers Fred.

hehe..i wasn't going to say anything...lol

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gday From Melbourne

The thing I couldn't swallow is the $700 a month plus the leads. You really are working for Mr penman making a rich guy richer.I would gladly take that much Id even teach you how to do the job properly and after 6 months drop the $700.

What  happens if you want a month off ,that will be $700  sir.

Don't get me wrong I know some jims that are good guys and they have a place. I would rather more jims and less beer bobs that drag the industry down

yea its a crazy amount. I could not have my lifestyle and pay that. Id have to bloody work for a living. 

I think all the VIPs and Jims here charge less than I do, never lost a quote to them though.  ;) 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Gday From Melbourne

The $8400++/ year is 7 months of grocery shopping for me.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Gday From Melbourne

i dont know too much about jims, being indy was the goal from the start and couldnt be prouder cos every thing i have is my doing.

That said i dont get the animosity, i think everyone that has started in the last 10 maybe 20 years owes a bit to Jims, when i was a kid 1 person in the street paid to have their lawn cut and it was more or less a greenkeeper, nowadays largely  thanks to Jims its well and truly in the public perception that you dont have to cut your own lawn, and we all benefit from that.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Gday From Melbourne

I think, unfortunately for Jims, franchising in Australia has been on the nose with the general public for a while. The RFG mess:-

http://www.smh.com.a...207-h00lbl.html

is just the latest to hit the news after 7-Eleven earlier this year - the perception is, like timeshare, it's a ripoff designed to make the franchisor rich off the backs of the franchisees with the power balance totally skewed to the former.

Jims seems to be one of the good ones - at least not a ripoff anyway - and the entry cost is relatively low so you don't mortgage the house to get one - but basic lawnmowing is such a simple game it's hard for me to justify spending the money - even with my lack of sales/management/marketing nous - as Lucky says I could get that just as well from someone like Zig Ziglar or any number of life/business coaches - and even with my cr@p soft skills I still have built a business, for just equipment outlay, which is evolving and getting more profitable as I learn new skills

But it's a personal choice, I don't have a mortgage and I didn't need to earn a full wage from the start - I was happy just to get the fook out of offices and away from computers - but I understand why someone else would go the franchise route for sure.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Colsy
Colsy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Gday From Melbourne

Cheers Fred.

Yes totally understandable and i thought that when I wrote it.

I have been gardening since I first left school where I took a job in a nursery for 5 years but then went into corporate. But have been an obsessive gardener since then and a power tool fanatic and have been a hands on guy all my life. My profile pic is my back yard, paradise on Earth!! LOL.,  Was laid off 4 years ago and started doing odd jobby kind of stuff including gardening, mowing and whatever but was a very sporadic thing I did between jobs, purely chasing some money to keep the wolves at the door, never did any marketing or pushed it very much as I thought it was temporary, and thought I would get another awesome corporate job.

But decided to get into Jims after my brother finally convinced me. So....highly experienced in gardening, mowing, horticulture.........relatively new to running a bonafide gardening business.

Also want to point out that I doubt David Wood is using/paying for leads anymore. No JIms is paying for leads after a year, if he is he hasnt done his marketing well.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Gday From Melbourne

Also want to point out that I doubt David Wood is using/paying for leads anymore. No JIms is paying for leads after a year, if he is he hasnt done his marketing well.

Yea, I agree but he says he "has his leads turned on" and does so to "continually update his business". The video whilst  motivational is mealy marketing a profit marketing tool. Not the best done either as when buying a mowing business the money is in the clients, yet he has only one client from the business he bought. So he bought bad customers. Bad customers= a bad business. And I know I keep going back to it but I still find it interesting that its more about Landscaping. Its obviously the way they want Jims to get more involved into. Less Franchise competition in that area? Jims seem to have a franchise for everything these days. He is a smart man.

Sorry of I'm picking the video apart but that video doesn't sell or motivate me one bit. There is simply to many holes in it.

$600 a month will get you pretty good radio time here.

Please don't take me wrong I'm in no way against franchises. They suit people who would rather not build a round from scratch (which is hard for most of us- no argument) and provide a liveable income from day one and is worth more to on sell at a later date.

Unlike Croc I have a mortgage but its a very low one but like Croc I don't need to earn a large wage anymore and certainly don't want to work longish hrs or give money to a third party for no real reason.

We all mow lawns, we all do the same job and face the same challengers and we all go about it in the way that best suites us.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Colsy
Colsy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Gday From Melbourne

Yea, I agree but he says he "has his leads turned on" and does so to "continually update his business". The video whilst  motivational is mealy marketing a profit marketing tool. Not the best done either as when buying a mowing business the money is in the clients, yet he has only one client from the business he bought. So he bought bad customers. Bad customers= a bad business. And I know I keep going back to it but I still find it interesting that its more about Landscaping. Its obviously the way they want Jims to get more involved into. Less Franchise competition in that area? Jims seem to have a franchise for everything these days. He is a smart man.

We all mow lawns, we all do the same job and face the same challengers and we all go about it in the way that best suites us.

Yes but thats just the way that David runs his business, every Jims is different.  Me, I dont do any landscaping, I could but cant be bothered with it so I choose not to. I also dont do hard rubbish. Jims does not care what jobs you do or dont do. I also didnt buy any customers, I wanted to build it from scratch and get to know my customers from the start, sounds like David inherited some bad clients and I knew that was a risk so I chose to go zero customers.

I do like your last comment Lucky and completely agree.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales